5 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-03-27T18:46:31Z by gsager
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1493 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Invalid location installing fixpack 7.0.0.2 for WPF on Linux

‏2012-03-23T09:30:57Z |
Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade a working WPF 7.0.0 installation on Linux with WPF 7.0.0.2 fixpack (WPF_7002_FIXPACK.zip). After giving the right permissions to Factory.bin and launching it, it's not possible to go beyond second screen (Portlet Factory 7.0.0 installation directory selection). No matter which Designer directory is selected it keeps telling me it's an invalid location.

Console mode is not supported on the installer fixpack, and the accompaining readme (wpf7002_fixpack_readme.htm) contains no instructions to make a properties file suitable for silent mode (maybe not supported?), so I'm in a dead end right now.

Any ideas or workarounds?

Thanks in advance.
Updated on 2012-03-27T18:46:31Z at 2012-03-27T18:46:31Z by gsager
  • kevintap
    kevintap
    111 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Invalid location installing fixpack 7.0.0.2 for WPF on Linux

‏2012-03-25T03:06:58Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I'm not sure why you're getting an error stating that the directory is an invalid location. Can you post the exact error message text that you're seeing? That will help to locate which test in the installer is failing.

As a work around, you can just unzip the fixpack.zip file to your Designer directory. When unzip asks if you want to overwrite any existing files, be sure to answer yes.

For example:

unzip fixpack.zip -d /opt/IBM/WPF700/Designer

Then follow the remaining instructions in the readme to complete the fixpack installation (like restarting the Designer with the -clean switch).

(I think) The only ill effect of running the fixpack installation like this is that the backup won't execute - so you won't be able to uninstall the fixpack and restore your environment to the base 7.0.0 version. (Not that there's any reason to want to do that anyway.)
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1493 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-26T08:25:44Z  in response to kevintap
      The attached image it's the error dialog on top of the the installation dialog, which shows also my Designer directory.
      No other text regarding the error is written on the console from which the Fixpack.bin was launched.

I guess I could backup the affected files manually first or just unzip with the -B flag, so I could go back if something doesn't work as expected.

So far it looks the workaround worked, thanks a lot!
  • gsager
    gsager
    18 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-26T18:02:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I believe the directory that you should target for the fixpack would be the directory without the Designer included so in your case /home/mones/IBM2/
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1493 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-27T08:49:10Z  in response to gsager
      You're right, gsager, choosing that dir the installation does succeed.

Then I think the default directory proposed by the installer, in my case "/home/mones/IBM/Portlet_Factory", is a bit misleading, because that suggests to select the Designer directory under IBM's directory.

If I can suggest some improvement to the fixpack installer: make it clear in the readme which directory to select, and also make default proposal less misleading, maybe remarking that "Portlet_Factory" is not part of the path to be selected.

Thanks for your help!
  • gsager
    gsager
    18 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-27T18:46:31Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Glad to help. Thanks for the suggestion I added a work item to have that info added to the read me