3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-12T15:14:04Z by SystemAdmin
JSNayak
JSNayak
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Importing tables in DOORS from Excel/Word

‏2012-02-08T12:15:45Z |
Hi,
I have a fairly large word document which I need to import into DOORS. The problem is that it has several tables which need to inserted into DOORS as well.
I am not sure of how to go about doing this. I am planning to extract all the tables into one excel sheet so that I get a table free word document, then import this word doc data into DOORS. At the places where the tables are present, I am planning to add an object with unique text.

After getting the data in DOORS the tables from excel shall be imported at the appropriate places in the module by using the unique text (filter the DOORS module for this and then try to insert the tables appropriately). I am not getting how to create tables in DOORS and add the required data in the cells in DOORS using DXL scripts.
Also is my approach correct or can a better approach be advised?
Updated on 2013-02-12T15:14:04Z at 2013-02-12T15:14:04Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3180 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Importing tables in DOORS from Excel/Word

‏2012-02-08T23:00:49Z  in response to JSNayak
    The general convention when it comes to handling tables within DOORS is to import tables as embedded MSWord \ MSExcel OLE objects rather than use the native DOORS Table feature.

Why? Because the native DOORS Table feature is very inflexible and really only suitable for small and simple table structures and formats. If your tables in MSWord or MSExcel format are large in dimension, have merged cells, rotated text, embedded graphics, bulleted lists, and so on, then the DOORS table feature is going to be very disappointing. They are particularly frustrating if you need to add or move rows, columns or cells.

The up side of using DOORS native tables is of course that you can link to table cells and take advantage of change history features - mind you the linking benefit can be a curse as well. So you need to balance the benefits with the pitfalls - and as mentioned above, the general convention is to go with inserting OLE objects unless there is a premium value placed on having them as DOORS tables.

Regardless of whether your using a tool like DOORS or not - tables have always presented problems for Requirements Management and best practices dictate that they are kept as small as possible anyway (not always possible though).

Paul Miller
    Melbourne, Australia
    • ValleyGirl
      ValleyGirl
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-09T16:53:15Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      So is there a DXL script available to import an Excel table into a DOORS table?
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        3180 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-12T15:14:04Z  in response to ValleyGirl
        I have a similar problem while attempting to import Excel tables into DOORS. I have successfully imported several tables of various sizes. I am now using Office 2010 for Excel table creation. When importing, I link the OLE object to the original source to allow for editing at a later time. We would like to keep the tables configuration controlled. After the import and saving of the object, if I click on the object, the DOORS application begins to attempt to open the object. I recieve several dialog messages indicating that the OLE object is already open. WOuld I like to continue opening in Read-only mode. In some other instances, I receive a message that the object caused an error on the last attempt to open it. So I am wondering if inserting the table as a linked OLE object is allowed within DOORS. We would like to keep table information within DOORS as this information is used to generate the requirements specification.
        What might be causing the problem?
        Thanks.