Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-05-26T14:15:28Z by LJU
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
658 Posts

Pinned topic TM1 Performance Modeler - "unable to connect to planning service"

‏2012-03-26T02:08:34Z |
Has anyone encountered an issue where, when launching TM1 Performance Modeler, after selecting the server you'd like to create an application for you receive the following message: "Unable to connect to the planning service."

The TM1 database was originally created in TM1 9.5.2 and I'm now using TM1 10.1.0. Up till a couple of days ago, I was able to load TM1 Performance Modeler and Cognos Insight against this model without any issue. Now... I just get this message. I had thought that it may have been something with TM1 Applications, or TM1 Performance Modeler. So I put an empty model in place of the model and launched it. I was able to connect to the empty model without issue. But with the model back in the proper place, it gives me the message again.

I had previously stipped out most of the TM1 9.5.2 control objects, so I figured there should be no impact. I even copied the empty model objects over the existing files to ensure I was able to use the TM1 10.1.0 features. But that doesn't seem to have helped.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
DM
Updated on 2012-06-15T17:23:30Z at 2012-06-15T17:23:30Z by nedcpa
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    658 Posts

Re: TM1 Performance Modeler - "unable to connect to planning service"

‏2012-05-03T20:51:20Z  
    DM, having same issue have opened SR with support but not resolution at this time. Let's keep each other updated on this issue.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    658 Posts

‏2012-05-04T10:32:19Z  
    DM, having same issue have opened SR with support but not resolution at this time. Let's keep each other updated on this issue.
    I was able to finally get this working. The problem "seems" to be how the new TM1 control objects are built in TM1 10.1. Resolving it was rather time consuming though, hopefully the developers can address this.

The method I took was as follows:
    1. Create TEMPLATE model. Basically an empty TM1 model. Then I linked it up to TM1 Applications and Cognos Insight to make sure it worked.
    2. I then moved the files from my main model into a separate folder and removed all the }tp_XXX.pro files.
    3. I then copied the TEMPLATE model in place of my normal model, so that only the TEMPLATE model was in place.
    4. Started the service to make sure I could link to the model through TM1 Applications. Then stopped the service.
    5. I would then gradually copy files from my main model that I knew I needed. First starting with the dimensions, their associated }ElementAttribute dimension files and the }ElementAttribute cubes. But only for those dimensions that I needed. There should be no prompt saying you're overwriting a file.
    6. Restarted and checked that I could still connect.
    7. Repeated step 5, but for processes (.pro files). Then repeated step 6.
    8. Repeated step 5, but for cubes (.cub files). Then repeated step 6.

All along I would check the logs and could see the objects being registered. I'd clear out the log files after each restart.

Quite the pain, but it worked... of course, when working in development with multiple people copying objects in, things get messed. I'm going to have to do this again :(
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    658 Posts

‏2012-05-22T22:40:45Z  
    I was able to finally get this working. The problem "seems" to be how the new TM1 control objects are built in TM1 10.1. Resolving it was rather time consuming though, hopefully the developers can address this.

The method I took was as follows:
    1. Create TEMPLATE model. Basically an empty TM1 model. Then I linked it up to TM1 Applications and Cognos Insight to make sure it worked.
    2. I then moved the files from my main model into a separate folder and removed all the }tp_XXX.pro files.
    3. I then copied the TEMPLATE model in place of my normal model, so that only the TEMPLATE model was in place.
    4. Started the service to make sure I could link to the model through TM1 Applications. Then stopped the service.
    5. I would then gradually copy files from my main model that I knew I needed. First starting with the dimensions, their associated }ElementAttribute dimension files and the }ElementAttribute cubes. But only for those dimensions that I needed. There should be no prompt saying you're overwriting a file.
    6. Restarted and checked that I could still connect.
    7. Repeated step 5, but for processes (.pro files). Then repeated step 6.
    8. Repeated step 5, but for cubes (.cub files). Then repeated step 6.

All along I would check the logs and could see the objects being registered. I'd clear out the log files after each restart.

Quite the pain, but it worked... of course, when working in development with multiple people copying objects in, things get messed. I'm going to have to do this again :(
    After going through this again, I've noticed that if I leave out some views, it will work again. Why? I have no idea...
  • fmgd
    fmgd
    1 Post

‏2012-06-01T16:05:55Z  
    I've experienced exactly the same problem may be in a different context : after coding a dynamic subset in Performance modeler...with line break.
    It seems that it works correctly when coding, but not possible after leaving to re-open Performance Modeler again.
    After deleting manually the line break in the file ".vue", it works again as expected.
  • nedcpa
    nedcpa
    1 Post

‏2012-06-15T17:23:30Z  
    • fmgd
    • ‏2012-06-01T16:05:55Z
    I've experienced exactly the same problem may be in a different context : after coding a dynamic subset in Performance modeler...with line break.
    It seems that it works correctly when coding, but not possible after leaving to re-open Performance Modeler again.
    After deleting manually the line break in the file ".vue", it works again as expected.
    I saw the same message ("unable to connect to planning service") today after trying to open PM a few times. I just clicked on Cognos Insight icon, it opened CI, exit out CI, click PM icon again, and now PM is working. Not sure why and how the message ("unable to connect to planning service") disappeared.
  • YQ4K_Margono_Kusuma
    YQ4K_Margono_Kusuma
    1 Post

‏2013-12-25T08:23:04Z  

Hi all,

I'm running to the same error when opening Performance Modeler in TM1 10.2 BUT only for new model (spanking new model without anything in it yet). If I opened existing model that I migrated from TM1 10.1.1, I do not have any problem.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

• LJU
    LJU
    2 Posts

‏2014-05-26T14:15:28Z  

Hello,

actually we use two virtual machines, where is the Cognos server running. Problem is following. I´m able to connect to the first server, but unfortunatelly when I´m trying connect to the second server, Peformance modeler displays message: "Unable to connect planning service". Thanks for your ideas and help.

LJU