IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-06-03T21:18:44Z by scooty-cat
scooty-cat
scooty-cat
11 Posts

Pinned topic Heads up: Java jre & sdk on FreeBSD PowerPC progress

‏2012-03-06T09:30:17Z |
Notes: The jre-installer would not extract on Debian; however, the following results are good for FreeBSD.

The installer will hang with a problem extracting the tar.vm.Z file.
Temporary fix:

cd /tmp/$TEMP_JVA_DIR/Linux/resource && tar xvf vm.tar.Z

The next break is at $PATH/resource/jre/lib/ddr/j9ddr.jar .

The sdk-installer does not work.
It is suggested by the installer to do a download in binary mode.

Machine: PowerMac G4 Quicksilver CPU:PowerPC 7455/7450 OS:FreeBSD-9.0-PowerPC

The extraction uses gzip which does not work for FreeBSD; if anyone can send information upstream then

tar xvf vm.tar.Z
would be a better method for both FreeBSD and Linux systems.

For those interested in installing FreeBSD to your POWER/PowerPC(64) system:
[URL] http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ppc[/URL]
[URL]http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=13827[/URL]
(I have the code part right, now for the url part.)
The first link is to the mailing list subscription page with references to archives.
The second link is a tutorial to installing FreeBSD on PowerPC 32bit systems.
FreeBSD can be installed to PS3. I'm not sure as to IBM's policy, so use the following search terms in Google/Yahoo/Bing: "OtherOS++" "FreeBSD".

The installation method should work for both 32 and 64 bit POWER(PC) systems.

I'll post more information when possible.
Updated on 2012-06-03T21:18:44Z at 2012-06-03T21:18:44Z by scooty-cat
  • scooty-cat
    scooty-cat
    11 Posts

Re: Heads up: Java jre & sdk on FreeBSD PowerPC progress

‏2012-03-06T09:32:06Z  
    Correction for above: The sdk binary does not extract properly.
  • scooty-cat
    scooty-cat
    11 Posts

‏2012-03-13T02:22:56Z  
    Currently: The binaries must be branded with

brandelf -t Linux

From a Linux installation /lib/ld.so.1 must be imported.
  • scooty-cat
    scooty-cat
    11 Posts

‏2012-03-13T16:01:59Z  
    Currently: The binaries must be branded with <pre class="jive-pre"> brandelf -t Linux </pre> .
    From a Linux installation /lib/ld.so.1 must be imported.

chipchop# ls BSDppc64.img                                       ibm-java-ppc-jre-7.0-0.0.bin                    qemu-system-ppc64-crash.txt FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-powerpc64-bootonly.iso  ibm-java-ppc-sdk-7.0-0.0.bin                    qemu-system-ppc64.core ibm-java-jre-7.0-0.0-ppc-archive.bin             ibm-java-sdk-7.0-0.0-ppc-archive.bin chipchop# .
    /*sdk*hive* Preparing to install... Extracting the JRE from the installer archive... Unpacking the JRE... Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive... Configuring the installer for this system's environment... ELF binary type "0" not known. Launching installer... ELF binary type "0" not known. /tmp/install.dir.65568/Linux/resource/jre/bin/java: 1: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")") chipchop#

chipchop# cd /tmp/install.dir.65568/Linux/resource/jre/bin/  chipchop# ls ControlPanel    ikeyman         java_vm         jcontrol        keytool         ktab            rmid            unpack200 classic               j9vm            javaw           jdmpview        kinit           pack200         rmiregistry ikeycmd             java            javaws          jextract        klist           policytool      tnameserv chipchop# brandelf -t Linux java chipchop# brandelf -t Linux java_vm chipchop# ./java ELF binary type 
    "3" not known. ./java: Exec format error. Binary file not executable. chipchop#

Brandelf was redone to check for errors.
    Correction to above post: Do not use

brandelf -t Linux

for the moment.

