• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-03-07T09:39:48Z by P25G_Arun_Ramasamy
memphisto
memphisto
2 Posts

Pinned topic Relationship between IHS and Websphere application server

‏2012-02-29T10:54:31Z |
Hello,

I have a conceptual question about IHS and Websphere based upon a production server which I had to try and fix,

First of the server had IHS installed, now I see that there are several flavours and versions of IHS (at least according to the boulderworks site), and is there some way of determining which of these versions are installed (Windows) ?

Secondly there's a IHS management service running on some port, I looked in a filed called admin.conf to determine which port this was running on, but trying to access the homepage using http://server:adminport didn't work, so my question is what is this admin-service, could somebody at least post a screenshot of it :)

Third question is, apart from IHS there is a websphere (abbr: WAS) installation on the server, as far as I understand websphere is an application server which runs on IHS (or other webservers?) and Websphere has its own suite of management tools (command line and web pages) is this correct on how these two products interact?

This was my impression when looking on the server, but what was interesting was after stopping IHS, i was still able to browse to the WAS - admin page - so I do not understand how WAS can run if it depends on IHS?
Updated on 2012-03-07T09:39:48Z at 2012-03-07T09:39:48Z by P25G_Arun_Ramasamy
  • NPfister
    NPfister
    43 Posts

Re: Relationship between IHS and Websphere application server

‏2012-02-29T14:15:09Z  
    Determing the version:

Assuming you are running the Apache based IHS, there are two ways that I know of to do this task. First is just run the Apache.exe -v command from command line. Second is with the versionInfo command located in the app_server_root/bin directory. (see http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v6r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.websphere.express.doc%2Finfo%2Fexp%2Fae%2Ftwsv_plugin_ihs.html)

IHS Admin Console:
    See this topic: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=13899890

IHS and WAS:
    IHS is simply an HTTP Server. It serves static content from the server to the client using HTTP and HTTPS. It can also direct the client to an Application server (such as WAS) to serve up other content (such as Java and JSPs). WAS is meant to serve your core application to the client. WAS can run independantly of IHS and vice versa. IHS uses an IBM plug-in to connect to the WAS server and serve its content.

WAS:
    WAS has its own internal HTTP transport mechanisms, and does not require a front end HTTP Server in order to serve up content. The WAS Admin console is part of WAS and served by WAS.
    These are some basic answers, but I'm sure an IBMer will be by shortly and give you some more insight than I have/could.
  • memphisto
    memphisto
    2 Posts

‏2012-02-29T19:09:40Z  
    • NPfister
    • ‏2012-02-29T14:15:09Z
    Determing the version:

Assuming you are running the Apache based IHS, there are two ways that I know of to do this task. First is just run the Apache.exe -v command from command line. Second is with the versionInfo command located in the app_server_root/bin directory. (see http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v6r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.websphere.express.doc%2Finfo%2Fexp%2Fae%2Ftwsv_plugin_ihs.html)

IHS Admin Console:
    See this topic: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=13899890

IHS and WAS:
    IHS is simply an HTTP Server. It serves static content from the server to the client using HTTP and HTTPS. It can also direct the client to an Application server (such as WAS) to serve up other content (such as Java and JSPs). WAS is meant to serve your core application to the client. WAS can run independantly of IHS and vice versa. IHS uses an IBM plug-in to connect to the WAS server and serve its content.

WAS:
    WAS has its own internal HTTP transport mechanisms, and does not require a front end HTTP Server in order to serve up content. The WAS Admin console is part of WAS and served by WAS.
    These are some basic answers, but I'm sure an IBMer will be by shortly and give you some more insight than I have/could.
    Thanks for the clarification,

only one question regarding the WAS IHS connection,
    you say that WAS can serve content itself, and IHS can connect to WAS via plugin. What would be the purpose of doing that if WAS can act as a webserver itself?
  • Sunit
    Sunit
    197 Posts

‏2012-02-29T19:25:34Z  
    Two ways of determining the version:
    1. Check version.signature file in IHS install directory
    2. from the bin directory of IHS run apachectl -V

Admin Service:
    There are two ways for WAS to manage IHS. In a federated node you have nodeAgent running. Deployment Manager uses nodeagent to manage IHS. If it is not a federated node then WAS can use Admin server instance of IHS. Admin server of IHS can only be accessed by WAS admin console. You cannot use it from a browser.

IHS plugin provides some features that cannot be used if you directly serve HTML content from WAS. It allows you to communicate with multiple instances of Application Server as a cluster with workload management and session affinity/failover, etc.

• Sunit
  • P25G_Arun_Ramasamy
    P25G_Arun_Ramasamy
    1 Post

‏2012-03-07T09:39:48Z  
    • memphisto
    • ‏2012-02-29T19:09:40Z
    Thanks for the clarification,

only one question regarding the WAS IHS connection,
    you say that WAS can serve content itself, and IHS can connect to WAS via plugin. What would be the purpose of doing that if WAS can act as a webserver itself?
    "you say that WAS can serve content itself, and IHS can connect to WAS via plugin. What would be the purpose of doing that if WAS can act as a webserver itself?"

Many reasons:
    1. to server static contents, IHS used which is good in it. And to serve dynamic pages(java compiled pages) WAS is used in which it is good.
    2. Normally they keep static html files, documents, pdfs, images in IHS so that it will not load the WAS server.
    3. redirecting urls, load balancing urls, failover mapping all possible when keeping an IHS as front end.
    4. more are there..