3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-02-28T19:29:06Z by kolban
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
7615 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic REST API

‏2012-02-20T14:02:00Z |
Hai,

I want to know in wat conditions the REST API is used?

Plz share me some scenarios wen should i go for REST API?
Thanks
Updated on 2012-02-28T19:29:06Z at 2012-02-28T19:29:06Z by kolban
  • kolban
    kolban
    3314 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: REST API

‏2012-02-20T15:20:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hello there Chrisja,
    The REST API for IBM BPM allows applications to make requests to the IBM BPM runtime. This API can be used for a variety of functions including starting tasks and processes, getting input data for tasks, completing tasks and getting lists of available task. This is only a tiny fraction of what is possible and I'd encourage you to read the InfoCenter articles in depth to read about more of the functional capabilities.

The REST API for IBPM (like most other REST APIs) is believed to be primarily of benefit to applications which will run in the browser and wish to connect back to IBM BPM. This will typically include End User Interface based applications using frameworks such as Dojo, GWT, Flex and the like.

Neil
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      7615 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-02-28T17:02:47Z  in response to kolban
      Hi Neil,
      is there any difference between the REST-API and the WEB-API.
      It seems to me like the REST are a more complete and supported subset of functionalities provided to the end user who wants to get access to the IBPM runtime, like you demonstrate in your video, but I can't unserstand the possible(different) usage of WEB API, advantages and disadvantages.

I'm sorry but I'm quite new to the topic, and maybe my question could seem dumb.. maybe you could provide me some info and help to get more orientated on the topic.

Thanks
      Fabrizio
      • kolban
        kolban
        3314 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-02-28T19:29:06Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hi Fabrizio,
        My understanding was that the Web Service API (aka Web Api aka SOAP API) was originally the only client API available prior to v7.5. There was an unsupported REST API available as well but I am choosing to put that to one side. When 7.5 came along, a fully supported REST API was produced. With 7.5.1 that REST API was again significantly enhanced. I have seen no further enhancements in the Web Service API to match the REST API functional capabilities. What does this mean? Not sure. It would appear (to me) that emphasis is being placed on the REST API over the Web Services API. When one looks at how the client API is being used, it seems (again to me) that is almost exclusively from custom UIs using UI frameworks such as Dojo, GWT, Flex etc etc and these frameworks run in a browser and favor REST over SOAP/HTTP (quite dramatically so).

When I cut my teeth on SOA nearly a decade ago I said "finally ... a vendor neutral protocol (SOAP/HTTP) that we can all agree to use". When REST appeared on the scene I internally groaned and said "oh no ... not again". Personally, I feel REST grew "accidently" when Microsoft introduced XMLHttpRequest (a whole different story) and would have preferred the world stick with one and only one protocol ... and my choice would have been SOAP/HTTP and WSDL ... but REST popularity has grown and it is "claimed" to be easy to use (which it is) ... but, again, in my opinion it has draw backs compared to Web Services. The lack of a description language, the lack of the standardization such as WS-* (where is my REST assured delivery, transactionality, reliable messaging, security models, attachments etc etc etc). However, REST is "at the metal" meaning my programs that I write using REST are pretty darn efficient. If Web Services is C++ or Java then REST is classic "C" with the good and bad associated with it.

The designers of IBM BPM seem to be focusing on REST over Web Services and, if there was only one to be supported, I would have to agree with their decision to provide client framework support for the widest variety of framework packages. For example, I know that Flex has first class Web Services support but I don't think the same is true for Dojo or GWT ... while Flex and GWT and Dojo all have 1st class REST support.

In summation, I think that the Web Services API was originally provided but the current industry "flavor" is now REST and REST is the product's direction for client access until/unless the industry "flavor" changes again.

Neil