Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-02-16T14:14:12Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
9224 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic WAS Dynamic Scripting FeP - documentation??

‏2012-02-15T15:55:11Z |
I've been looking at WebSphere sMash and am interested in the Dynamic Scripting feature pack, as a way of running sMash applications on WAS. I've just downloaded freature pack hoping to evaluate it on small WAS 7.0 test system I have but I can't find documentation anywhere that tells me how to install, configure or use it.

As suggested in the Quick Start Guide, I ran the installer which installed something into a directory. However, it didn't ask me where WAS is installed and as far as I can tell it hasn't installed anything into its directory structure. It's not at all clear what I'm supposed to do next. The Quick Start Guide does include the following:

For complete documentation, including installation instructions, link to the WebSphere sMash information center from the
product library page: http://www-01.ibm.com/software/webservers/smash/library/.

but from that page all I can get to is the sMash infocenter, which contains no mention of the Dynamic Scripting feature pack. The WAS 7 Infocenter contains sections on most of the feature packs but nothing on this one, and even extensive googling fails to find the elusive documentaion.

So, obviously I'm missing something. Can anyone help me find documentation that will tell me how to use this potentially very interesting capability within WAS?

Thanks.
Updated on 2012-02-16T14:14:12Z at 2012-02-16T14:14:12Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9224 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: WAS Dynamic Scripting FeP - documentation??

‏2012-02-16T12:31:22Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Alan,
    The Dynamic Scripting Feature Pack is a little different from the other Feature Packs, in that it repackages the WebSphere sMash technology, and makes it available for use under WebSphere Application Server licensing as a Feature Pack. It runs as an independent, standalone process from any Application Server processes, and serves sMash apps in its own JVM. After install you should see a set of directories containing the sMash command line interface and a configured JDK. It is the "production" deployment, so it does not include access to the AppBuilder tooling feature.

The general lifecycle is to download the free WebSphere sMash Developer Edition from projectzero.org, develop and test your application offline, then package the app and deploy into a Dynamic Scripting Feature Pack installation.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      9224 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: WAS Dynamic Scripting FeP - documentation??

‏2012-02-16T14:14:12Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Yes - many thanks for that. I'd come to the same conclusion myself after discussing it today with a few people in IBM.

I see the licence for this FEP says that it "is supplied only for use with Named Program(s) identified below http://i.e. various WAS versions or their successors. Licensee is prohibited from using this Program in connection with any other software". Do you happen to know what "use with" means in the context? Does it mean there has to be a WAS installed on the same machine? Or does the app running in sMash have to depend on or use something in WAS to qualify? Or is it sufficient to have a WAS licence for each machine that the FEP is installed on, even if WAS itself isn't installed there?

Thanks again for that.

Alan