IBM Business Partner
Updated on 2013-04-01T03:25:32Z at 2013-04-01T03:25:32Z by Dave-Robinson
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: ClearCase 8.0

‏2012-03-14T14:10:24Z  in response to martina
    What are the benefits of upgrading to 8.0 from 7.1.2?

Thanks
    • martina
      martina
      1025 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-14T15:40:00Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      In short: performance and ClearTeam Explorer (CTE).
      For official verbiage see http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/cchelp/v8r0m0/index.jsp

Just by installing it you get faster loads for web views, they now load more parallel and smarter, i.e. meta-data that populates the directory tree is transferred first and version data later, so the end user experience speeds up.

You also get ClearTeam Explorer (CTE), the Eclipse gui that works for web views and dynamic views on win and *nix platforms. For web views, it replaces the CCRC GUI and it pretty much has the same look and feel that you know from the CCRC gui. All the old GUIs are still there, but they haven't seen any fixes in quite a while.

Feature level 6 (also available in 7.1.2) provides Synchronous Request for Mastership in MultiSite

Feature Level 7 and Schema 80 enable new features:
      • built-in Evil twin detection
      • UCM performance increase
      • lstype performance improvements
      • built-in unicode type manager

schema upgrade can be done per VOB, i.e. one server can host schema 54 and schema 80 VOBs

WAS/IHS install not included in CC/CQ install anymore. Separate download packet in PA-Online and separate install. So you will have to figure out how to install WAS/IHS. It is covered in the CC/CQ docs.

Plug: I will speak at Innovate about installing CC/CQ 8.0 and also plan to publish an updated version of my paper afterwards.

Martina
      Don't Postpone Joy - Have Fun

ReleaseTEAM Inc
      http://www.releaseteam.com
      IBM Rational Certified Consultants
      IBM Business Partner
      • martina
        martina
        1025 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-01T14:53:00Z  in response to martina
        CC & CQ Installation - session at Innovate and a reworked and updated version of the ReleaseTEAM install paper!

Tue, Jun 5, 2012 4:15 PM - 5:45 PM
        CCM-1452 Tips and Techniques for Installing and Configuring IBM Rational ClearCase 8.0 and IBM Rational ClearQuest 8.0
        Northern E4 - Dolphin
        Speaker:
        Martina Riedel, ReleaseTEAM, Inc.
        Gustavo Tejeda, IBM
        Mark Guertin, IBM

The paper accompanying the session, Installing ClearCase and ClearQuest 8.0 is available at http://www.releaseteam.com/installing_clearcase_and_clearquest_8-0/

Martina

ReleaseTEAM Inc
        http://www.releaseteam.com
        IBM Rational Certified Consultants
        IBM Business Partner
        • JirongHu
          JirongHu
          660 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-17T13:44:33Z  in response to martina
          Hi Martina

Thanks for your comprehensive v8 installation document. This is very helpful. I got this error at the end of doing an upgrade CCCQ from v7.1.1 to v8.0.1.0 beta (downloaded from another sticky post here) following your document at section 3.7.3:
          1. Could not initialize Win32Helper.WIN32HELPER_DLL from C:\Program Files (x86)\ibm\RationalSDLC\common\install
          2. MS Visual Studio 2010 is not installed. Please install Visual Studio 2010 to install this feature.

Any idea why?

Thanks
          Jirong
          • martina
            martina
            1025 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-18T16:47:18Z  in response to JirongHu
            Is Visual Studio installed on the box?
            If not, you can't install the integration.
            If yes, it should work, but you say that you are upgrading to the beta, so IBM will have to answer details.

Martina
            • JirongHu
              JirongHu
              660 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-23T00:55:18Z  in response to martina
              NO VS installed on this server. Which selected feature will cause this? I didn't check any integration package. I used beta because it's handy.

Another question is: is there any different if I uninstall v7.1.1 and then install the new v8.1.1.5? What's the different between the uninstall/install and upgrade (from IBM), if there is no CQ involved.

