Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-07-03T14:55:18Z by SAP_ABAP
n!x
n!x
2 Posts

Pinned topic Unable to transfer a file: Filename too long.

‏2012-02-09T10:04:38Z |
Hi,

While updating a folder from clearcase for the first time, I am getting following error.
Full rights are give to local folder. Any idea, for the solution??
For my other friends its going fine.

Unable to open file "C:\ClearCaseWorkSpace-CashViews5.1\markandayn_RV_CashViews5.1_dev\fi_cashviews\web\CashViewsRC\rc-target\delta-pack\features\org.eclipse.equinox.executable_3.5.0.v20110530-7P7NFUFFLWUl76mart\bin\cocoa\macosx\x86_64\Eclipse.app\Contents\MacOS\eclipse.ini.loading": Filename too long.
Unable to transfer a file: Filename too long.
Unable to copy "c\cdft\9\24\887e154e96024002ab282a74f6b6c823" to "C:\ClearCaseWorkSpace-CashViews5.1\markandayn_RV_CashViews5.1_dev\fi_cashviews\web\CashViewsRC\rc-target\delta-pack\features\org.eclipse.equinox.executable_3.5.0.v20110530-7P7NFUFFLWUl76mart\bin\cocoa\macosx\x86_64\Eclipse.app\Contents\MacOS\eclipse.ini.loading": Filename too long.
Unable to load "eclipse.ini".
Unable to load "MacOS".
Unable to load "Contents".
Unable to load "Eclipse.app".
Unable to load "x86_64".
Unable to load "macosx".
Unable to load "cocoa".
Unable to load "bin".
Unable to load "org.eclipse.equinox.executable_3.5.0.v20110530-7P7NFUFFLWUl76mart".
Unable to load "features".
Unable to load "delta-pack".
Errors were encountered in loading "\fi_cashviews\web\CashViewsRC\rc-target".
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47290 Posts

Re: Unable to transfer a file: Filename too long.

‏2012-02-09T12:38:43Z  
    n!x wrote:
    > Any idea, for the solution??
    > For my other friends its going fine.
    Compare the length of your view tag to this of your 'friends'.
    I guess theirs is shorter. It will give you an indication of how many chars you need to squeeze.

There are various limitations. Some come from Windows and affect snapshot views specifically. But there are some deep inside ClearCase as well--the size of buffers allocated for various operations.

In at least one environment, I measured a performance degradation of 100% for every access when the length of full version extended path exceeded 256. Over 1024, I got plain errors. I believe this was not unique to one environment, and actually I got the same recently with cascading branches.

I would not blame ClearCase for this too much.
    Especially, I refused to vote for RFEs to enlarge those buffers inconditionally: this would just spread the performance penalty to all users.

The real error is a user design error: it is stuffing information in names.
    Names should be kept small to be convenient, essentially from a cognitive point of view: a good name may easily be discriminated from others; it should also be easy to memorize without errors.

A good name is thus 3 to 7 characters long, pronounceable, and devoid from over-specified dependencies. In fact, as it is not trivial to anticipate what might become overspecified in the future, it is reasonable to avoid any second dependency on any name: one is enough!

Marc (a nice and short name, which doesn't tell you much about my skills, my age, etc.)
  • martina
    martina
    1025 Posts

‏2012-02-09T15:49:12Z  
    windows has a system restriction of a max path length of 255 characters.

C:\ClearCaseWorkSpace-CashViews5.1\markandayn_RV_CashViews5.1_dev\fi_cashviews\web\CashViewsRC\rc-target\delta-pack\features\org.eclipse.equinox.executable_3.5.0.v20110530-7P7NFUFFLWUl76mart\bin\cocoa\macosx\x86_64\Eclipse.app\Contents\MacOS\eclipse.ini.loading is 262

I can't tell what in this path is your view-root, what is the vob-tag and what is a directory structure on your system that you made to organize the views.

