Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-10-13T07:42:25Z by Harry_engg
Osmosis
Osmosis
1 Post

Pinned topic CIT for IBM License Metric Tool 7.5

‏2012-02-24T12:19:12Z |
I have a question: The only thing we could find in regards to the Common Inventory Technology Enabler for IBM License Metric Tool 7.5.0 was the following file:
CI27WML

The Platform says Windows 2000, and XP is supported. Is there another download available for Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise? The agents specification for ILMT 7.5 says 2008R2 is supported.

Also we are using V VMware ESX Server 5.0 but the installation document states:

Common Inventory Technology enabler is required on partitions not managed by a
virtual machine manager for the following virtualization technologies:
v Microsoft Virtual Server
v VMware ESX Server 4.0
v VMware ESX Server 3.5
v VMware ESX Server 3.0

Will the above software work on v VMware ESX Server 5.0 and with 2008R2 operating system? If not, is CIT required or do you have another software download that I couldn't find?
Thanks,
Steve
Updated on 2012-10-13T07:42:25Z at 2012-10-13T07:42:25Z by Harry_engg
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    340 Posts

Re: CIT for IBM License Metric Tool 7.5

‏2012-05-17T11:19:12Z  
    Hi Osmosis,

I have a feeling that some things are mixed here... Let me explain.

The following concepts are used in ILMT:
    • Agent
    • CIT
    • VM Manager
    • CIT Enabler

In general:
    Agent is a small program that runs on the machines (virtual or physical) to discover the software installed there.

CIT is a component. CIT is an integral part of ILMT agent that is separately versioned. There are three types of scans performed by the agent using the CIT component:
    • Software scans detect installed software products.
    • The software use scanner monitors applications running at a given moment.
    • Hardware scans return information on the hardware characteristics of the scanned system.

A VM Manager (virtual machine manager) is a particular source of data that is provided by the virtualization vendor. Use VM managers to administer virtual machines in your IT infrastructure and to access their data. VM managers are used to collect information concerning virtual machines that are installed in your infrastructure. Due to the nature of some virtualization technologies, for example VMware, agents deployed on such virtualization solutions are not able to gather data about physical host computer systems. Therefore, they are not able to gather and provide information about, for example, processor types or the number of processor cores. Without this information, it is impossible to calculate the PVU or systems capacity for a given software and maintain license compliance - you can only obtain this information when data from agents as well as VM managers are accessible.
    CIT enabler is a script that allows obtaining information about the VMware or Microsoft Virtual Server virtualization environment. The enabler is installed on the computer which hosts the guest operating systems, and it stores the correct hardware information on the guest operating systems. You must run the enabler script on the host system first, before installing the IBM License Metric Tool agent, and again after every reboot or VM configuration change.

Having written such introduction let's answer your questions.
    First of all, CIT enabler should be treated rather as workaround where access to VM Managers cannot be established. CIT enabler is quite inconvenient solution, as user must remember to run it manually every time the virtual environment changes. Instead virtual machine manager should be added (see references).

• Windows 2000, XP and 2008R2 are supported by agents (The same agent's binaries are used for all those systems).
    • CIT enabler is not supported for ESX Server 5.0 and such situation will not change most probably. It does not depend on ILMT. CIT enabler uses VMWare API to gather necessary information. That API was abandoned. In vSphere 5 there is no more plain ESX but iESX (embedded) and there is no possibility to run CIT enabler there.
    Please configure VM manager instead of running CIT enabler and ILMT agent 7.5 will work on your machine: VMware vSphere 5.0 + Windows 2008 R2.
    Regards,
    Michał Klak
    References:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v53r1/topic/com.ibm.lmt75.doc/com.ibm.license.mgmt.planinconf.doc/t_running_cit_enabler.html
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v53r1/topic/com.ibm.lmt75.doc/com.ibm.license.mgmt.admin.doc/c_vm_managers.html
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v53r1/topic/com.ibm.lmt75.doc/com.ibm.license.mgmt.admin.doc/r_vmware.html
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v53r1/topic/com.ibm.lmt75.doc/com.ibm.license.mgmt.admin.doc/t_adding_new_vm_managers.html
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v53r1/topic/com.ibm.lmt75.doc/com.ibm.license.mgmt.planinconf.doc/r_supported_platforms_agents.html

The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.
    You can always extend your knowledge of ILMT by
    visiting this site:
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home/wiki/IBM+License+Metric+Tool
  • Harry_engg
    Harry_engg
    2 Posts

‏2012-10-12T06:06:05Z  
    Hi Osmosis,

I have a feeling that some things are mixed here... Let me explain.

