Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-03-25T20:48:38Z by Mark_Sim-Smith
Mark_Sim-Smith
Mark_Sim-Smith
4 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Unequal load across two Java MQ Clients in Mule

‏2012-02-09T22:56:02Z |
Hi,

I have an application that uses WebSphere MQ 7 as a queue manager. The application runs inside Mule 3.2.0, and until recently used the WebSphere MQ JMS Java libraries version 6.0.0.0. There are two instances of Mule, running on different machines. With the MQ 6.0.0.0 libraries, the pattern of load was 50/50 between the two servers. I.e. one server processed 50% of the messages, and the other processed the remaining 50%. The applications use Mule to listen for incoming messages from a particular MQ Queue (both servers listen to the same queue). This is all fine, and it was as I suspected.

Unfortunately, we found a memory leak in the MQ 6.0.0.0 Java client libraries, so we upgraded to 7.0.1.0. The memory leak went away, but suddenly we are in a situation where one server is processing around 90% of the messages, while the other only processes 10% (the change from 50/50 to 90/10 is very distinct and coincides exactly with the deployment of the new version of the application). There were some other minor changes to the application, but none that would have any change to how messages are pulled off the queue. We cannot see any other explanation for the change. CPU, Disk, and Network all look normal (corresponding to the number of messages being processed), and log files show that individual messages are being processed at the same speed. I have been told that no changes were made to the queue manager at this time.

It appears to me that the algorithm by which messages are allocated to clients changed with the introduction of the new MQ 7.0.1.0 libraries. My theory is that if the two servers are waiting for a message to arrive, one of the servers is always favoured over the other (has a higher priority), where before there was a random allocation. The server that has the apparent lower priority only is allocated a message if the higher-priority server is not currently waiting for a message (the higher-priority server at this time would be busy processing another request). This theory is supported by our QA environment where the rate of message creation is much lower, and we have a split of 1250 messages for one server and 3 for the other.

Can anybody describe whether my theory is correct, and whether we can move back to the random allocation between clients that are waiting for messages to arrive? If my theory is wrong, it is possible that we have a different issue that could result in one server receiving very slowly from the queue which would require further investigation.

Kind regards,

Mark
Updated on 2012-03-25T20:48:38Z at 2012-03-25T20:48:38Z by Mark_Sim-Smith
  • neekrish
    neekrish
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Unequal load across two Java MQ Clients in Mule

‏2012-03-20T08:37:29Z  in response to Mark_Sim-Smith
    May be its due to this APAR http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=171&uid=swg1IZ97460 - IZ97460: MULTIPLE JMS APPLICATIONS ATTACHED TO SINGLE QUEUE SHOW POOR PERFORMANCE AND UNEVEN MESSAGE DISTRIBUTION.

Have you tried with latest fix pack?
    • Mark_Sim-Smith
      Mark_Sim-Smith
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-20T23:09:45Z  in response to neekrish
      Hi Neekrish,

No, we haven't tried the latest fixpack. 7.0.1.7 and 7.0.1.8 has a bug in it that causes the MQ client to hang (I haven't gotten around to submitting a bug report yet), so we are currently operating with 7.0.1.1 I think. I didn't want to try out every version as I have plenty of other stuff to get on with ;).

My main concern was to understand whether this was a bug or a feature... As long as it means that if the apparently higher-processing node fails for some reason, the other node will be able to process at full capacity, then I'm happy enough.

Kind regards,

Mark
  • T.Rob
    T.Rob
    30 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-20T18:50:57Z  in response to Mark_Sim-Smith
    Do you see this uneven distribution under heavy load? If the message rate is low, WMQ normally distributes load unevenly. It's actually surprising that you ever saw 50/50 distribution unless it was measured under heavy load. For more on this, see my recent post on the IBM IMPACT Blog

• T.Rob
    • Mark_Sim-Smith
      Mark_Sim-Smith
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-20T23:14:39Z  in response to T.Rob
      Hi Rob,

Your description in your blog post describes exactly what I am seeing now.

The 50/50 processing we saw was when we had an MQ client version 6.0.0.0 (although nothing has changed on the server as far as I am aware). Now, we definitely see a greater disparity in the distribution of messages across the nodes under light load, and under heavier load this disparity appears to decrease.

If we can move to a later version of the MQ client (7.0.1.6 or beyond), I'll be interested to see if the fix highlighted by Neekrish causes an equal distribution of load again.

Cheers,

Mark
      • T.Rob
        T.Rob
        30 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-21T19:16:26Z  in response to Mark_Sim-Smith
        Try dumping a lot of messages on the queue and see if it evens out. If it does then it's an artifact of queue handles being managed on a stack and "working as designed." If it does not then it is likely the issue Neekrish pointed to.

T.Rob
      • fjb_saper
        fjb_saper
        169 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-25T03:42:52Z  in response to Mark_Sim-Smith
        I would not have expected you to use a 6.0.0.0 client ... (do you ever upgrade ?)
        and I believe the memory leak was fixed in a later 6.0.2 release...

As for V 7.0.1 I would not go below 7.0.1.5 (look at all the JMS fixes) and by the way the GA version is 7.0.1.3 so you are bound to run into a lot of problems in 7.0.1.0
        • Mark_Sim-Smith
          Mark_Sim-Smith
          4 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-25T20:48:38Z  in response to fjb_saper
          Hi fjb_saper,

Fair call about 6.0.0.0. It was early days in the development cycle and a developer just grabbed the JARs off an installation CD that was lying around.

It takes a reasonable amount of testing to work out whether we have problems with a particular revision of the MQ client JARs, and as I've seen, later versions can introduce bugs too, so moving to a newer version cannot just be a drop in place exercise, but requires a fair amount of testing plus now that we're live also a production risk. Many bugs are quite specific and may not affect us. We seem to be happy with 7.0.1.1 at this stage, and I think it's a matter of finding something and sticking to it, rather than continually attempting to upgrade for often unknown benefits. However, with the other bug in 7.0.1.7 and 7.0.1.8, I'll definitely raise them with IBM when I have the time to describe them fully (the bug looks fairly simple and easy to fix).

Cheers,

Mark