Thanks
              Jirong
            • JirongHu
              JirongHu
              660 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-24T15:25:29Z  in response to martina
              I un-installed CCCQ 7 and try to install CCCQ8, now I can't pass this error:
              com.ibm.rational.cdi.was.install.WASInstallException: Fatal error when executing WAS Create Profile command (WASCreateProfileCmd.8.5.0.0.{2}.{3})

Where can I find more detailed error message? Is there a way I can run this from command line to see what's going on?

Thanks
              Jirong
              • Dave-Robinson
                Dave-Robinson
                102 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-25T01:08:12Z  in response to JirongHu
                Jirong,
                I do suggest you open a PMR for assistance dealing with specific installation error messages.
                David
        • JirongHu
          JirongHu
          660 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-24T13:48:37Z  in response to martina
          Regarding the schema upgrade to the latest version 80 and feature level 7:
          1. upgrading schema can be done separately from the CCCQ upgrade, right?
          2. I don't have to upgrade the schema, if I don't want the new features, right?
          3. I have to upgrade CCCQ to v8 before upgrading the schema to 80, right?

BTW, found the schema upgrade instruction here:
          http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27023578

Thanks
          Jirong
          • Dave-Robinson
            Dave-Robinson
            102 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-25T01:06:59Z  in response to JirongHu
            Regarding the schema upgrade to the latest version 80 and feature level 7:

>>> 1. upgrading schema can be done separately from the CCCQ upgrade, right?
            Right. In fact it is always a separate step.

>>> 2. I don't have to upgrade the schema, if I don't want the new features, right?
            Right.

>>> 3. I have to upgrade CCCQ to v8 before upgrading the schema to 80, right?
            Right.

Note that one of the great "features" of the ClearCase 8.0 upgrade, is that the VOB server host can now support VOBs at a mix ov VOB schema versions, so you do not have to reformat all your VOBs at one time.
            • JirongHu
              JirongHu
              660 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-26T14:14:39Z  in response to Dave-Robinson
              I just realized the error is probably I am using WAS 8.5, while CC8 supports only WAS 8.0.

I have another CC upgrade from v7 to v8 project, just has CC with multisite. They will keep all existing CC v7.1 two servers (original and replica), and install the new v8 on another two servers. In this case, all I need to do is as follows, right?

1. Install CC v8 on the new servers.
              2. Copy the v7 VOBs over and re-register.
              3. Upgrade the schema.

Questions:
              1. Anything special for multisite?
              2. I shall remove all views before copying the vob, right?
              3. Can I upgrade CC client to v8 before upgrading the VOB server?

Do I miss anything?

Thanks
              Jirong
              • JirongHu
                JirongHu
                660 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-26T14:46:21Z  in response to JirongHu
                Moving VOBs from two old v7 servers to two new v8 servers:

In this case, this is not really an upgrade, but moving the VOBs from v7 to v8 on new servers. The multi-site is only for DR purpose, no development at replica at all. Since we are not changing any existing CC v7 infrastructures, here is what I am thinking:
                1. Copy the VOBs from the original v7 VOB server/site to the new v8 original server/site.
                2. Register the original v7 VOBs to the new v8 server.
                3. Delete the old v7 replica (to the old v7 replica server).
                4. Create a new v8 replica to the new v8 replica server.

Will this work?

Thanks
                Jirong
                • Dave-Robinson
                  Dave-Robinson
                  102 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-01T03:25:32Z  in response to JirongHu
                  Hello Jirong,

Given the very little detail provided, yes this can work if done correctly.

In particular, the VOB on the old server must be locked before step 1, and never unlocked. The VOB replica shall be unlocked after it is registered / tagged on the new server.

Also, the VOB must be umounted from all client hosts, and also close any ClearCase Explorer / Project Explorer instances.
                  Note that after the procedure described, the original replica shall be at VOB database schema 54 and the DR replica at VOB database schema 80;
                  but this is not a problem.
  • michelei
    michelei
    22 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-21T16:41:54Z  in response to martina
    Hi,

we are using ClearCase 2003.06.10 on windows xp and we work with snapshot views UCM.