Changing vob-tag and later will effect everybody. You can change the location of your view-root and the structure before it.
    Martina
    Don't Postpone Joy - Have Fun

ReleaseTEAM Inc
    http://www.releaseteam.com
    IBM Rational Certified Consultants
    IBM Business Partner
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47290 Posts

‏2012-02-09T20:53:38Z  
    • martina
    • ‏2012-02-09T15:49:12Z
    windows has a system restriction of a max path length of 255 characters.

C:\ClearCaseWorkSpace-CashViews5.1\markandayn_RV_CashViews5.1_dev\fi_cashviews\web\CashViewsRC\rc-target\delta-pack\features\org.eclipse.equinox.executable_3.5.0.v20110530-7P7NFUFFLWUl76mart\bin\cocoa\macosx\x86_64\Eclipse.app\Contents\MacOS\eclipse.ini.loading is 262

I can't tell what in this path is your view-root, what is the vob-tag and what is a directory structure on your system that you made to organize the views.

Changing vob-tag and later will effect everybody. You can change the location of your view-root and the structure before it.
    Martina
    Don't Postpone Joy - Have Fun

ReleaseTEAM Inc
    http://www.releaseteam.com
    IBM Rational Certified Consultants
    IBM Business Partner
    You could map the start of your view-root (or any parent folder of your view-root) to a drive letter.

For example, in case C:\ClearCaseWorkSpace-CashViews5.1 is your viewroot, you could m

net use K: C:\ClearCaseWorkSpace-CashViews5.1

And then update your view from the drive you have assigned the viewroot to (in this case K:).
    Your path length will be less than 255 characters and the update should work.

If your view-root is C:\ClearCaseWorkSpace-CashViews5.1\markandayn_RV_CashViews5.1_dev, you could do the mapping as described above or you could do:
    net use K: C:\ClearCaseWorkSpace-CashViews5.1\markandayn_RV_CashViews5.1_dev

Regards,
    Marc
  • brcowan
    brcowan
    763 Posts

‏2012-02-09T21:32:19Z  
    You could map the start of your view-root (or any parent folder of your view-root) to a drive letter.

For example, in case C:\ClearCaseWorkSpace-CashViews5.1 is your viewroot, you could m

net use K: C:\ClearCaseWorkSpace-CashViews5.1

And then update your view from the drive you have assigned the viewroot to (in this case K:).
    Your path length will be less than 255 characters and the update should work.

If your view-root is C:\ClearCaseWorkSpace-CashViews5.1\markandayn_RV_CashViews5.1_dev, you could do the mapping as described above or you could do:
    net use K: C:\ClearCaseWorkSpace-CashViews5.1\markandayn_RV_CashViews5.1_dev

Regards,
    Marc
    >> net use K: C:\ClearCaseWorkSpace-CashViews5.1

SUBST is equally effective, and might actually be what you meant here.

subst K: C:\ClearCaseWorkSpace-CashViews5.1\markandayn_RV_CashViews5.1_dev

BTW: That last directory looks like a default UCM stream (and thence view) name. You may want to encourage users to shorten their stream names. Especially if you are still using CC 2003.06.xx, where long version extended names would break the GUI merge. And the top directory really should be shorter too.

=================================================================
    Brian Cowan
    Advisory Software Engineer
    ClearCase SoftWare Advisory Team (SWAT)
    Rational Software
    IBM Software Group
    550 King St
    Littleton, MA 01460

Phone: 1.978.899.5436
    Web: http://www.ibm.com/software/rational/support/
  • rebeccazoly
    rebeccazoly
    1 Post

Long Path Tool

‏2013-06-18T12:03:12Z  

Long path tool is the best solution for your problem. try it and solve your problem.

• SAP_ABAP
    SAP_ABAP
    3 Posts

Re: Long Path Tool

‏2013-07-03T14:55:18Z  

Long path tool is the best solution for your problem. try it and solve your problem.

Create a view storage location with a shorter name and create a view with a short name, the storage loactaion and view name all go towards the 255 characters