9 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-04-12T18:22:40Z by Jim Sharpe
kjerick
kjerick
227 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Streams v2.0.0.4 is available

‏2012-04-02T15:01:37Z |
Hello everyone,

I just realized while responding to another post that involved an update to the InfoCenter documentation for InfoSphere Streams that I haven't yet brought attention to the latest update of Streams to this forum. Last week version 2.0.0.4 became available. In this release we delivered:

1) First ever availability for Streams on RHEL Power Linux
2) Support for RHEL 6 and CentOS on x86
3) Improved consumability for native functions and operators
4) Expanded ODBC support
5) Best practices recommendations for developers
6) Many fixes and other improvements

Best regards,
Kevin
  • BruceGlassford
    BruceGlassford
    71 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Streams v2.0.0.4 is available

‏2012-04-02T20:29:20Z  in response to kjerick
    Thanks for posting that, Kevin!

I spent some time working with installs on CentOS 5.8 and 6.2 over the weekend (all on 64-bit VMs). Some things that might help others/observations:

• The Streams Studio installation does NOT work with the latest XText (2.3 is the latest stable release, 2.2.1 is at the top of the XText downloads page, the latest I could get to work was XText 2.1.1 - it appears to be missing a bundle: com.google.collect for the newer XTexts)
    • CentOS 5.8 installed as documented.
    • CentOS 6.2 needed: glibc.i686 and libgcc.i686 (the 32-bit versions), and policycoreutils-python installed. Policycoreutils-python installed a number of other packages as pre-requisites, but I did not capture them on the way by.
    • kjerick
      kjerick
      227 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-03T13:30:11Z  in response to BruceGlassford
      Hi Bruce,

Thank you for posting your experiences.

It is possible that Streams Studio will not work with some of the very latest versions of XText. The Studio documentation for 2.0.0.4 found here states that it supports versions 2.0.x, and has been tested with 2.0.0 and 2.0.1.

Regarding packages and dependencies, RedHat did remove some of them from being installed by default when they went from RHEL 5 to RHEL 6. Also, unless the administrator doing the installation takes all the defaults during the OS installation, each installation of RHEL or CentOS will differ depending on the whims of the administrator as they select features they would like installed. Hence, each resulting installation will differ in which of the InfoSphere Streams dependencies may be missing, if any. So the best thing to do is to simply run the dependency checker that comes with InfoSphere Streams to see if any dependencies are missing, and then install them as needed.

Best regards,
      Kevin
      • laurieaw
        laurieaw
        72 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-03T17:54:45Z  in response to kjerick
        Streams dependency checking assumes that you are starting with a RHEL graphical mode installation and all the defaults were selected during the installation. Any software deployed by the default installation are not checked. Streams software dependencies over and above the "default" installation are checked.

See this Streams Information Center link for details:
      • BruceGlassford
        BruceGlassford
        71 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-04T21:54:12Z  in response to kjerick
        Thanks, Kevin & Laurie!

Helps to have the documentation available - I pulled the patch down Friday before the web-based Streams Documentation was updated, so had nothing to go on. Nice and relatively painless install on both OSs I was testing it with - just wanted to document what I found in case others are also pushing the envelope (intentionally or not) on releases of the other products, to save them searching - the dependency checker caught everything except the libgcc dependency and XText's changes for the newer versions (which is part of the Studio install, so not in scope for the dependency checker).
      • Jim Sharpe
        Jim Sharpe
        98 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-12T16:47:32Z  in response to kjerick
        Hi Bruce,

How did you get past the dependency check for gcc-c++ on Centos 6.2? The release documentation states:

"the maximum version of the gcc-c++ RPM must be earlier than Version 4.5. Version 4.5, or later cannot be used with Streams."

The default yum repo for 6.2 installs version 4.4.6-3.el6 which would seem to be ok since it's lower than 4.5 but the dependency checker still complains with the following:

• Status: EXCEEDED LEVEL - Package: gcc-c++, System Version: 4.4.6-3.el6
        Error: The version that is installed exceeds the maximum requirement of 4.1.9999. Install any version between minimum version of 4.1.2-44.el5 and maximum version of 4.1.9999.

Finding an older version rpm to install is tricky since it in turn has other (old) dependencies I would also have to track down.

Also I'm getting a missing package error for curl-devel even though it is installed. Did you have any issue with that one?

• Status: MISSING - Package: curl-devel, System Version: Not applicable

1. yum install curl-devel
        Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security, versionlock
        Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
        * base: mirror.unl.edu
        * extras: mirrors.xmission.com
        * updates: mirrors.xmission.com
        Setting up Install Process
        Package libcurl-devel-7.19.7-26.el6_2.4.x86_64 already installed and latest version
        Nothing to do
        Error: Dependency curl-devel is not installed. Install the minimum version of 7.15.5-2.el5.
        #
        • laurieaw
          laurieaw
          72 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-12T16:58:21Z  in response to Jim Sharpe
          What installation bundle are you using? You should be using the installation bundle for 6.1 to install to CentOS 6.2.

Please run <install-dir>/bin/dependency_checker.sh -v 2 ... and post the results.
          • Jim Sharpe
            Jim Sharpe
            98 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-12T17:09:29Z  in response to laurieaw
            I think you discovered the problem. I used 2.0.0.4-IM-Streams-DE-rhel-5-x86_64-fp0004.tar.gz I'll try using the 6.x bundle instead.
            • Jim Sharpe
              Jim Sharpe
              98 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-12T18:22:40Z  in response to Jim Sharpe
              The dependency check and install went find when I actually used the correct bundle. Sorry for the distraction.
  • mendell
    mendell
    219 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

SPL Toolkit changes in 2.0.0.4

‏2012-04-03T15:21:07Z  in response to kjerick
    See Changes for details.

• DeDuplicate has an optional second port for the 'matched and suppressed' tuples, and also has new parameters: count, delta, deltaAttribute, flushOnPunctuation, resetOnDuplicate.
    • DirectoryScan custom output functions behaviour has been clarified
    • FileSource, TCPSource, UDPSource interpretation of fields in CSV format has been fixed to be more consistent (see also ignoreExtraCSVValues parameter)
    • other small changes