• 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-03-30T22:26:39Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
9029 Posts

Pinned topic Custom Builder Issue

‏2012-03-27T13:12:16Z |
Hi,

In my project i am having some custom builders. Basically "bdef" files will be created based on "Builder Skelton" builder input. But i am not able to find out the path of the "Builder skelton" of custom builder.

Can you help on find that path?
Updated on 2012-03-30T22:26:39Z at 2012-03-30T22:26:39Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9029 Posts

Re: Custom Builder Issue

‏2012-03-27T14:26:14Z  
    Hi,

The bdef file will be located within the WebContent\WEB-INF\builders in a sub-directory using the id that you gave your custom builder in the builder skeleton. The Java classes for the builder regen and optional coordinator classes will be located under the WebContent\WEB-INF\work\source (using the package name you specified in the builder skeleton).
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9029 Posts

‏2012-03-27T15:09:28Z  
    Hi,

The bdef file will be located within the WebContent\WEB-INF\builders in a sub-directory using the id that you gave your custom builder in the builder skeleton. The Java classes for the builder regen and optional coordinator classes will be located under the WebContent\WEB-INF\work\source (using the package name you specified in the builder skeleton).
    Sorry I think you misunderstood my question.

Whatever you are said is exactly correct. But i am not able to find out my "Builder Skelton" builder available path.

We will add "Builder Skelton" builder in model for creating custom builder. For already existing custom builders, i am not able to find path of "Builder Skelton" builder available model.

Please suggest
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9029 Posts

‏2012-03-27T16:17:44Z  
    I'm having difficulty understanding your question. Perhaps if you explain why it is you want to find the path of the Builder Skeleton, and what you would do with it when you found it, it would help me to understand your question.

When making a custom build, one generally starts with an empty model, adds the Builder Skeleton builder to it, and then uses the Builder Skeleton to generate the new builder - call it MyNewBuilder. After that, you can either so back to the original model and continue to edit/regenerate in the Builder Skeleton, or simply continue to work on MyNewBuilder directly by working with the files that tom.b pointed out.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9029 Posts

‏2012-03-28T05:02:43Z  
    I'm having difficulty understanding your question. Perhaps if you explain why it is you want to find the path of the Builder Skeleton, and what you would do with it when you found it, it would help me to understand your question.

When making a custom build, one generally starts with an empty model, adds the Builder Skeleton builder to it, and then uses the Builder Skeleton to generate the new builder - call it MyNewBuilder. After that, you can either so back to the original model and continue to edit/regenerate in the Builder Skeleton, or simply continue to work on MyNewBuilder directly by working with the files that tom.b pointed out.
    Because in my project, i am having the custom builder name with "XML mapper". I want to enhance that custom builder. If i have that Builder Skelton builder, i can refer that builder for enhancement.

I tried with some dummy "Builder Skelton" but added the code(bdef,coordinator,java) from existing "XML mapper". When I close and open the WPF, my entire code will get impacted based on my dummy builder skelton builder structure format. All the code changes are getting lost.

Please help.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9029 Posts

‏2012-03-28T11:42:27Z  
    Because in my project, i am having the custom builder name with "XML mapper". I want to enhance that custom builder. If i have that Builder Skelton builder, i can refer that builder for enhancement.

I tried with some dummy "Builder Skelton" but added the code(bdef,coordinator,java) from existing "XML mapper". When I close and open the WPF, my entire code will get impacted based on my dummy builder skelton builder structure format. All the code changes are getting lost.

Please help.
    Hi,

The Builder Skeleton is great for getting started, but then you typically modify the BDEF, Regen class, and Coordinator class using a editor. I suggest doing that for your existing builder.
  • mburati
    mburati
    2576 Posts

‏2012-03-28T12:49:07Z  

Please help.
    The forum search above is great for helping out with questions like this that have likely been asked before.
    When I just searched, the following thread came up where Zag and Kevin pointed out (like Tom) that the Builder Skeleton is best used as a one time wizard to generation the initial skeleton of a builder.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=14774980

..mb1
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9029 Posts

‏2012-03-30T22:26:39Z  
    Just to close this one out...

If you don't already have a starter model with a Builder Skeleton for a custom builder, then there is no way to hook an existing custom builder to a new Builder Skeleton.

The Builder Skeleton is just for getting started - it does not contain all functions that one might want to do to create and maintain a custom builder. So it's a good idea to learn how to edit the BDEF, java class, and any helper classes directly in the appropriate editors if you want to become a Builder Pro.