The following concepts are used in ILMT:
    • Agent
    • CIT
    • VM Manager
    • CIT Enabler

In general:
    Agent is a small program that runs on the machines (virtual or physical) to discover the software installed there.

CIT is a component. CIT is an integral part of ILMT agent that is separately versioned. There are three types of scans performed by the agent using the CIT component:
    • Software scans detect installed software products.
    • The software use scanner monitors applications running at a given moment.
    • Hardware scans return information on the hardware characteristics of the scanned system.

A VM Manager (virtual machine manager) is a particular source of data that is provided by the virtualization vendor. Use VM managers to administer virtual machines in your IT infrastructure and to access their data. VM managers are used to collect information concerning virtual machines that are installed in your infrastructure. Due to the nature of some virtualization technologies, for example VMware, agents deployed on such virtualization solutions are not able to gather data about physical host computer systems. Therefore, they are not able to gather and provide information about, for example, processor types or the number of processor cores. Without this information, it is impossible to calculate the PVU or systems capacity for a given software and maintain license compliance - you can only obtain this information when data from agents as well as VM managers are accessible.
    CIT enabler is a script that allows obtaining information about the VMware or Microsoft Virtual Server virtualization environment. The enabler is installed on the computer which hosts the guest operating systems, and it stores the correct hardware information on the guest operating systems. You must run the enabler script on the host system first, before installing the IBM License Metric Tool agent, and again after every reboot or VM configuration change.

Having written such introduction let's answer your questions.
    First of all, CIT enabler should be treated rather as workaround where access to VM Managers cannot be established. CIT enabler is quite inconvenient solution, as user must remember to run it manually every time the virtual environment changes. Instead virtual machine manager should be added (see references).

• Windows 2000, XP and 2008R2 are supported by agents (The same agent's binaries are used for all those systems).
    • CIT enabler is not supported for ESX Server 5.0 and such situation will not change most probably. It does not depend on ILMT. CIT enabler uses VMWare API to gather necessary information. That API was abandoned. In vSphere 5 there is no more plain ESX but iESX (embedded) and there is no possibility to run CIT enabler there.
    Please configure VM manager instead of running CIT enabler and ILMT agent 7.5 will work on your machine: VMware vSphere 5.0 + Windows 2008 R2.
    Regards,
    Michał Klak
    References:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v53r1/topic/com.ibm.lmt75.doc/com.ibm.license.mgmt.planinconf.doc/t_running_cit_enabler.html
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v53r1/topic/com.ibm.lmt75.doc/com.ibm.license.mgmt.admin.doc/c_vm_managers.html
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v53r1/topic/com.ibm.lmt75.doc/com.ibm.license.mgmt.admin.doc/r_vmware.html
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v53r1/topic/com.ibm.lmt75.doc/com.ibm.license.mgmt.admin.doc/t_adding_new_vm_managers.html
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v53r1/topic/com.ibm.lmt75.doc/com.ibm.license.mgmt.planinconf.doc/r_supported_platforms_agents.html

The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.
    You can always extend your knowledge of ILMT by
    visiting this site:
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home/wiki/IBM+License+Metric+Tool
    Hi Michal,

Your post is really informative. I have some queries on that.

As you mentioned, ESXi 5 is not supported for CIT enabler and the reason behind that is very logical. There is an IBM document which says the same :
    http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v53r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.lmt75.doc%2Fcom.ibm.license.mgmt.admin.doc%2Fr_vmware.html

Also, there is one more IBM document which says ESXi 5 is supported:
    ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/passportadvantage/SubCapacity/Eligible_Virtualization_Technology.pdf

Two queries on this:
    1) Does this mean that ESXi 5 is now supported for VM managers or is it true for CIT enablers also?
    2) Where is the location for the three CIT services in agent installable (as mentioned in the first link). I found the services in ILMT server installation which should not be the case as CIT enabler has to be run on ESX servers and before installation the ILMT agent.

