IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 9 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-10-05T17:38:29Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1632 Posts

Pinned topic Cannot Stop, Start an Instance or Create a New Database

‏2012-03-02T21:21:43Z |
I have a new install of IBM Data Studio V3.1 Full client on my local Windows 7 workstation. I'm unable to start or stop an Instance or create a new database on either the localhost or a remote host.

When I try to stop or start an Instance I get the error "The connectivity libraries that are needed for local or remote non-JDBC operations were not found. To provide these libraries, you can install IBM Data Server Client or a local DB2 database server instance."

When I try to create a new database from the New database window (after filling in the required fields), nothing happens when I click "Test connection" or Finish. No errors are displayed.

What is wrong and how can it be resolved?

Thanks - Dave
Updated on 2012-10-05T17:38:29Z at 2012-10-05T17:38:29Z by SystemAdmin
  • TheBiggestOfJims
    TheBiggestOfJims
    13 Posts

Re: Cannot Stop, Start an Instance or Create a New Database

‏2012-03-02T21:37:43Z  
    Hi Dave,

Do you have DB2 Server or Client installed on the same workstation as Data Studio? DS needs at least the client to be able to run the utilities.

Regards,

Jim
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1632 Posts

‏2012-03-02T21:44:51Z  
    Hi Dave,

Do you have DB2 Server or Client installed on the same workstation as Data Studio? DS needs at least the client to be able to run the utilities.

Regards,

Jim
    I don't know, how do I tell? I have DB2 Express-C installed locally on the client and on the server. Also, I have no trouble performing these tasks from IBM DB2 Control Center. Lastly, I'm able to browse the databases from Data Studio, create tables, and schemas. Thanks - Dave
  • TheBiggestOfJims
    TheBiggestOfJims
    13 Posts

‏2012-03-02T21:57:37Z  
    I don't know, how do I tell? I have DB2 Express-C installed locally on the client and on the server. Also, I have no trouble performing these tasks from IBM DB2 Control Center. Lastly, I'm able to browse the databases from Data Studio, create tables, and schemas. Thanks - Dave
    Is DAS running on the machine that you are trying to administer?

Regards,

Jim
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1632 Posts

‏2012-03-02T22:05:16Z  
    Is DAS running on the machine that you are trying to administer?

Regards,

Jim
    Yes.
  • Ivan_CA
    Ivan_CA
    52 Posts

‏2012-03-02T22:34:05Z  
    Yes.
    Hey Dave,

You can create tables,etc because those operations use jdbc connections. To run utilities like backup,start, etc Data Studio uses other connection methods (das,ssh, etc..., it depends on a few factors)

There is an old issue to connect locally against older db2 versions when Windows is 64 bits so I want rule that out.

1. Is your Windows7 32 or 64 bits?
    2. What is the db2level of local db2 instance?

Can you also try to do the following steps as a test:

a. Close Data Studio.
    b. Open db2 clp window for local default db2 instance
    c. Type "exit" to go to windows prompt
    d. Type "db2admin start" (to double check DAS is up)
    e. Type "db2 connect to sample" (to make sure your local env variables are correctly set, DS will need that)
    f. Go to the DS3.1 install dir (e.g. cd c:\program files\IBM\DS3.1 )
    g. type "eclipse" to open DS, connect to local sample and try to run a simple backup from DS.

These steps will ensure that DS has all the db2 env vars to properly run maintenance commands. If the operation still fails, please provide DS error.log (from the main menu - window - show view - other - error.log) so we can investigate a little further.

Thanks,
    Ivan
  • Ivan_CA
    Ivan_CA
    52 Posts

‏2012-03-02T22:36:34Z  
    • Ivan_CA
    • ‏2012-03-02T22:34:05Z
    Hey Dave,

You can create tables,etc because those operations use jdbc connections. To run utilities like backup,start, etc Data Studio uses other connection methods (das,ssh, etc..., it depends on a few factors)

There is an old issue to connect locally against older db2 versions when Windows is 64 bits so I want rule that out.

