Topic
  • 11 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-09-04T13:45:09Z by mickp82
scraps82
scraps82
6 Posts

Pinned topic Windows view private error "You need permission to perform this action"

‏2012-03-15T17:12:36Z |
Since moving to ClearCase 7 and Windows 7 I am getting read only view private files as a result of copying files between folders. On the same VOB under ClearCase 6 and Windows XP I was not. Please advise whether this is a setup issue, bug, how CC7 works or other.

We are using Windows 7 (64bit), ClearCase 7.1.2.4, VOB Schema 54, FeatureLevel 5

Copying a versioned file from one ClearCase folder to another in the GUI creates a read only view private copy. This read only view private file then can't be renamed, deleted or edited until the person that created the file either adds it to source or through Windows Explorer removes the read only flag. Other users that have access to the view are unable to do anything with the file.

This can't be right.

The error message that you get when attempting to delete/rename is:

You need permission to perform this action
You require permission from S-1-1-0 to make changes to file
Filename.xls
Type: Microsoft Excel 97-2003 Worksheet
Size: 119 KB
Date modified: 14/03/2012 16:26

And if you run cleartool describe -long Filename.xls

View private file "Filename.xls"
Modified: 14 March 2012 16:26
Protection:
User : EMEA\mick : r-x
Group: EMEA\Domain Users : r-x
Other: : r-x

Under Windows XP (32bit), ClearCase 6 (2003.06.10) using the same VOB copying a versioned file from one ClearCase folder to another in the GUI creates a writable view private copy.

When you run cleartool describe -long Filename.xls

View private file "Filename.xls"
Modified: 14 March 2012 16:26
Protection:
User : EMEA\mick : rwx
Group: EMEA\Domain Users : rwx
Other: : rwx
Updated on 2012-09-05T20:44:39Z at 2012-09-05T20:44:39Z by csant2
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts

Re: Windows view private error "You need permission to perform this action"

‏2012-03-19T17:09:14Z  
    You said you were copying a versioned file from one ClearCase folder to another. But did you notice in the cleartool describe for the file in your ClearCase 6 and XP that the file was identified as "View private"? Usually "versioned file" means that the file is been added into the ClearCase VOB.

A couple of things to check are the VOB and view access permissions, comparing them between the old (working) systems and the new one. The access group of "Domain users" looks like you didn't setup any special access group (Domain Group) for the VOB, so the User Environment Variable "CLEARCASE_PRIMARY_GROUP" may not be relevant in your case. When access groups are being used it would be.
  • scraps82
    scraps82
    6 Posts

‏2012-04-18T16:27:49Z  
    You said you were copying a versioned file from one ClearCase folder to another. But did you notice in the cleartool describe for the file in your ClearCase 6 and XP that the file was identified as "View private"? Usually "versioned file" means that the file is been added into the ClearCase VOB.

A couple of things to check are the VOB and view access permissions, comparing them between the old (working) systems and the new one. The access group of "Domain users" looks like you didn't setup any special access group (Domain Group) for the VOB, so the User Environment Variable "CLEARCASE_PRIMARY_GROUP" may not be relevant in your case. When access groups are being used it would be.
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

When I said "Copying a versioned file from one ClearCase folder to another" I meant that I am right clicking on a versioned file, within ClearCase Explorer, selecting copy and then going to another directory in the VOB and selecting paste. This should (I believe) create a view private copy with full write permissions for all users and leave the original versioned file alone.

The Views and VOBs being accessed are the same between both Windows 7 CC7 and Windows XP CC6. Looking at the Protections on the view there is full Read, Write, Execute for Owner, Group and Other. The VOB ownership for Group is DOMAIN\Domain Users so this shouldn't be an issue.

I should also mention that UAC is turned off and we are using Dynamic Views. Would this indicate a problem between Windows 7(64bit) and IBM's MVFS?