I Look forward to hearing from you

Regards,
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    340 Posts

‏2012-10-12T09:34:14Z  
    Hi Michal,

Your post is really informative. I have some queries on that.

As you mentioned, ESXi 5 is not supported for CIT enabler and the reason behind that is very logical. There is an IBM document which says the same :
    http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v53r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.lmt75.doc%2Fcom.ibm.license.mgmt.admin.doc%2Fr_vmware.html

Also, there is one more IBM document which says ESXi 5 is supported:
    ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/passportadvantage/SubCapacity/Eligible_Virtualization_Technology.pdf

Two queries on this:
    1) Does this mean that ESXi 5 is now supported for VM managers or is it true for CIT enablers also?
    2) Where is the location for the three CIT services in agent installable (as mentioned in the first link). I found the services in ILMT server installation which should not be the case as CIT enabler has to be run on ESX servers and before installation the ILMT agent.

I Look forward to hearing from you

Regards,
    Hi Harry,

Two words of explanation for all Forum users...
    Eligible Virtualization Technology document states, among other things, what virtualizatoin technologies are supported by ILMT in regards of Subcapacity. This is a kind of general statement without specifying the details that must be met. In most cases the details you can find in Information Center for ILMT (there is separate Infocenter per ILMT release, so be careful and open the right one).

Answering your questions:
    ESXi 5 is supported by ILMT for quite a long time by using VM Managers feature. CIT enabler cannot be used here.
    What may confuse you here is the 'i' next to ESX. Please be aware, saying ESXi5 and ESX 5, you talk about the same thing. From version 5, there is no separate family with and without 'i'. Appropriate is to use ESXi 5, not ESX 5, however even in VMware documents you may find both names.

I'm quite confused with this question. What three services do you refer to? Do you mean three different type of scans I've mentioned in my previous post? If yes, the binaries for them are inside CIT component installation directory. To find out where it resides on your machine, please take a look into:
    /etc/cit/cit.ini
    <WIN_DIR>\cit\cit.ini e.g. C:\Windows\cit\cit.ini
    If you are talking about binaries of CIT enabler, this is separate package. Agent package does not contain it.

Please let me know if my post answers your question.

Regards,
    Michał Klak
    ILMT Central Team

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.
    Please contact product support if you need IBM's official advice.

If you want to extend your knowledge of ILMT, you may check this site:
  • Harry_engg
    Harry_engg
    2 Posts

‏2012-10-13T07:42:25Z  
    Hi Harry,

Two words of explanation for all Forum users...
    Eligible Virtualization Technology document states, among other things, what virtualizatoin technologies are supported by ILMT in regards of Subcapacity. This is a kind of general statement without specifying the details that must be met. In most cases the details you can find in Information Center for ILMT (there is separate Infocenter per ILMT release, so be careful and open the right one).

Answering your questions:
    ESXi 5 is supported by ILMT for quite a long time by using VM Managers feature. CIT enabler cannot be used here.
    What may confuse you here is the 'i' next to ESX. Please be aware, saying ESXi5 and ESX 5, you talk about the same thing. From version 5, there is no separate family with and without 'i'. Appropriate is to use ESXi 5, not ESX 5, however even in VMware documents you may find both names.

I'm quite confused with this question. What three services do you refer to? Do you mean three different type of scans I've mentioned in my previous post? If yes, the binaries for them are inside CIT component installation directory. To find out where it resides on your machine, please take a look into:
    /etc/cit/cit.ini
    <WIN_DIR>\cit\cit.ini e.g. C:\Windows\cit\cit.ini
    If you are talking about binaries of CIT enabler, this is separate package. Agent package does not contain it.

Please let me know if my post answers your question.

Regards,
    Michał Klak
    ILMT Central Team

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.
    Please contact product support if you need IBM's official advice.

If you want to extend your knowledge of ILMT, you may check this site:
    Thanks Michal !

It answered all my queries.