Topic
  • 15 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-03-01T20:03:32Z by Ravi_Hariharan
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
6195 Posts

Pinned topic JSF 2.0 support in RBD

‏2012-02-22T15:00:25Z |
A quick look to RBD 8 documentation suggests that JSF 2.0 and facelets are not supported. (Am I right?) However, the "sibling product" Rational Application Developer 8 already supports them. Is JSF 2.0 on the RBD roadmap?
Updated on 2013-03-01T20:03:32Z at 2013-03-01T20:03:32Z by Ravi_Hariharan
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6195 Posts

Re: JSF 2.0 support in RBD

‏2012-03-13T15:20:41Z  
    I'd like to know the answer to this too. I could use features of JSF 2.0 in RBD.
  • LisaLasher
    LisaLasher
    45 Posts

‏2012-03-13T15:45:16Z  
    You are correct - RBD does not currently support JSF 2.0. In the next release we expect to work with JSF 2.0, but only in toleration mode - we do not have any enhancements in plan to take advantage of new JSF features, such as facelets.

You could open an RFE for facelet support on the developerWorks RFE Community. However, to be quite honest, I think there's a good chance it would be rejected. Rich UI is our strategic direction for Web interfaces, so we are far more likely to invest in Rich UI enhancements than in JSF enhancements.

Lisa Lasher
    EGL Project Manager
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6195 Posts

‏2012-03-15T08:22:56Z  
    You are correct - RBD does not currently support JSF 2.0. In the next release we expect to work with JSF 2.0, but only in toleration mode - we do not have any enhancements in plan to take advantage of new JSF features, such as facelets.

You could open an RFE for facelet support on the developerWorks RFE Community. However, to be quite honest, I think there's a good chance it would be rejected. Rich UI is our strategic direction for Web interfaces, so we are far more likely to invest in Rich UI enhancements than in JSF enhancements.

Lisa Lasher
    EGL Project Manager
    Thank you for the reply. I will try my luck and submit a RFE.

Regarding JSF 2.0 and JSP, how viable alternative would that be? Since JSP has deprecated status in JSF 2.0, is there anything to be gained by upgrading to JSF 2.0 but retaining JSP as the view?
  • Ravi_Hariharan
    Ravi_Hariharan
    77 Posts

‏2012-03-16T22:12:34Z  
    Thank you for the reply. I will try my luck and submit a RFE.

Regarding JSF 2.0 and JSP, how viable alternative would that be? Since JSP has deprecated status in JSF 2.0, is there anything to be gained by upgrading to JSF 2.0 but retaining JSP as the view?
    i would prefer using Primefaces if the RFE goes thru :)
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6195 Posts

‏2012-04-17T13:19:30Z  

Lisa Lasher
    EGL Project Manager
    RFE created at http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=21525.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6195 Posts

‏2012-05-04T07:52:48Z  
    Not surprisingly, RFE rejected.
  • vasanthaprabu
    vasanthaprabu
    1 Post

‏2012-10-13T10:11:34Z  
    Not surprisingly, RFE rejected.
    Hi,

i,m currently using RBD8.5 and i tried to create EGL support with JSF and JSF2.0 features project but JSF 2.0 version not supported in EGL.

here i attached error Screen shot...Anybody know the solution please reply me..
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6195 Posts

‏2012-10-13T12:39:04Z  
    Hi,

i,m currently using RBD8.5 and i tried to create EGL support with JSF and JSF2.0 features project but JSF 2.0 version not supported in EGL.

here i attached error Screen shot...Anybody know the solution please reply me..
    The solution is not to use JSF 2.0 as it is not supported. If you are deploying to Tomcat, even JSF 1.2 is not supported (a resolution to a recent PMR of ours is that we can use JSF 1.2 implementation but only JSF 1.1 spec is supported).
  • Ravi_Hariharan
    Ravi_Hariharan
    77 Posts

‏2013-01-18T22:40:37Z  
    The solution is not to use JSF 2.0 as it is not supported. If you are deploying to Tomcat, even JSF 1.2 is not supported (a resolution to a recent PMR of ours is that we can use JSF 1.2 implementation but only JSF 1.1 spec is supported).
    Hi TuukkaIlomäki ,

Just trying to figure out what you mean by "only JSF 1.1 spec" , but we can use " we can use JSF 1.2 implementation".

Any idea of what things will fail when we used JSF 1.2 for EGL?

Also when we use JSF 1.2 , there will be java code for custom PhaseListener,Converter, Validator. These will confirm to JSF 1.2 spec according to me.

I might have a discussion with IBM over the next week since we had a discussion on migrating to WAS 8.5.. and we have raised the concern of EGL with JSF. let see what they have to say.

Regards
    Ravi
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6195 Posts

‏2013-01-19T19:31:47Z  
    Hi TuukkaIlomäki ,

Just trying to figure out what you mean by "only JSF 1.1 spec" , but we can use " we can use JSF 1.2 implementation".

Any idea of what things will fail when we used JSF 1.2 for EGL?

Also when we use JSF 1.2 , there will be java code for custom PhaseListener,Converter, Validator. These will confirm to JSF 1.2 spec according to me.

I might have a discussion with IBM over the next week since we had a discussion on migrating to WAS 8.5.. and we have raised the concern of EGL with JSF. let see what they have to say.

Regards
    Ravi
    Hello Ravi,
    I cannot say what will fail - or if anything will fail. It is only that IBM does not support using JSF 1.2 spec, so if something fails, IBM won't fix it. This is at least if Tomcat is used as runtime - I do not know it JSF 1.2 is supported on WAS.

