Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-03-05T08:40:19Z by NikhilJha
dgowan777
dgowan777
6 Posts

Pinned topic ITCAM Microsoft Applications - Sharepoint DB user/paswd configuration ?

‏2012-02-21T19:18:22Z |
Dear dW,

Reviewing the configuration options for the ITCAM for Microsoft Applications Sharepoint agent, v6.2.2, there are two different optional configuration items:

SharePoint Database Configuration for MOSS (MOSS_APPLICATION_CONFIGURATION)

Database user/password

and

SharePoint Database Configuration for MSPS (SPS_APPLICATION_CONFIGURATION)

Database user/password

I am unable to glean from the User's Guide what these two userids are used for. Since they're optional, what data will I not have access to if one or both are not configured?

Any assistance or references will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Darin Gowan
  • lajohnson
    lajohnson
    1 Post

Re: ITCAM Microsoft Applications - Sharepoint DB user/paswd configuration ?

‏2012-02-23T21:49:00Z  
    Darin-

Unfortunately I have the same question. Any luck in finding your answer?
    Regards,

Lukas Johnson
  • gulfsoft
    gulfsoft
    20 Posts

‏2012-02-23T23:36:53Z  
    I did a quick search on Google:

https://www.google.com/webhp?q=sharepoint%20moss%20msps

And it appears to be just a difference in versions, where it was previously Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007, and is now Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010. So if you're using 2007 and have a password, set MOSS. If using 2010, set MSPS.

We can make Tivoli software work for you!
    www.gulfsoft.com
  • ChengLuo
    ChengLuo
    3 Posts

‏2012-02-24T02:17:40Z  
    Hi,

For SharePoint agent v622 the Configuration window provides for user credential for SQL authentication to SharePoint databases. The configuration has two different tabs one each for the two versions of SharePoint Server.
    The tab for SharePoint Database Configuration for MOSS is used for authentication with SharePoint database if the version of SharePoint server is MOSS 2007, whereas SharePoint Database Configuration for MSPS is used for authentication with SharePoint database if the version of SharePoint server is MSPS 2003.
    For example, if your server is MOSS 2007 and if agent is not able to connect to database using windows authentication then add the SQL database user id and password in the SharePoint Database Configuration for MOSS panel and leave the other tab blank.

The configuration is optional because the SharePoint agent tries to connect to the SharePoint configuration database using Windows authentication by default.
    You could leave the configuration panel blank and in this case the agent will try to connect to the database using Windows authentication.

The agent gets its data for some of the workspaces from SharePoint database. These workspaces will not provide data if the permission level required is not sufficiently met.
    To assign the right permission level please refer Table 12. Workspace problems and solutions row 13 of the user guide. The Solution column talks about the permission level for Windows and SQL authentication. Search the text db_datareader in the user guide

We made some enhancements in agent v623 for Windows authentication so that there is no need to add Windows account as db_datareader in the configuration database. Thus reducing any manual changes in SharePoint database.

Please let us know if you have any further query.
  • NikhilJha
    NikhilJha
    2 Posts

‏2012-02-24T05:19:13Z  
    • gulfsoft
    • ‏2012-02-23T23:36:53Z
    I did a quick search on Google:

https://www.google.com/webhp?q=sharepoint%20moss%20msps

And it appears to be just a difference in versions, where it was previously Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007, and is now Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010. So if you're using 2007 and have a password, set MOSS. If using 2010, set MSPS.

We can make Tivoli software work for you!
    www.gulfsoft.com
    Please do not use MSPS panel for SharePoint 2010. Use MOSS for MOSS 2007.
    SharePoint 2010 monitoring is not supported using SharePoint agent v622.
    The support for SharePoint 2010 is provided from agent version 622fp1 and 623.

Thanks,
    Nikhil
  • dgowan777
    dgowan777
    6 Posts

‏2012-02-28T18:31:47Z  
    • ChengLuo
    • ‏2012-02-24T02:17:40Z
    Hi,

For SharePoint agent v622 the Configuration window provides for user credential for SQL authentication to SharePoint databases. The configuration has two different tabs one each for the two versions of SharePoint Server.
    The tab for SharePoint Database Configuration for MOSS is used for authentication with SharePoint database if the version of SharePoint server is MOSS 2007, whereas SharePoint Database Configuration for MSPS is used for authentication with SharePoint database if the version of SharePoint server is MSPS 2003.
    For example, if your server is MOSS 2007 and if agent is not able to connect to database using windows authentication then add the SQL database user id and password in the SharePoint Database Configuration for MOSS panel and leave the other tab blank.

