Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-02-07T16:24:52Z by diegoloro
diegoloro
diegoloro
14 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic BLA, OSGI and Websphere Cluster

‏2012-02-06T14:43:30Z |
I have a JEE App with EJB and Webservices that call a business level application (BLA) that expose OSGI Services through SCA.

I want to deploy my JEE App on a vertical and horizontal (4 servers, 2 nodes, 2 machines) cluster in WAS.

It is possible to deploy a BLA on the Cluster?
If I need to update an OSGI Service on the internal repository, can I modify it on one only of the two nodes?

So the question is: OSGI repository and BLAs are Clusterizable or my bundles have to be deployed always on all the WAS cluster nodes/servers/OSGIRepositories?

thanks Diego
Updated on 2012-02-07T16:24:52Z at 2012-02-07T16:24:52Z by diegoloro
  • HasanMuhammad
    HasanMuhammad
    8 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: BLA, OSGI and Websphere Cluster

‏2012-02-06T17:45:01Z  in response to diegoloro
    A BLA cannot be deployed onto a Cluster/server. BLA is just an administrative unit to administer the Composition Units (CU applications) deployed within in. It is the Composition Units that can be deployed onto a server/cluster. In this case, you should be able to deploy both the SCA CU and OSGI CU onto a cluster. If an OSGI CU is deployed onto a cluster, if it is exposing it's services via SCA CU, then the SCA CU also has to be deployed on the same cluster. The following link has more details.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v8r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.websphere.nd.doc%2Finfo%2Fae%2Fae%2Ftsca_osgi_deploy.html

For an OSGI asset update, if the update to OSGI asset is only class level updates (such as some business level logic), then it should just work. If the update to OSGI asset is more than that, such as updates to Bundle manifests, or changing any export/import (or adding/removing) of OSGI services etc, then you will have redeploy the SCA asset.
  • diegoloro
    diegoloro
    14 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-02-07T14:48:17Z  in response to diegoloro
    So if I want to deploy my OSGI bundles/services on a WAS cluster I have to package them into an EBA, I can't deploy them in the OSGI Internal Repository of my WAS.
    In that way when I deploy my EBA on the cluster, the OSGI bundles/services are deployed into all nodes and all OSGI repositories of the cluster.
    Is it right?

Thanks a lot,
    Diego
    • MarkN
      MarkN
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-02-07T15:47:30Z  in response to diegoloro
      Hi Diego,

If I need to update an OSGI Service on the internal repository, can I modify it on one only of the two nodes?

There is one internal bundle repository (IBR) to an entire WAS cell. The IBR is centrally located at the dmgr. Bundles are downloaded from the IBR to the particular nodes where they are required as OSGi applications are deployed to those nodes. OSGi applications can be installed onto clusters. It is up to you whether to store your bundles centrally in the IBR, or to package them into a given OSGi application asset. OSGi applications can be deployed onto clusters regardless of where their bundles come from - bundles can come from external bundle repositories, the IBR, or from within application assets.

An OSGi application can only be deployed into a single composition unit (CU). When you update an OSGi application, this creates what we call a "new deployment" in WAS V8. There is then an option on the CU to "move to new deployment." Selecting this option will cause the updates to be made on all the servers onto which the CU is deployed. Therefore if you wish to update an OSGi application running on one node but not another, you need to have a different OSGi application running on each node.

Does this answer your question?

Regards,
      Mark
  • diegoloro
    diegoloro
    14 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-02-07T16:24:52Z  in response to diegoloro
    That's a complete an clear response!

Thanks a lot Mark!