Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-01-30T11:59:24Z by DavidKirkby
DavidKirkby
DavidKirkby
30 Posts

Pinned topic Start Linux in single user mode from IBM Remote Supervisor Adapter II

‏2012-01-29T03:04:43Z |
I've messed up my CentOS 4.7 installation on my IBM x3550, which means I can't boot it properly, even with console access from the IBM Remote Supervisor Adapter II . I'm 99% sure I know what's wrong - the firewall rules are incorrect, since I'd changed them before rebooting.

The operating system boots to a GUI login screen, but hangs when starting the firewall, as you can see from the attached image. Despite the fact the IBM Remote Supervisor Adapter II has a "Start Remote Control in Single User Mode" option under Tasks -> Remote Control, this does not appear to be starting in single-user mode to me. (At leasat nothing like the single-user mode I'm used to in Solaris).

Is there any way out of this problem?

Perhaps I can remove a disk, stick it in an x3650, and somehow mount the root file system and remove the file with the firewall configuration in it. I don't know how to do this, but I've done a similar thing before on Solaris.

Asa you might guess, I know Solaris better than Linux.

Dave
Updated on 2012-01-30T11:59:24Z at 2012-01-30T11:59:24Z by DavidKirkby
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9111 Posts

Re: Start Linux in single user mode from IBM Remote Supervisor Adapter II

‏2012-01-29T18:05:16Z  
    Dave,

You may be confusing the terminology, which is easily understandable in this case. The option you are selecting in the RSA II web GUI is "single-user" in terms of the number of remote console sessions that will be allowed to operate simultaneously; it has nothing to do with the mechanism to boot the OS into single user mode.

To boot linux into single user, the steps can be easily found with an Internet search. A quick summary would be to interrupt the boot loader countdown to modify the boot command, in the case of GRUB with the character "a" to "add" to the predefined boot arguments. Then you would add the "single" boot command argument and resume the boot process.
  • DavidKirkby
    DavidKirkby
    30 Posts

Re: Start Linux in single user mode from IBM Remote Supervisor Adapter II

‏2012-01-30T11:59:24Z  
    Dave,

You may be confusing the terminology, which is easily understandable in this case. The option you are selecting in the RSA II web GUI is "single-user" in terms of the number of remote console sessions that will be allowed to operate simultaneously; it has nothing to do with the mechanism to boot the OS into single user mode.

To boot linux into single user, the steps can be easily found with an Internet search. A quick summary would be to interrupt the boot loader countdown to modify the boot command, in the case of GRUB with the character "a" to "add" to the predefined boot arguments. Then you would add the "single" boot command argument and resume the boot process.
    Thank you Nathan. I was thinking "single user" and "multi user" referred to run levels in the OS. Thank you for clarifying that.

Dave