The configuration is optional because the SharePoint agent tries to connect to the SharePoint configuration database using Windows authentication by default.
    You could leave the configuration panel blank and in this case the agent will try to connect to the database using Windows authentication.

The agent gets its data for some of the workspaces from SharePoint database. These workspaces will not provide data if the permission level required is not sufficiently met.
    To assign the right permission level please refer Table 12. Workspace problems and solutions row 13 of the user guide. The Solution column talks about the permission level for Windows and SQL authentication. Search the text db_datareader in the user guide

We made some enhancements in agent v623 for Windows authentication so that there is no need to add Windows account as db_datareader in the configuration database. Thus reducing any manual changes in SharePoint database.

Dear ChengLuo,

Thank you for this valuable information.

I recently learned that we will be installing the 6.2.3 version of the ITCAM for Microsoft Applications - Sharepoint agent, not the 6.2.2 version as previously posted.

I did see the comment regarding improved windows authentication in the 6.2.3 user's guide: "Updated the procedure for retrieving data from SQL Server database by using Windows authentication". Any further light you can shed on this will be appreciated.

Assuming that the agent runs using the "LocalSystem" account, and no db user or password is configured, how can I find out what attributes or workspaces will not provide data - or ultimately, not be able to be monitored?

The reason for this inquiry is due many corporate IT security policies make it very difficult (nigh unto impossible) to obtain a non-expiring password for an account.

Thank you.

Darin Gowan
  • dgowan777
    dgowan777
    6 Posts

‏2012-02-28T18:54:15Z  
    • ChengLuo
    • ‏2012-02-24T02:17:40Z
    Hi,

I think I may have found some of the information I am looking for. Regarding what attributes are not available if no db user is defined, I found the following appendix to be helpful (from the 6.2.3 Sharepoint agent user's guide):

Appendix B. Monitoring agent for Microsoft SharePoint Server data collection

From the flip side of this discussion, suppose that I was able to get a new db userid created and configured in the sharepoint agent. What Sharepoint roles, or windows groups are required for the db userid so the agent operates correctly?

Thank you.

Darin Gowan
  • NikhilJha
    NikhilJha
    2 Posts

‏2012-03-05T08:40:19Z  
    • dgowan777
    • ‏2012-02-28T18:31:47Z
    Dear ChengLuo,

Thank you for this valuable information.

I recently learned that we will be installing the 6.2.3 version of the ITCAM for Microsoft Applications - Sharepoint agent, not the 6.2.2 version as previously posted.

I did see the comment regarding improved windows authentication in the 6.2.3 user's guide: "Updated the procedure for retrieving data from SQL Server database by using Windows authentication". Any further light you can shed on this will be appreciated.

Assuming that the agent runs using the "LocalSystem" account, and no db user or password is configured, how can I find out what attributes or workspaces will not provide data - or ultimately, not be able to be monitored?

The reason for this inquiry is due many corporate IT security policies make it very difficult (nigh unto impossible) to obtain a non-expiring password for an account.

Thank you.

Darin Gowan
    Dear Darin,

With run-as Local System and no config values, the agent could fetch information for all attribute groups.

If you are running the agent V623 with LocalSystem the agent will be able to get the database connection using Windows Authentication and hence you could leave the configuration panel blank(do not enter any thing for DB User and Password).
    You can verify that your Windows authentication for the agent is working or not by looking into the workspace for attribute group that fetches data from DB. For example, the attribute group "Database".

Alternatively, search for "return code for Windows authentication " in the log <machinename>_qp_kqpclient_<id>.log. A value of -1 means the Windows Authentication has failed. In that case agent tries to connect using SQL authentication.

Yes, "Appendix B. Monitoring agent for Microsoft SharePoint Server data collection" section tells about the sources of the data for each attribute group. So, in the appendix for each attribute group row that contains "SharePoint database" in the "Collection source" column, some data is collected from database.

Regards,
    Nikhil Jha