Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-03-28T07:29:05Z by thinwhitestripes
thinwhitestripes
thinwhitestripes
7 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Creating a custom computer template for MIB

‏2012-03-23T03:33:12Z |
Hi,

I am trying to discover a couple AS/400 computers. I would've used the i5/OS sensor however it only supports up to V5R3, unfortunately the versions I am to discover are V5R2. I would've tried anyway, but the different prerequisites for the sensor to succeed are not available such as the IBM Portable Utilities for i5/OS.

So I decided to create a custom computer template. I just have a couple of questions which I hope someone could enlighten me since I have very basic knowledge of SNMP.

1. How do I find the OID for AS/400? My understanding is that you use a MIB browser? Is this correct?
2. Do I have to do any preparations (software installation, login credentials etc.) on the target machine so I can extract information?
3. Where do I specify which information I want to be discovered by TADDM?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Updated on 2012-03-28T07:29:05Z at 2012-03-28T07:29:05Z by thinwhitestripes
  • doormat18
    doormat18
    133 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Creating a custom computer template for MIB

‏2012-03-26T12:57:26Z  in response to thinwhitestripes
    I went through something similar recently. Didn't have very much SNMP knowledge but wanted to extend discovery.

1. As far as the OID goes, google is your best friend. These OIDs are globally defined by the hardware manufacturer so you may want to start there. Also, TADDM should tell you in the logs during SNMP Mib2 sensor discovery the OID, but from there you can use google to find the data you are looking for.

2. You need to make sure the target machine has SNMP enabled. Much like SSH, it is a service that needs to be running. It also has security associated with it. If it is running SNMP v1 or v2 then you will need the "community string" to access, the default one is usually "public". If it is running SNMP v3, you will need user/pass. Both of these go in the TADDM access list. I believe the v1/v2 default community string is in TADDM by default.

3. This part is not going to be simple. You have to use the jython scripting extensions to pull in more than just the default Snmp. Here is a link that will help you build this part if it is truly what you need.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home?lang=en#/wiki/Tivoli%20Application%20Dependency%20Discovery%20Manager/page/Custom%20SNMP%20Sensor%20Template

Have fun!
    • thinwhitestripes
      thinwhitestripes
      7 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Creating a custom computer template for MIB

‏2012-03-28T07:29:05Z  in response to doormat18
      Hi!

Thanks for the information.
      Looks like I have a lot of work cut out for me.
      Well at least I have an idea of what I have to do.

Thanks again.