Regards,

Mick
  • martina
    martina
    1025 Posts

‏2012-04-18T16:37:06Z  
    • scraps82
    • ‏2012-04-18T16:27:49Z
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

When I said "Copying a versioned file from one ClearCase folder to another" I meant that I am right clicking on a versioned file, within ClearCase Explorer, selecting copy and then going to another directory in the VOB and selecting paste. This should (I believe) create a view private copy with full write permissions for all users and leave the original versioned file alone.

The Views and VOBs being accessed are the same between both Windows 7 CC7 and Windows XP CC6. Looking at the Protections on the view there is full Read, Write, Execute for Owner, Group and Other. The VOB ownership for Group is DOMAIN\Domain Users so this shouldn't be an issue.

I should also mention that UAC is turned off and we are using Dynamic Views. Would this indicate a problem between Windows 7(64bit) and IBM's MVFS?

Regards,

Mick
    The permissions of "another directory" dictate whether you can paste or not.
    You can look at the permissions in CC explorer, they are unix style, user, group world and you need to have write permissions through one of these 3.
    Can you check out an existing element in "another directory"? That is usually a pretty good test as well.
    Martina
    Don't Postpone Joy - Have Fun

ReleaseTEAM Inc
    http://www.releaseteam.com
    IBM Rational Certified Consultants
    IBM Business Partner
  • scraps82
    scraps82
    6 Posts

‏2012-04-19T15:51:39Z  
    • martina
    • ‏2012-04-18T16:37:06Z
    The permissions of "another directory" dictate whether you can paste or not.
    You can look at the permissions in CC explorer, they are unix style, user, group world and you need to have write permissions through one of these 3.
    Can you check out an existing element in "another directory"? That is usually a pretty good test as well.
    Martina

ReleaseTEAM Inc
    IBM Business Partner
    Hello,

The protection for "another directory" is rwx for user, group and other. I am in the correct group and other should catch me if I wasn't.

I am able to checkout/checkin versioned files from "another directory".

The paste action creates a view private file, but with the properties described in my initial post.

Mick
  • martina
    martina
    1025 Posts

‏2012-04-19T18:11:17Z  
    • scraps82
    • ‏2012-04-19T15:51:39Z
    Hello,

The protection for "another directory" is rwx for user, group and other. I am in the correct group and other should catch me if I wasn't.

I am able to checkout/checkin versioned files from "another directory".

The paste action creates a view private file, but with the properties described in my initial post.

Mick
    ahh, good ol windows.
    A windows copy copies permissions etc. A checked-in file is read-only, so that is what you end up with. If you checkout the file before you copy, you will have a writable file; you can then do a unco.
    Changing the properties of the copied file is the other option - if it lets you.

On unix, if you do a cp, the umask defines what happens.

I do have a question though: why are you copying a file? Is it c case of having something to start and then change?
    If you need the same file in 2 places, a soft-link is the better solution for dynamic views.
    On win soft-links have issues with web views and snapshot views since windows didn't/doesn't have the concept of a soft-link.

Martina

ReleaseTEAM Inc
    IBM Business Partner
  • ChrisMoir
    ChrisMoir
    100 Posts

‏2012-04-24T20:31:30Z  
    • martina
    • ‏2012-04-19T18:11:17Z
    ahh, good ol windows.
    A windows copy copies permissions etc. A checked-in file is read-only, so that is what you end up with. If you checkout the file before you copy, you will have a writable file; you can then do a unco.
    Changing the properties of the copied file is the other option - if it lets you.

On unix, if you do a cp, the umask defines what happens.

I do have a question though: why are you copying a file? Is it c case of having something to start and then change?
    If you need the same file in 2 places, a soft-link is the better solution for dynamic views.
    On win soft-links have issues with web views and snapshot views since windows didn't/doesn't have the concept of a soft-link.

Martina

ReleaseTEAM Inc
    IBM Business Partner
    FYI, this has been happening to us as well since our users moved to Windows 7. They have routinely copied an entire directory structure that exists, rename it and add it to source, keeping all the subfolders the same. Saves a load of trouble building directory trees.

