Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-03-30T16:48:34Z by Dragos.Cojocari
ByGeorge
ByGeorge
18 Posts

Pinned topic Using DOORS for tables?

‏2012-03-29T19:27:13Z |
I am using RPE to export a performance standard from DOORS into MSWord. My engineers don't like DOORS tables, which they are currently using. (Side note, not sure if it matters but, I am also using RPE and Word macros to generate Figure numbers.) So my questions are these:

1) Are there distinct advantages to using the DOORS tables?
I am aware of two. 1) DOORS offers change tracking and 2) DOORS allows you to link to individual cells within the DOORS table.

2) If I don't use DOORS tables, what is my best alternative?
Embedded OLE?

Thank you,
Updated on 2012-03-30T16:48:34Z at 2012-03-30T16:48:34Z by Dragos.Cojocari
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1616 Posts

Re: Using DOORS for tables?

‏2012-03-30T08:03:16Z  
    Hey Julie,

I can't answer the first question but hopefully some DOORS SMEs will do. On the second question OLEs are the only solution since tables coming as RTF are not supported by the API that RPE uses to pull data from DOORS. But note that OLE's will require you to have Microsoft Word installed on the machines performing doc gen and they are more expensive in terms of memory needed ( especially on the DXL side) as well as performance wise.

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
  • ByGeorge
    ByGeorge
    18 Posts

‏2012-03-30T13:43:40Z  
    So the disadvantages of using an OLE is that it will take more memory and it will take longer for output. That I understand.

I have been experimenting and I have a technical question.

Background: When I export (thru RPE) an Excel table, that was OLE embedded into DOORS, I can't make changes to that table. For example, I am using a Macro to update the Figure #s, but it doesn't work on the text in the OLE table.

Question: How does RPE 'read' an OLE embedded file? And can I change that? For example, does RPE treat the table as a picture? Can I have RPE view, and treat, the OLE-embedded table as a table or some other editable text?

Thank you, again.
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1616 Posts

‏2012-03-30T14:03:39Z  
    • ByGeorge
    • ‏2012-03-30T13:43:40Z
    So the disadvantages of using an OLE is that it will take more memory and it will take longer for output. That I understand.

I have been experimenting and I have a technical question.

Background: When I export (thru RPE) an Excel table, that was OLE embedded into DOORS, I can't make changes to that table. For example, I am using a Macro to update the Figure #s, but it doesn't work on the text in the OLE table.

Question: How does RPE 'read' an OLE embedded file? And can I change that? For example, does RPE treat the table as a picture? Can I have RPE view, and treat, the OLE-embedded table as a table or some other editable text?

Thank you, again.
    Hey,

by default RPE will export only a static snapshot of the OLE, an image. You cannot activate and modify it. TO have OLEs extracted you need to tell RPE to do so. This is not the default behavior to its cost.

See this for guidance on exporting OLEs from DOORS with RPE: Extracting DOORS OLEs.

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1616 Posts

‏2012-03-30T16:48:34Z  
    Hey,

by default RPE will export only a static snapshot of the OLE, an image. You cannot activate and modify it. TO have OLEs extracted you need to tell RPE to do so. This is not the default behavior to its cost.

See this for guidance on exporting OLEs from DOORS with RPE: Extracting DOORS OLEs.

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
    An interesting discussion on DOORS tables is available on DOORS User Group

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual