Topic
9 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-08-30T16:50:42Z by rossdavibm
WilliamSchmidt
WilliamSchmidt
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Will SCP run on virtual machines

‏2012-02-07T16:22:03Z |
I would like to try out SCP 1.2. I do not have access to physical machines to perform the install; but I do have access to a fairly robust existing VMWare ESX environment. I can build out the required systems as VMs, but I can't seem to get it to work. The first part of the PXE install goes fine. The 2 storage nodes and 1 compute node PXE boot and come online without any problems, but then the PXE reports "Total free memory of 2 storage nodes is 0gb, less than required memory 10gb of kernel". I found some other info that this is most likely b/c the storage nodes are vms.

This is not a production system, I just want to do a quick test and demo. Is there any way to "trick" the installer into seeing the full memory allocated to storage nodes (tried as much as 12G each node). I also tried more memory on the compute node (up to 16GB), but that did not seem to help.
Updated on 2012-08-30T16:50:42Z at 2012-08-30T16:50:42Z by rossdavibm
  • aelfner
    aelfner
    47 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Will SCP run on virtual machines

‏2012-02-07T21:28:45Z  in response to WilliamSchmidt
    Hi William - I was recently in the identical predicament. I did end up finding a couple physical storage nodes, but more importantly I learned the rule for what works:

The requirement is for a VT enabled CPU, so the KVM vms can be built, which is not possible in say, ESXi 4, but is in ESXi 5. Essentially, if virtual, you need to be able to run VMs on top of a VM.
  • rossella
    rossella
    58 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-02-08T14:38:59Z  in response to WilliamSchmidt
    A possible solution to your problem is to setup and environment in the following way:
    PXE virtual
    Storage nodes virtual
    Compute node physical being the same ESXi hosting the other pieces

Then to avoid the dual virtualization layer, create by hand a VM in the ESXi for each of the kernel services and let them PXE boot after having recorded their MAC addresses in ISAAC.cfg on the PXE server. Then remember to cleanup the content of /var/lib/tftpboot and relaunch firstbox_run on the PXE.

You do not need to launch deploy_all.sh since the kernel service VMs will be automatically installed by the PXE
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      92 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-22T09:39:39Z  in response to rossella
      Greeting,
      rosella, I am also hitting this problem.
      Could you please tell me how to solve this? I don't get your resolution.

Thanks in advance.
      • dazman
        dazman
        2 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-22T11:01:19Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        For customers (many) who only have VMware or Hyper-V in the future, will SCP be enhanced in the future to simply run as VMs only? (without the need of a VM in a VM) or physical hardware. Customers then get the benefits of HA, DRS and even SRM etc.

Daz
        • rossella
          rossella
          58 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-22T17:08:00Z  in response to dazman
          Hi!

The main thing to understand here is the fact that the compute node is hosting the the deployed VMs.
          If you want to have a compute node running as virtual machine you then encounter the problem of dealing with dual layer virtualization... This does not work so smoothly.

A typical thing I've seen getting tried and that does not work is to have the compute node being a VM (running KVM or Xen) on top of ESX 4.1.
          This simply does not work because even if the installation of the compute node is apparently successful, then you'll not manage to deploy any VM because it will be a VM running on top of a KVM that on its turn runs on top of ESX :-(

If you just have an ESX, you can have an SCP installed there as I was explaining in my previous post... well then of course your installation is not really highly available, but I think this is part of the game.

So what you can do in this case is to create in your ESX at least two virtual machines (just create the VMs, tell ESX they will be hosting linux RHEL, no need to install the OS there, the PXE will be doing it for you) for the storage nodes. Configure the storage nodes to boot from pxe.

Then you need to create a VM for each of the kernel service VM (same trick, just tell ESX to create a VM, configure them for pxe boot, the pxe server will be installing them): you need at least 3 HBASEs, 3 zookeepers, 1 ldap, 1 webconsole, 1 webadminconsole, 1 webservice.

take a note of the mac addresses of these VMs.

Then create a virtual machine for the pxe server. Install RHEL on top of the pxe server and install SCP as described in the infocenter.
          Before running firstbox_run, edit ISAAC.cfg and put the MAC addresses you collected before. Then run firstbox_run. Once it completes, boot the kernel services VMs and the storage nodes.

Once they are up, define as compute node the ESX itself, that is run add_compute_vmw.sh. This command will be creating one more VM on top of your ESX. This Vm is needed to host the hyper bot.
          On the other side, if your question was about the demo apckage (the one that gets installed all on a single box), so far it uses KVM as hypervisor, so you need to install it on a physical box.

Hoping it clarifies
          Rossella
          • dazman
            dazman
            2 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-22T23:45:01Z  in response to rossella
            Thanks Rosella,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm still reading the SCP doco to understand it's architecture. Great info. It appears IBM is packaging SCP to specific hypervisor's such as KVM at the moment, which I guess explains why you need KVM etc. My suggestion was more of making SCP more portable for any hypervisor (and obviously targeting the large VMware market, but increasingly Hyper-V in the future)... so components in OVF format. Customers love virtual appliances!

That could still mean that if plenty of capacity is req for SCP. the OVF is deployed to a host (ESXi, Hyper-V, KVM) that might only run 1 or 2 VMs !

Daz
            • rossella
              rossella
              58 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-23T14:03:24Z  in response to dazman
              Hi!

Actually what SCP does is by default using KVM as target hypervisor, but then you can also use ESX (no need for a vCenter, just ESX/ESXi) or Xen...Of course you can mix them up as you wish in the same SCP installation.

More hypervisors may come with the time... just stay tuned ;-)
              • akkinaavinash
                akkinaavinash
                1 Post
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-29T16:17:13Z  in response to rossella
                Hi All,
                Tried to setup SCP on 4 servers (two x3950s and two x3550s). When tried to install storage node (with rhel6.2) on x3950 server via PXE, it throws out an error at console with the message "Disabling IRQ#18". I am just curious to know if anyone of you guys have come across the same error message while installation. I believe this is not related to SCP, but may be something that needs to be done with the server. I upgraded BIOS on x3950 to V1.5 and started the storage node installation again, but the server still gets struck at that message.
                What actually happens is it stays/pause for about 20 minutes at the message on the console and then installs the Storage node successfully. Later on after the reboot it shows up "Kernel Panic" error.
                Any help would be really appreciated!!

Thanks,
                Avi
                • rossdavibm
                  rossdavibm
                  25 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-30T16:50:42Z  in response to akkinaavinash
                  Avinash, that error seems to be related to the "suspend/sleep" functionality, such as for a laptop. Have you tried disabling (if possible) the suspend/resume features in the BIOS?