Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-02-12T21:56:46Z by brataj
pauladuijneveld
pauladuijneveld
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic SDK 6 for s390x, netrexx compile, java.lang.object not found

‏2012-02-06T15:21:43Z |
Hi,

I am trying to get the netrexx 2.05 compiler to run on a RH5 linux with SDK 6. The compiler fails because it can't find java.lang.object.
According to the netrexx docs it should be in rt.jar.
I added rt.jar to the CLASSPATH env. variable with no effect.
I Unzip-ed rt.jar and I found no java.lang.object?
Is this as expected?
SDK 6 was installed without errors from: ibm-java-sdk-6.0-10.0-linux-s390x.bin.

Thanks,
Paula Duijneveld
Updated on 2012-02-12T21:56:46Z at 2012-02-12T21:56:46Z by brataj
  • brataj
    brataj
    41 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: SDK 6 for s390x, netrexx compile, java.lang.object not found

‏2012-02-08T13:35:15Z  in response to pauladuijneveld
    Hi Paula,

I take it that it's not finding java.lang.Object rather than java.lang.object.

As a first step, make sure that your PATH points to the Java's bin directory, and that the LIBPATH and CLASSPATH do NOT mention anything related to Java, either the version you're currently using or any other version. In such an environment, you should be able to successfully run

java -version

If you have a stack traceback you can past here, it might help.

Bernie

PS. java.lang.Object is in vm.jar.
    • pauladuijneveld
      pauladuijneveld
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-02-09T12:10:43Z  in response to brataj
      Hi Bernie,

I just managed to get it working.
      The class file for java.lang.Object was indeed in vm.jar.
      Exactly how the NetRexx compiler attempts to locate the relevant .jar files I don't know but in my installation the .jar file is apparently in an odd location: ..\jre\lib\s390x\compressedrefs\jclSC160\vm.jar.
      Adding this to the CLASSPATH env.variable made the compiler run OK.

Thanks,
      Paula
      • brataj
        brataj
        41 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-02-12T21:56:46Z  in response to pauladuijneveld
        Hi Paula,

The reference to .../compressedrefs/... indicates you're using the 64-bit version of Java. It's available in two variants where "compressed references" refers to a short pointer model that can be used in small to moderated sized heaps.

Anyway, you should not have to add any of the Java jar files to the classpath, the java command should take care of that. (The java command is invoked by the Netrexx compiler shell script.)

I don't have access to a Linux for System z system to check this out on, but it sounds to me like something is broken, most likely your install, as such a basic problem shouldn't have escaped the lab.

Had you tried running the java -version command I suggested before updating your classpath?