Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-03-29T23:27:27Z by JohnTilling
isocics
isocics
12 Posts

Pinned topic CICS Explorer reporting insufficient CSDSTRNO.

‏2012-03-28T15:41:12Z |
I am trying to use the CICS Explorer to view the CSD definitions into CICS TS 4.2. It is ending with a CNX00591E: EXEC CICS command(CSD STARTBRGROUP) RESP(CSDERR) RESP2(5). And this error withing the MSGUSR log in the region: ...CONL Unable to perform request - The CSDSTRNO operand in the System Initialization Table(SIT) is too small. I have increased CSDSTRNO TO 254 without getting it to work. I have also successfully done a CECI STARTBRGROUP with no errors. What can I try so that the Explorer will display correctly. BTW, I have used the Explorer to define an new object in the CSD. Thank you.
Updated on 2012-03-29T23:27:27Z at 2012-03-29T23:27:27Z by JohnTilling
  • isocics
    isocics
    12 Posts

Re: CICS Explorer reporting insufficient CSDSTRNO.

‏2012-03-29T11:38:18Z  
    The CSDSTRNO parameter does not take effect unless the region is started COLD or INITIAL. So I issued a CECI EXEC CICS SET FILE(DFHCSD) STRINGS(24) and the EXPLORER started to work. Interesting that this particular parameter cannot be overrid without a COLD start but the value of CSDSTRNO is taken from the global catalog. Issued solved.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    124 Posts

‏2012-03-29T11:59:26Z  
    • isocics
    • ‏2012-03-29T11:38:18Z
    The CSDSTRNO parameter does not take effect unless the region is started COLD or INITIAL. So I issued a CECI EXEC CICS SET FILE(DFHCSD) STRINGS(24) and the EXPLORER started to work. Interesting that this particular parameter cannot be overrid without a COLD start but the value of CSDSTRNO is taken from the global catalog. Issued solved.
    Hi

Glad you got your problem sorted out. I thought I best check our documentation just incase there was something missing regarding CSDSTRNO but it looks like this has the following statement:

This parameter is effective only on a CICS cold or initial start. On a warm or emergency restart, file resource definitions for the CSD are recovered from the global catalog. However, you can redefine the number of strings for the CSD dynamically with an EXEC CICS SET FILE command.

I would assume this has something to do with the way that the CSD is processed during the startup of a CICS region and its very early in processing, but I'm not sure of the finer details.

Good one to know for the future.

Cheers

Adam Coulthard
  • JohnTilling
    JohnTilling
    7 Posts

‏2012-03-29T23:27:27Z  
    • isocics
    • ‏2012-03-29T11:38:18Z
    Hi,

Yes, the only reason the CSD parameters are in the SIT is because you can't RDO define the CSD file because RDO needs uses the CSD file! Hence these SIT parameters are the equivalent of RDO defining the CSD file. With RDO the definition from the CSD is only used on a cold or initial start. On a warm or emergency start the definition is recovered from a catalog, hence the same applies to these SIT parms for the CSD, they only apply on cold or initial starts.

Regards,
    John Tilling