Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-09-03T07:28:25Z by sasibaratams
cmp66
cmp66
1 Post

Pinned topic Business Glossary Structure Noobie

‏2012-03-28T00:11:26Z |
Below is my Business Glossary Structure.

I have three categories – AllState, Claims and Fraud. Claims and Fraud are subcategories of AllState (I attached a diagram).

I have the term “SSN” which is defined in both Claims and Fraud.
Term: SSN
Description: is a nine-digit number issued to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and temporary (working) residents.

However, the term SSN physical asset is located in two different locations.

For Claims SSN is located AS1:schema1:person:SSN (hostname:schema:tablename:columnname)
For Fraud SSN is located AS1:schema2:person:SSN

The user should be able to access two ways:
Click AllState>>Claims>>SSN (AS1:schema1:person:SSN)
Click AllState>>Fraud>>SSN (AS1:schema2:person:SSN)

I do not want to define SSN in the subcategories because the definitions are the same. I could define it in the category “AllState” because a term can be assigned to multiple assets but then I wouldn’t know that the sub domains Claims and Fraud uses SSN as well. So the scenario is that a technical user would like to see what sub domains uses SSN and their physical assets. So with the solution I listed above s/he would click AllState and see that SSN is used in the domain AllState and their physical assets but wouldn’t know that the sub domains uses SSN as well.
Updated on 2012-09-03T07:28:25Z at 2012-09-03T07:28:25Z by sasibaratams
  • sunuser
    sunuser
    2 Posts

Re: Business Glossary Structure Noobie

‏2012-05-31T01:12:02Z  
    I will be interested to see what responses you get. I tackle this one of two ways:
    1. create a separate instance of the defintion for each subcategory (not ideal if the defintion is independent of its usage)
    2. leave it in the top category but show that it is linked to the assets so you can see what subcategories use it. But of course that only helps if the asset path is intuitive
    The other ways I toyed with were to re create the asset structures as technical business terms (with the defintions taken straight from the source system mapping documents) and then link these terms to the business term.
    Or I might include something about its usage in the long description too if it adds any busienss meaning.
  • sasibaratams
    sasibaratams
    9 Posts

‏2012-09-03T07:28:04Z  
    You can Claims and Fraud as referencing categories to term SSN. When you view the term in BG, it lists the referencing categories in header section. In this way you can keep track of categories/sub-domains that use this term
  • sasibaratams
    sasibaratams
    9 Posts

‏2012-09-03T07:28:25Z  
    You can add Claims and Fraud as referencing categories to term SSN. When you view the term in BG, it lists the referencing categories in header section. In this way you can keep track of categories/sub-domains that use this term