This post is based on the sdk archive binary output.
  • scooty-cat
    scooty-cat
    11 Posts

Re: Heads up: Java jre &#38; sdk on FreeBSD PowerPC progress

‏2012-03-18T21:16:00Z  
    I need to do more research before continuing. In the meantime, here is something.

For those interested: Someone has decided to take up the Xen PPC port in FreeBSD.
  • scooty-cat
    scooty-cat
    11 Posts

‏2012-03-30T13:34:49Z  
    Okay.
    Apologies to everyone for waiting so long. Here is my current progress.
    I've also decided to try building the Zero-VM, kaffe, and icedtea. This was suggested by the FreeBSD Java team. Kaffe is still at the FreeBSD-2.X stage when it comes to POWER systems.

"If FreeBSD on POWER systems doesn't have Java support, then how can we use it?"

You can set up a PS3 as a thin client.
    1. Install FreeBSD on it.
    2. Set up OpenSSH to your Linux machine. Enable X-forwarding.
    3. OpenSSH to your Linux machine and have fun.
    Remember that you can use OpenSSH from one architecture to another.

"What business use can we get out of FreeBSD?"

I'm working on this with accessibility.
    "Why are you doing this project?"

I believe that Linux and BSD systems can be used together in a way that is beneficial to all.

"Why did you pick the POWER architecture?"

Load/store is very similar- in my perception- to the learning process of the human brain.

Thanks to everyone in the Open Source community and here at IBM for helping me with this project and for being patient with this nut.
  • RamisettiKumar
    RamisettiKumar
    1 Post

‏2012-04-30T17:26:28Z  
    <pre class="jive-pre"> chipchop# ls BSDppc64.img ibm-java-ppc-jre-7.0-0.0.bin qemu-system-ppc64-crash.txt FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-powerpc64-bootonly.iso ibm-java-ppc-sdk-7.0-0.0.bin qemu-system-ppc64.core ibm-java-jre-7.0-0.0-ppc-archive.bin ibm-java-sdk-7.0-0.0-ppc-archive.bin chipchop# . /*sdk*hive* Preparing to install... Extracting the JRE from the installer archive... Unpacking the JRE... Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive... Configuring the installer for this system's environment... ELF binary type "0" not known. Launching installer... ELF binary type "0" not known. /tmp/install.dir.65568/Linux/resource/jre/bin/java: 1: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")") chipchop# </pre>

<pre class="jive-pre"> chipchop# cd /tmp/install.dir.65568/Linux/resource/jre/bin/ chipchop# ls ControlPanel ikeyman java_vm jcontrol keytool ktab rmid unpack200 classic j9vm javaw jdmpview kinit pack200 rmiregistry ikeycmd java javaws jextract klist policytool tnameserv chipchop# brandelf -t Linux java chipchop# brandelf -t Linux java_vm chipchop# ./java ELF binary type "3" not known. ./java: Exec format error. Binary file not executable. chipchop# </pre>
    Brandelf was redone to check for errors.
    Correction to above post: Do not use <pre class="jive-pre"> brandelf -t Linux </pre> for the moment.

This post is based on the sdk archive binary output.
    May i know from where we can download the pap3270-20110827_01-jre.jar
  • scooty-cat
    scooty-cat
    11 Posts

‏2012-05-06T21:04:50Z  
    I'm posting the current progress first.

The last setup was between 4/26 and 4/28:
    NFS on Linux is behind that of FreeBSD.

I don't have access to my equipment currently.

So with being repetitive: The basic setup is there. I have a few personal things to take care of.

To build the environment using a Debian system, you will need to download NFS utils from the source and patch if you are not allowed access to the source code.

I am aware that this post is fragmented.
    Currently, internet access is limited for myself.

My apologies.
  • scooty-cat
    scooty-cat
    11 Posts

‏2012-06-03T21:18:44Z  
    I am keeping this updated as to be honest.

Currently, my situation has not changed.

When possible, I will return to this project.

Apologies for being vague.