1. Is your Windows7 32 or 64 bits?

Can you also try to do the following steps as a test:

a. Close Data Studio.
    b. Open db2 clp window for local default db2 instance
    c. Type "exit" to go to windows prompt
    d. Type "db2admin start" (to double check DAS is up)
    e. Type "db2 connect to sample" (to make sure your local env variables are correctly set, DS will need that)
    f. Go to the DS3.1 install dir (e.g. cd c:\program files\IBM\DS3.1 )
    g. type "eclipse" to open DS, connect to local sample and try to run a simple backup from DS.

These steps will ensure that DS has all the db2 env vars to properly run maintenance commands. If the operation still fails, please provide DS error.log (from the main menu - window - show view - other - error.log) so we can investigate a little further.

Thanks,
    Ivan
    step c should say "quit" instead of "exit"

Thanks,
    Ivan
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1632 Posts

‏2012-03-02T23:42:42Z  
    • Ivan_CA
    • ‏2012-03-02T22:36:34Z
    step c should say "quit" instead of "exit"

Thanks,
    Ivan
    1. Is your Windows7 32 or 64 bits? Windows 7 64 bit

db2level:
    DB21085I Instance "DB2" uses "64" bits and DB2 code release "SQL09074" with
    level identifier "08050107".
    Informational tokens are "DB2 v9.7.400.501", "s110330", "IP23238", and Fix Pack
    "4".
    Product is installed at "C:\PROGRA~1\IBM\SQLLIB" with DB2 Copy Name "DB2COPY1".

d. db2admin start
    SQL4409W The DB2 Administration Server is already active.

e. db2 connect to sample

Database Connection Information

Database server = DB2/NT64 9.7.4
    SQL authorization ID = DFRAZELL
    Local database alias = SAMPLE

g. Backup was successful

After all this I noticed there is a difference between starting DS from the command window with the eclipse command and selecting "Data Studio 3.1 Full Client" from the Start menu. Everything that didn't work (that prompted this thread), works when I start DS from the command prompt. I need to examine the short cut in the start menu further to see what is different. I'll do some more testing but this issue may be resolved.
    Thanks - Dave
  • Ivan_CA
    Ivan_CA
    52 Posts

‏2012-03-05T01:09:01Z  
    1. Is your Windows7 32 or 64 bits? Windows 7 64 bit

db2level:
    DB21085I Instance "DB2" uses "64" bits and DB2 code release "SQL09074" with
    level identifier "08050107".
    Informational tokens are "DB2 v9.7.400.501", "s110330", "IP23238", and Fix Pack
    "4".
    Product is installed at "C:\PROGRA~1\IBM\SQLLIB" with DB2 Copy Name "DB2COPY1".

d. db2admin start
    SQL4409W The DB2 Administration Server is already active.

e. db2 connect to sample

Database Connection Information

Database server = DB2/NT64 9.7.4
    SQL authorization ID = DFRAZELL
    Local database alias = SAMPLE

g. Backup was successful

After all this I noticed there is a difference between starting DS from the command window with the eclipse command and selecting "Data Studio 3.1 Full Client" from the Start menu. Everything that didn't work (that prompted this thread), works when I start DS from the command prompt. I need to examine the short cut in the start menu further to see what is different. I'll do some more testing but this issue may be resolved.
    Thanks - Dave
    I'm glad it worked Dave.

Check your system environment variables and make sure you have the correct DB2 info for your local working instance in there (PATH, DB2INSTANCE, etc..) and you should be able to launch DS from the start menu with no problems.

Thanks,
    Ivan
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1632 Posts

‏2012-10-05T17:38:29Z  
    It took me a while to figure the solution of this problem , a simple fix which should have been taken care at time of db install itself - Just add sqllib/bin to system Path and DS will just work fine