Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-04-05T14:18:59Z by jmerinoh
jmerinoh
jmerinoh
4 Posts

Pinned topic HTTP server administration extremely slow.

‏2012-04-03T04:19:49Z |
Hi folks,

http://mysystem.com:2001/HTTPAdmin is running extremely slow in our machine, we are on V7R1 and we recently applied the latest PTFs but there was not effect whatsoever to improve the performance time.

The slowness has been there since this machine had V6R1.

In the past we didn't care about the slowness since we used green screen and direct editions to the Apache Web Config files, but now we are trying to use the Web Services Application Server and we want the response time improved.

As I said, we have the latest PTFs Cum, Hiper, DB Group, HTTP and JAVA as per the last weekend.

Also, the regular RPG-CGI and Apache stuff works with great performance, it responds in no time.
The "IBM Systems Navigator for i" https://mysystem.com:2005/ibm/console/login.do?action=secure takes over 60 seconds to reply, but still it is "way faster" than the HTTPAdmin which takes minutes to refresh or show the screen.

Any ideas what could possible could be causing this extremely slowness?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Jorge Merino
Updated on 2012-04-05T14:18:59Z at 2012-04-05T14:18:59Z by jmerinoh
  • Timmr
    Timmr
    4 Posts

Re: HTTP server administration extremely slow.

‏2012-04-03T19:36:16Z  
    There are a couple of suggestions I can give that may help.

First - Look at WRKSYSSTS - This application affects 2 pools. Machine pool and the Base pool. The biggest item that can hurt the performance is to few threads in the BASE pool. It is recommended that you have several gig of memory in the BASE pool and even up to 1000 threads depending on how may folks will be access the Web application. The other item that is recommended in the Web environment is to turn the QPFRADJ (automatic performance tuner) system value off.

The other item that can significantly impact your Java workloads is if you have issues with your DNS servers. We have a great tool that will help you examine your TCP/IP configuration to help determine if you have these issues.

From the command line, enter QSH. Enter the following script.
    /QIBM/ProdData/OS/OSGi/templates/bin/areVerify.sh -network

The output for the script is located in /network.out

Review that file to determine if there are any issues found. If the tool encounters an issue or even the possibility of something that is not idea, it will be flagged with 'ERROR' or 'WARNING' Correct these to ensure you are not encountering timeout issues in Java due to these.

If there is no improvement with these recommendations, it would be best to open a service call. This will allow our development team to help take a closer look .
  • jmerinoh
    jmerinoh
    4 Posts

Re: HTTP server administration extremely slow.

‏2012-04-05T14:18:59Z  
    • Timmr
    • ‏2012-04-03T19:36:16Z
    There are a couple of suggestions I can give that may help.

First - Look at WRKSYSSTS - This application affects 2 pools. Machine pool and the Base pool. The biggest item that can hurt the performance is to few threads in the BASE pool. It is recommended that you have several gig of memory in the BASE pool and even up to 1000 threads depending on how may folks will be access the Web application. The other item that is recommended in the Web environment is to turn the QPFRADJ (automatic performance tuner) system value off.

The other item that can significantly impact your Java workloads is if you have issues with your DNS servers. We have a great tool that will help you examine your TCP/IP configuration to help determine if you have these issues.

From the command line, enter QSH. Enter the following script.
    /QIBM/ProdData/OS/OSGi/templates/bin/areVerify.sh -network

The output for the script is located in /network.out

Review that file to determine if there are any issues found. If the tool encounters an issue or even the possibility of something that is not idea, it will be flagged with 'ERROR' or 'WARNING' Correct these to ensure you are not encountering timeout issues in Java due to these.

If there is no improvement with these recommendations, it would be best to open a service call. This will allow our development team to help take a closer look .
    Tim, thanks for your reply.

According to the log that I found the other day in the folder '/www/WSERVICE/lwi/logs/' while I was trying to locate the issue, I found:

2012/04/03 10:39:57.409 SEVERE Could not rename configuration temp file ::class.method=unknown ::thread=Start Level Event Dispatcher ::loggername=org.eclipse.update.configurator
    2012/04/03 10:40:02.681 SEVERE Web Container : com.ibm.pvc.internal.webcontainer.VirtualHost : CWPWC0028E: Error accessing the web application /LWIApplication ThreadHttpServer : 0,5,main ::class.method=com.ibm.ejs.ras.Tr.error() ::thread=HttpServer : 0 ::loggername=com.ibm.ejs.ras
    2012/04/03 10:40:04.693 SEVERE Web Container : com.ibm.pvc.internal.webcontainer.VirtualHost : CWPWC0028E: Error accessing the web application /LWIApplication ThreadHttpServer : 1,5,main ::class.method=com.ibm.ejs.ras.Tr.error() ::thread=HttpServer : 1 ::loggername=com.ibm.ejs.ras

---
    It is not the entire log, however, since I couldn't make the Web Services service to expose a ILE RPG program and we were in a hurry, I decided to use CGI-RPG and it is not longer an issue for now.

Thanks for the reply.