Topic
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-19T02:27:37Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
483 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Step-by-Step Guide to monitor Oracle ASO

‏2012-02-15T08:33:29Z |
Hi, I'm seeking for a details configuration guide, preferably with step-by-step instruction on how to configure inspection for Oracle ASO. My Oracle is 11g on AIX 5.3. The user guide is confusing and not precise so need some advise here.
Updated on 2013-03-19T02:27:37Z at 2013-03-19T02:27:37Z by SystemAdmin
  • JoyceTannous
    JoyceTannous
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Step-by-Step Guide to monitor Oracle ASO

‏2012-02-16T20:37:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

In order to capture oracle ASO traffic for AIX 5.3 we need to install STAP and add an inspection engine for this oracle then we need to activate ATAP using guardctl utility. In order to activate ATAP:
    • stop oracle database
    • Full path to guardctl and give it the parameters: db-instance, db-home, db-type, db-user, db-version, ex:
    /usr/local/guardium/guard_stap/guardctl db-instance=oracle_Instance db-home=oracle_Home db-type=oracle db-user=oracle_User db-version=Version_Of_Oracle store-conf
    • instrument the database ex:
    /usr/local/guardium/guard_stap/guardctl db-instance=oracle_Instance instrument
    • activate ATAP ex:
    /usr/local/guardium/guard_stap/guardctl db-instance=oracle_Instance activate
    • restart oracle

Thanks
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      483 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-02-17T01:53:53Z  in response to JoyceTannous
      Hi Joyce,

May I know if the customer has multiple instances in the Oracle, should I run it multiple times:

/usr/local/guardium/guard_stap/guardctl db-instance=oracle_Instance1 db-home=oracle_Home db-type=oracle db-user=oracle_User db-version=Version_Of_Oracle store-conf

/usr/local/guardium/guard_stap/guardctl db-instance=oracle_Instance2 db-home=oracle_Home db-type=oracle db-user=oracle_User db-version=Version_Of_Oracle store-conf

/usr/local/guardium/guard_stap/guardctl db-instance=oracle_InstanceX db-home=oracle_Home db-type=oracle db-user=oracle_User db-version=Version_Of_Oracle store-conf

For Oracle_user, is which user do we referring to? And, what roles should the Oracle_user required?

The Version_Of_Oracle is just a symbolic only, right? For instance, I just enter as 10 or 11 only, right?
      regards,
      Teh
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      483 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-08T12:07:28Z  in response to JoyceTannous
      Hi,

May I know do I need to perform the following task as stated in the IBM document - http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21598026

• Running the guardctl command relinks two libraries to the oracle executable, for example:

/usr/local/guardium/lib/libguard-atap-oracle-any-32.a in /usr/lib
      and
      /usr/local/guardium/lib/libguard-atap-oracle-any-32.so in /usr/lib
      AND,

• If the software is installed with GIM, make sure that environment variable GIM_ROOT_DIR is set to ATAP expects GIM_ROOT_DIR to the <guardium_base>/modules directory (absolute path). Guardium S-TAP must be restarted after setting this variable.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        483 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-14T15:42:07Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Guys,

The guide provided by IBM in the link is not working and the command are wrong. I'm currently working with IBM support on this matter. Once, I have the proper set of command and tested working, I will post it here.
        regards,
        Teh
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          483 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-19T02:27:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          A new update, do anyone here knowing what is this error message mean?

1. Oracle on AIX has to use instrumentation
          2. ERROR: Database has not been instrumented yet - please run 'instrument'

IBM L3 gave me the new set of command to run and I got the above error message.

You know what, IBM support suggest me to setup the similar environment to do my own testing or engaged paid services from IBM to do the testing. What a silly suggestion when a principle can't even provide a proper guide to proof their product does support on what they claim to be.