• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-02-10T20:04:26Z by RDzJohn
RVXY_Shajeel_Khan
RVXY_Shajeel_Khan
30 Posts

Pinned topic VSAM's running out of space

‏2012-02-06T12:12:07Z |
Hi All,

Can anyone would help us that the VSAM's "ZFS.Z111S.VERSION.ZFS" and "ZFS.ADCD.VAR" are running out of space. Is there any way to increase its size, volume to get rid of this error OR what method you will propose us?

Thanks,
Shajeel
Updated on 2012-02-10T20:04:26Z at 2012-02-10T20:04:26Z by RDzJohn
  • RDzJohn
    RDzJohn
    271 Posts

Re: VSAM's running out of space

‏2012-02-06T12:45:00Z  
    ZFS.Z111S.VERSION.ZFS is the root file system. Your problem is you've filled it up instead of allocating other ZFS's and mounting them into your file system. Filling up ZFS.ADCD.VAR is another symptom of problems with ZFS management. You have a couple of choices, all involve allocating larger ZFS's copying the existing ZFS's into them, unmounting the current ZFS's, and then mounting the new, larger ZFS. Once you've finished these activities, we always recommend changing the root ZFS to be R/O. This prevents the possibility of ZFS corruption, particularly if you don't enforce good systems management and do an orderly shutdown of your z/OS system before you stop the emulator.

I suggest you get very familiar with the book: Unix System Services: Planning GA22-7800. Chapter 5, Managing the z/OS Unix File System should help you learn how to resolve these problems.

RDzJohn
  • RVXY_Shajeel_Khan
    RVXY_Shajeel_Khan
    30 Posts

‏2012-02-06T18:26:41Z  
    Hi John,

If i increase quota size through extend option in iSHELL so it will work for us? Our data will be safe or it will be lost?

Thanks,
    Shajeel
  • RDzJohn
    RDzJohn
    271 Posts

‏2012-02-06T18:46:43Z  
    Hi John,

If i increase quota size through extend option in iSHELL so it will work for us? Our data will be safe or it will be lost?

Thanks,
    Shajeel
    I don't believe this will help you. Even if it did, it would not address the underlying problem of writing to the root file system. This is very bad practice and needs to be corrected. Eventually you will have a file system corrupted and by writing to the root file system, you are leaving yourself very few options to recover.

RDzJohn
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    253 Posts

‏2012-02-10T17:52:36Z  
    • RDzJohn
    • ‏2012-02-06T18:46:43Z
    I don't believe this will help you. Even if it did, it would not address the underlying problem of writing to the root file system. This is very bad practice and needs to be corrected. Eventually you will have a file system corrupted and by writing to the root file system, you are leaving yourself very few options to recover.

RDzJohn
    Hi John

I'm unable to unmount ZFS.Z111S.VERSION.ZFS data set and unless I'm able to do so, I can't proceed with increasing the volume size, or copying its contents to another data set.

Can you please help here?

Thanks,
    Juzer
  • RDzJohn
    RDzJohn
    271 Posts

‏2012-02-10T20:04:26Z  
    Hi John

I'm unable to unmount ZFS.Z111S.VERSION.ZFS data set and unless I'm able to do so, I can't proceed with increasing the volume size, or copying its contents to another data set.

Can you please help here?

Thanks,
    Juzer
    What problem are you having with unmount? Messages? Abends?

RDzJohn