Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-03-20T19:31:20Z by SystemAdmin
GWReeves
GWReeves
6 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Merging back with different business items

‏2012-03-15T11:07:49Z |
I'm building a Process Model (for Pizza ordering) where I have an input: Order which contains Customer and OrderItems, and an output:
Invoice which contains Customer and InvoiceItems.

A human task takes the order which is saved in a repository and also passed to a map.
The map extracts the Customer to pass it to a task that checks if the Customer is OK.
The output from this task is a Status business item.
The Status is then passed to a simple decision which branches to a reject task if the Status is bad.
If the Status is OK (meaning the Customer checking was successful) processing of the order continues
by merging back the Order from the repository and creating an invoice.

My problem is with the merge of the Status and Order. Merge components don't seem to like different business items.
I tried setting one of the inputs to No Name but it caused the Order node to also be typed to No Name.

I would think that this is a fairly common pattern and I suspect that it is probably posibble to solve with a
combination of components.

I've seen elswhere that a task with two inputs has been used where I've used a merge, is that the way to do it?

Does anyone have any advice as to how to model this type of situation?

Picture of the process diagram is attached.

Thanks,
Glyn
Updated on 2012-03-20T19:31:20Z at 2012-03-20T19:31:20Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    221 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Merging back with different business items

‏2012-03-15T15:46:45Z  in response to GWReeves
    Hi Glyn

Just some comments about your process. I found it ok but I only have this two quick observations.

• I'm not sure if the "map activity" is being used fine. I understand that in Modeler it is used to transform some kind of data to other. But I do not have much experience with it. I will not draw it that way.

• About how you are using the repository. The dotted line does not indicate process flow, so I think that you don't need to split the path for it. You can draw it like the quick image I'm sending you.

That's how I quickly will draw that the order is getting stored in a database or drawers.

(Please ignore that my WBM is in spanish) ;)

Martín
    • GWReeves
      GWReeves
      6 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-16T11:43:14Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thanks, that looks a lot simpler than I was struggling with.

I'll remodel it along those lines.

I may reintroduce the map after it's working.

The reason I used the map was because (coming from a Process Server background)
      I'm assuming there would be a generic Customer service that would only take the
      Customer information as input and would not have order data as part of it's needs
      hence using the mapping to strip it out. I may be bringing too much Process Server
      thinking to the modeling though. I'll retry it without the mapping first.

Thanks very much for your help. I'm fairly new to the modeling side of things so
      I'll probably be filling up the forum with fairly basic questions like this.

Hopefully the answers will help others as well.

Thanks again,
      Glyn
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        221 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-20T19:31:20Z  in response to GWReeves
        Hi Glyn

You are welcome to post anything about Modeler.
        From my side I don't have process server experience, so I'm not really sure if I'm creating models that uses the best practices for Websphere Process server automation.

Martín