2 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-05-18T08:57:55Z by christy.wu
christy.wu
christy.wu
4 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Fastback BMR for Dissimiar Hardware

‏2012-03-17T10:59:36Z |
Hi,

I'm testing FastBack BMR with dissimilar hardware on a Lenovo A58 (Model 7705-RM9) from an XP vmware guest snapshot full backup. Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to create seperate FastBack for Bare Machine Recovery CD for each different Windows platform say Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 2003, Window 2008, etc?

2. I copied network driver for A58 to the Work folder C:\FastBackBMR\PEDrivers\NetworkDrivers\XP32 to be included in the Bare Machine Recovery CD. Should I name the driver folder with specifc name so that the network adapter will be recognized while booting FastBack for Bare Machine Recovery CD?

3. I am unable to find storage drivers from Lenovo support driver download web site http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/default.page?, is it ok that no driver to be kept under C:\FastBackBMR\PEDrivers\DissimilarStorageDrivers?

4. Just read from an APAR that TestDisk files should be kept under C:\FastBackBMR\TestDisk\Win, is this right?

Best Regards,
Christy
Updated on 2012-05-18T08:57:55Z at 2012-05-18T08:57:55Z by christy.wu
  • MichaelSternberg
    MichaelSternberg
    24 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Fastback BMR for Dissimiar Hardware

‏2012-03-21T13:18:08Z  in response to christy.wu
    Hi Christy,

There is no need to create a BMR CD for each different machine. The BMR CD is based on the windows 2008 operating system. It has all the default built-in drivers that windows 2008 support.

Therefore on most machines the BMR CD will load and recognize the storage and network without any need to add network or storage drivers.

However if you have a machine with hardware that is not supported by default in the windows 2008 installation (I am not sure if your Lenovo A58 Hardware is supported or not) you will have to add that driver while creating the BMR CD. Then you will have a BMR CD that contains all the default windows 2008 drivers and any other windows 2008 drivers you have added.

The easiest way to see if your hardware is supported by the default windows 2008 driver, is simply loading the BMR CD on that machine, open command line, and verify that operating system recognizes the disks and network cards. (you can use the command line ipconfig and diskpart commands).

The drivers you add under the C:\FastBackBMR\PEDrivers\ folder, should be windows 2008 32bit drivers. since that is the operating system the BMR uses.
    The names of the folders are not important, just make sure you have all the needed driver files there, such as *.sys and *.inf files.

Regarding the Testdisk, yes what you saw is correct, you will have to create a win folder and copy the content to that folder, as explained in the APAR.