There are some differences between JSF 1.1 and JSF 1.2 specs. For instance, in JSF 1.2 you can create custom messages with requiredMessage, converterMessage, and validatorMessage attributes. You cannot use those in JSF 1.1. Differences between JSF versions are described in http://www.roseindia.net/jsf/jsf-versions.shtml

Hence, you must create the web application as JSF 1.1 but when you deploy it you can use JSF 1.2 jars.
  • Ravi_Hariharan
    Ravi_Hariharan
    77 Posts

‏2013-01-20T14:02:13Z  
    Hello Ravi,
    I cannot say what will fail - or if anything will fail. It is only that IBM does not support using JSF 1.2 spec, so if something fails, IBM won't fix it. This is at least if Tomcat is used as runtime - I do not know it JSF 1.2 is supported on WAS.

There are some differences between JSF 1.1 and JSF 1.2 specs. For instance, in JSF 1.2 you can create custom messages with requiredMessage, converterMessage, and validatorMessage attributes. You cannot use those in JSF 1.1. Differences between JSF versions are described in http://www.roseindia.net/jsf/jsf-versions.shtml

Hence, you must create the web application as JSF 1.1 but when you deploy it you can use JSF 1.2 jars.
    Hi TuukkaIlomäki ,

Last June we did a migration of RBD 7 to RBD 8 and also moved from WAS 6.1 to WAS 7.

Since we had some custom code in Java , there code had to be fixed as per JSF 1.2.

Since we migrated from JSF1.1 , all code met the spec and we did not have much issue.

One issue is the new version of jstl cased some problem.

Anyway will keep u u posted of what happens next week since we are doing a technology road map. .. and it looks like we are stuck with JSF... over 1200 screens and that we cannot move of to better features like rich ui since it would end up to a complete rewrite of presentation layer.

Thanks
    Ravi
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6195 Posts

‏2013-01-20T18:21:55Z  
    Hi TuukkaIlomäki ,

Last June we did a migration of RBD 7 to RBD 8 and also moved from WAS 6.1 to WAS 7.

Since we had some custom code in Java , there code had to be fixed as per JSF 1.2.

Since we migrated from JSF1.1 , all code met the spec and we did not have much issue.

One issue is the new version of jstl cased some problem.

Anyway will keep u u posted of what happens next week since we are doing a technology road map. .. and it looks like we are stuck with JSF... over 1200 screens and that we cannot move of to better features like rich ui since it would end up to a complete rewrite of presentation layer.

Thanks
    Ravi
    Hello Ravi,
    the next thing we have planned is to migrate to Tomcat 6 since Tomcat 5.5 is already end-of-life. The code will remain unchanged and be according to JSF 1.1 specification but we will be using JSF 1.2 jars in Tomcat 6.

We tried migrating to RBD 8.5 but the behavior of links has been changed in RBD 8 such a manner that it breaks our deployment system (see here). As it is a RAD issue rather than a RBD issue, getting a fix will take a long time.

I do not think we'll go to RichUI. More likely, we'll switch to something like Spring MVC for the web functionality.

Please keep us posted regarding your road map - at least I will be very interested in it.
  • Ravi_Hariharan
    Ravi_Hariharan
    77 Posts

‏2013-01-27T00:25:12Z  
    Hello Ravi,
    the next thing we have planned is to migrate to Tomcat 6 since Tomcat 5.5 is already end-of-life. The code will remain unchanged and be according to JSF 1.1 specification but we will be using JSF 1.2 jars in Tomcat 6.

We tried migrating to RBD 8.5 but the behavior of links has been changed in RBD 8 such a manner that it breaks our deployment system (see here). As it is a RAD issue rather than a RBD issue, getting a fix will take a long time.

I do not think we'll go to RichUI. More likely, we'll switch to something like Spring MVC for the web functionality.

Please keep us posted regarding your road map - at least I will be very interested in it.
    Hi TuukkaIlomäki ,

We had a meeting with IBM on Friday. mark evans was also part of the call. got to know from mark that IBM will come up with a tech note of how JSF EGL could work on WAS 8 / 8.5.

It will still meet only JSF 1.1 spec.

6 yrs back we started re-writing our app from powerhouse and moved to JSF EGL.. now looks like we need to plan another rewite or at least a change our presentation layer :(..

Regards
    Ravi
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6195 Posts

‏2013-01-28T06:24:15Z  
    Hi TuukkaIlomäki ,

We had a meeting with IBM on Friday. mark evans was also part of the call. got to know from mark that IBM will come up with a tech note of how JSF EGL could work on WAS 8 / 8.5.

It will still meet only JSF 1.1 spec.

6 yrs back we started re-writing our app from powerhouse and moved to JSF EGL.. now looks like we need to plan another rewite or at least a change our presentation layer :(..

Regards
    Ravi
    Hello Ravi,
    pretty much same history here, except that we migrated from Lotus Notes to JSF EGL 6-7 years ago. Hence, now we are very careful to try to select a technology that will be supported in the future.

In your case the discrepancy is even larger than in our case. We run JSF 1.1 on Tomcat 6 that implements servlet spec 2.5 and JSP spec 2.1 wherease I assume WAS 8 implements servlet spec 3.0 and JSP spec 2.2.

Tuukka
  • Ravi_Hariharan
    Ravi_Hariharan
    77 Posts

‏2013-03-01T20:03:32Z  
    Hello Ravi,
    pretty much same history here, except that we migrated from Lotus Notes to JSF EGL 6-7 years ago. Hence, now we are very careful to try to select a technology that will be supported in the future.

In your case the discrepancy is even larger than in our case. We run JSF 1.1 on Tomcat 6 that implements servlet spec 2.5 and JSP spec 2.1 wherease I assume WAS 8 implements servlet spec 3.0 and JSP spec 2.2.

Tuukka
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21621732