We are planning the porting to ClearCase 8, which are the best candidate views type to be used instead of the snapshot views?

thanks!

michele
    • martina
      martina
      1025 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-21T18:51:02Z  in response to michelei
      CC 8 supports snapshot views, just like CC2003.06 does.
      Clearteam Explorer (CTE) doesn't support snapshot views (yet).
      So you can upgrade and keep doing what you have been doing.

Now, if you have users who connect to the CC server over WAN, you might want to look at using web views.
      They work well for end user use cases, especially the interactive ones with a dev IDE.

For build and automation use cases, you will need to check whether rcleartool supports what you need. Most likely it doesn't (yet).

It all depends on your circumstances and you don't tell us enough for me to say more.

Martina Don't Postpone Joy - Have Fun
      • michelei
        michelei
        22 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-10T16:10:48Z  in response to martina
        Thanks Martina,

do you see problems in upgrading our system from 2003.06 to version 8?

ciao
        michele
  • Ratan_k00
    Ratan_k00
    50 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-11T05:45:10Z  in response to martina
    One of the new features in 8.0>

A new ClearCase UCM environment variable, called CCASE_DISABLE_FDN_REUSE, has been added. When set to TRUE, this environment variable prevents the creation of duplicate baselines when a foundation baseline has already been reused in a previous "make baseline" operation and when the baseline that has been reused resides in a PVOB which is not under the same AdminVOB hierarchy as the PVOB where the new baseline is being created.
    Will someone please explain me very clearly the above enhancement with an example?
    • Dave-Robinson
      Dave-Robinson
      102 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-25T00:58:51Z  in response to Ratan_k00
      Actually your statement is reversed.
      ClearCase in general has been enhanced to prevent the creation of a new baseline in a specific situation where we previously created one.
      The environment variable reverts to the more traditional behaviour.

Suppose you have a Baseline Dependency structure:
      Product
      SubsystemA
      Component1
      Component2
      Component3
      SubsystemB
      Component4
      Component5
      and this project is modifying only SubsystemB (Component4 and Component5)
      but during development you deem it necessary to override the Component1 foundation baseline inherited through the SubsystemA foundation;
      then the next time you make a baseline, ClearCase shall make a baseline in SubsystemA that differs from the foundation by depending on the Component1 override.
      Now, suppose you then rebase this stream and remove that override; the subsequent "Make Baseline" would create yet another baseline in SubsystemA, to eclipse the previously created one, and this new baseline has identical dependencies to the SubsystemA foundation that is in use.
      The new "Product" baseline would depend on this new "SubsystemA" baseline.
      Furthermore, after every subsequent rebase of the stream that changed the efective foundation for SubsytemA, the next "Make Baseline" would create a SubsystemA baseline that is identical to the current SubsystemA foundation, and the new SubsystemA baseline would be included in the new Product baseline.

The enhancement deems that all these new SubsystemA baselines are unnecessary, and that in this circumstance the new Product baseline can instead depend on the current SubsystemA foundation.

The environment variable set CCASE_DISABLE_FDN_REUSE=TRUE says, "if we have a new foundation for SubsystemA, just go ahead and create a new baseline identical to that, for inclusion in the higher level composite.

The main motivation for using the environment variable is that there are some conditions where ClearCase determines it is important to create the new baseline anyway, and validating these conditions can be very expensive in some environments
      • JonesWong
        JonesWong
        11 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-17T07:49:32Z  in response to Dave-Robinson

Am I know that ClearCase 7.1.2 upgrade to ClearCase8 procedure as following ?

1. Uninstall ClearCase 7.1.2

2.  Install ClearCase 8.0

3. Restore the rgy(backup) and register the VOB(s)

As i am newbie, Please kindly to help me.

many many thanks.