Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-01-25T22:40:15Z by SystemAdmin
bardo
bardo
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic purequery and ziip eligible question

‏2012-01-24T23:55:37Z |
Does using purequery in client mode make the resulting calls to z/Os ziip eligible? I am having a tough time finding any information on what is and is not ziip eligible.

I have found it very difficult to find any definitive information other than cryptic comments like:
"In addition, pureQuery can also enable more function to migrate to zIIP and zAAP specialty processors to reduce costs"

With no detail on what that entails. Any details on would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
bardo
Updated on 2012-01-25T22:40:15Z at 2012-01-25T22:40:15Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    90 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: purequery and ziip eligible question

‏2012-01-25T01:23:46Z  in response to bardo
    Hi Bardo,
    I should clarify that pureQuery does not create a new classification of work that is eligible for execution on the specialty processors in a new or proprietary way.

However it does potentially make it easier to create applications that use the existing means for becoming zIIP or zAAP eligible. For applications running locally on z/OS, all of the Java processing is zAAP eligible, which is especially helpful if running Websphere on z/OS. Its also easy to create applications that connect remotely to DB2 for z/OS, making that DB2 work zIIP eligible.

So if you have an application that is using, or considering a traditional 3GL language and running natively, pureQuery is a rapid-development tool for creating a Data Access layer that can automatically use statically SQL, and get you into these execution modes that can exploit the specialty processors.

Regards,
    Bill
    • bardo
      bardo
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-01-25T15:43:41Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Bill,

Thanks for your response. I just had an additional question.

We are accessing Z using an ORM (Hibernate). It was my understanding that using pureQuery to capture the sql in client mode would make it zIIP eligible. Is this a true statement?

Thanks!
      bardo
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        90 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-01-25T22:40:15Z  in response to bardo
        Hi Bardo,
        I might not know enough about the Hibernate implementation or your configuration, but I would think that the SQL should be zIIP-eligible even without pureQuery capture. Do you have the Hibernate application running on a distributed platform (Linux/Unix/Windows), connecting remotely to DB2 for z/OS? If so, it should qualify by coming through the remote interface.

If you are instead running locally on z/OS, using a Type 2 Connection, then your SQL might not be eligible - depending on your DB2 release and maintenance level. I believe that changes were made somewhat recently in DB2 to make some of that work eligible as well.

If I understand why the application is not currently zIIP eligible, then I can better answer how pureQuery might make it easier to get past that. But it really depends mostly on how Hibernate connects to DB2. Is there anything else unique about the configuration? For example heavy use of stored procedures?

Regards,
        Bill