Except, since moving to Win7, they will get that error. This is new behavior under Win7 dynamic views that did not happen under XP. The folder cannot be renamed deleted, moved, anything else, it just remains frozen there. If I try to change the permissions, it says it requires admin privs (which only our desktop support folks have).

-Chris Moir
    Aetna Insurance
  • martina
    martina
    1025 Posts

‏2012-04-24T21:59:07Z  
    • ChrisMoir
    • ‏2012-04-24T20:31:30Z
    FYI, this has been happening to us as well since our users moved to Windows 7. They have routinely copied an entire directory structure that exists, rename it and add it to source, keeping all the subfolders the same. Saves a load of trouble building directory trees.

Except, since moving to Win7, they will get that error. This is new behavior under Win7 dynamic views that did not happen under XP. The folder cannot be renamed deleted, moved, anything else, it just remains frozen there. If I try to change the permissions, it says it requires admin privs (which only our desktop support folks have).

-Chris Moir
    Aetna Insurance
    ugh. Have you filed a PMR and tried to get it classified as a bug?
    Sounds like another case that IBM doesn't run into because everybody has local admin and they use domains on a very limited scale.
    Martina

ReleaseTEAM Inc
    IBM Business Partner
  • ChrisMoir
    ChrisMoir
    100 Posts

‏2012-04-30T14:03:28Z  
    • martina
    • ‏2012-04-24T21:59:07Z
    ugh. Have you filed a PMR and tried to get it classified as a bug?
    Sounds like another case that IBM doesn't run into because everybody has local admin and they use domains on a very limited scale.
    Martina

ReleaseTEAM Inc
    IBM Business Partner
    I may do so, since now I suspect it's not just the somewhat nonstandard (ultra-secure) environment we have here at Aetna, which is what I initially assumed.

-Chris Moir
    Aetna Insurance
  • csant2
    csant2
    2 Posts

‏2012-08-31T16:57:57Z  
    • ChrisMoir
    • ‏2012-04-30T14:03:28Z
    I may do so, since now I suspect it's not just the somewhat nonstandard (ultra-secure) environment we have here at Aetna, which is what I initially assumed.

-Chris Moir
    Aetna Insurance
    Chris,

Did you file a PMR against this? If you did, what did IBM said about it. We are experiencing the same issue here and I am about to file a PMR myself.

-Carlos Santiago
    General Dynamics C4S

http://imgsx.writing.com/main/images/action/display/item_id/1618420.png
  • csant2
    csant2
    2 Posts

‏2012-09-05T20:44:39Z  
    • csant2
    • ‏2012-08-31T16:57:57Z
    Chris,

Did you file a PMR against this? If you did, what did IBM said about it. We are experiencing the same issue here and I am about to file a PMR myself.

-Carlos Santiago
    General Dynamics C4S

Update

I did file a PMR. IBM will not fix this issue as they are blaming this 100% on Windows 7. They are saying that the best bet is to highlight all the files, right click, select properties and then unset the Read-Only attribute. However, this approach does not work 100% of the time.

What works 100% of the time is copying the files to the local drive and then unsetting the Read-Only attribute. Then you copy and replace the files back into the view. Not elegant, but it works.

• mickp82
    mickp82
    2 Posts

‏2013-09-04T13:45:09Z  
    • csant2
    • ‏2012-09-05T20:44:39Z
    Update

I did file a PMR. IBM will not fix this issue as they are blaming this 100% on Windows 7. They are saying that the best bet is to highlight all the files, right click, select properties and then unset the Read-Only attribute. However, this approach does not work 100% of the time.

What works 100% of the time is copying the files to the local drive and then unsetting the Read-Only attribute. Then you copy and replace the files back into the view. Not elegant, but it works.

A year on, thought I would add an update. In CC7.1.2.8 the behaviour has changed. The creator of the readonly file no longer needs to remove the readonly flag inorder to be able to delete or rename, but another user is still prevented from doing so by the S-1-1-0 error. This is described in http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1PM01862

Mick