Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-10-01T19:28:17Z by SystemAdmin
InsuranceMan
InsuranceMan
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Cannot Disable PurifyPlus in Visual Studio 2005

‏2012-02-10T20:27:11Z |
I'm running Visual Studio 2005 v 8.0.50727.762 with Rational Purify for Windows v 7.0.1.0 Build 11103. I've been charged with finding my way around the software, specifically the Purify integration with VS 2005. I'm having an issue disable the Purify runtime features. Everytime I debug purify is running in the background. I can't find out how to turn it off. From VS in the PurifyPlus menu, neither of the three features are engaged. This sounds like a quick fix, I'm just hoping someone can help me with the answer.
Updated on 2012-10-01T19:28:17Z at 2012-10-01T19:28:17Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2948 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Cannot Disable PurifyPlus in Visual Studio 2005

‏2012-02-10T23:15:03Z  in response to InsuranceMan
    Hi InsuranceMan,

All I can give you is my best guess at a workaround:

1. First, locate the "scripts" subdirectory under PurifyPlus. e.g.:
    C:\Program Files\IBM\RationalPurifyPlus\PurifyPlus\scripts

2. Uninstall PurifyPlus by running the PDRemoveVS2005Integration.cmd
    script. Does Purify still run in the background when you debug?

3. You can reinstall PurifyPlus by running PDAddVS2005Integration.cmd

If that doesn't help, please explain in more detail what you mean by
    "Purify is running in the background". Do you mean you're actually
    debugging a Purify'd executable?

Regards,
    Don
    • InsuranceMan
      InsuranceMan
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-02-14T14:34:13Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hey Don,

Thank you for your help. I tried your workaround but I still seem to be having issues. I tried running PDRemoveVS2005Integration.cmd (it was in C:\Program Files\IBM\RationalPurifyPlus\PurifyPlus\VS2005Integration) and that did not stop Purify from opening. I also tried running RemoveVS2005Integration.cmd (In the same directory) and it removed the PurifyPlus option from the menu bar but Purify still opened when I ran the debugger.

Once I start debugging my executable starts loading PurfiyPlus files. Below are a few lines I've copied from the output:

'Debug.exe': Loaded 
      'C:\Program Files\IBM\RationalPurifyPlus\Common\purert.dll', No symbols loaded. 
      'C:\Program Files\IBM\RationalPurifyPlus\Common\purewq.dll', No symbols loaded. 
      'C:\Program Files\IBM\RationalPurifyPlus\PurifyPlus\cache\$Rm.DLL', No symbols loaded.

Once all the files are loaded the standalone version of PurifPlus automatically opens. VS 2005 continues to debug the program but PurifyPlus runs like the executable to be debugged was initially run from within PurifyPlus.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        2948 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-02-14T23:54:57Z  in response to InsuranceMan
        Hi InsuranceMan,

It sounds like somehow the "flag" that indicates that Purify should be enabled
        somehow got stuck in the "ON" position. That being the case, I guess I'd try:

1. Add in the VS2005 Integration, then ENABLE, then DISABLE Purify. The hope
        is that'll switch Purify OFF.
        2. Uninstall and reinstall VS2005. Hopefully, the act of uninstalling VS2005
        will remove all the registry entries and so forth, and reset things back to
        the "initial state".

Have you tried calling Tech Support (800-IBM-SERV)?
        Don
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          2948 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-01T19:28:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          I had the very same problem in Visual Studio 2008.

Go to Project, Properties. Under Debugging you will find "Command" which will contain instructions to execute purify on your program. Change that to $(TargetPath) and you are set.

Hope this helps
          Søren