Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-01-31T06:29:41Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
3659 Posts

Pinned topic Does RoseRT Target RTS support running of Dynamic threads?

‏2012-01-20T11:14:32Z |
Hi,
I have configured the Target RTS of RoseRT (version 7.0.0.0 ) to run on a power PC with the help of an embedded OS lynx (version 4.0.0) (the lYNX OS uses gcc version 2.95.3 ).
I could able to run my model if the model contains any states ,triggers and timers .I mean i could see the output being displayed on the Power PC .But,if my model conatins any dynamic threads or UDP ports or TCP ports the output on the power pc shows a segmentation fault .
My doubt here is ,is the fault in the configured Target RTS ? (NOTE : I choosed Minimal and the target observability is disabled)
Updated on 2012-01-31T06:29:41Z at 2012-01-31T06:29:41Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3659 Posts

Re: Does RoseRT Target RTS support running of Dynamic threads?

‏2012-01-27T05:17:31Z  
    Ok Let me be more clear with my question ,
    Is the Configured Target RTS the culprit if i could run certain category of models only.I mean if i have a model with states,triggers and timers then the output was successfully print .But, if use dynamic threads or UDP or TCP ports then the output gives me segmentation faul.(see the text file)
    I mean ,i would like to know how far is Target RTS responsible for this?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3659 Posts

‏2012-01-27T17:36:02Z  
    Ok Let me be more clear with my question ,
    Is the Configured Target RTS the culprit if i could run certain category of models only.I mean if i have a model with states,triggers and timers then the output was successfully print .But, if use dynamic threads or UDP or TCP ports then the output gives me segmentation faul.(see the text file)
    I mean ,i would like to know how far is Target RTS responsible for this?
    Hi Chandra,

It's difficult to say without knowing much about your model! Did you look at the core dump for some hints? It looks as if you have defined your own capsules to handle UDP messages - is that the case? Are you properly marshaling your message data if that is the case (it's a common source of error when translating an external message into an internal one)?

BTW, if you are sending/receiving external messages, are you using one of the example patterns that is shipped with the tool?

I don't want to dismiss a potential issue with the TargetRTS, but it has been used in its current form for a large number of years and the last time I have seen a bug in that code was in 2006...

/- Charles Rivet - Telecommunications Industry Offering Manager - IBM Rational
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3659 Posts

‏2012-01-30T08:25:25Z  
    Hi Chandra,

It's difficult to say without knowing much about your model! Did you look at the core dump for some hints? It looks as if you have defined your own capsules to handle UDP messages - is that the case? Are you properly marshaling your message data if that is the case (it's a common source of error when translating an external message into an internal one)?

BTW, if you are sending/receiving external messages, are you using one of the example patterns that is shipped with the tool?

I don't want to dismiss a potential issue with the TargetRTS, but it has been used in its current form for a large number of years and the last time I have seen a bug in that code was in 2006...

Hi charles,
    Thank you very much on your reply.
    I do understand that it is difficult that without knowing much about the model ,it is difficult to figure out where the error is ?
    I don't know much about the model ,but one thing i can tell you is explicitly defined capsule was used for UDP(i did see that)messages
    I only had to configure the embedded OS (LYNX OS 4) and have used the target base of the previous version of it(LYNX 0S 3) and configured it .
    I disabled the target observability and chosed the minimal option in the configuration settings window of the Target RTS.Ofcourse, i did set the appropriate compiler flags as well.

I mean to say if the issue is with the Target RTS ,i would fall helpless :(
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3659 Posts

‏2012-01-30T14:55:13Z  
    Hi charles,
    Thank you very much on your reply.
    I do understand that it is difficult that without knowing much about the model ,it is difficult to figure out where the error is ?
    I don't know much about the model ,but one thing i can tell you is explicitly defined capsule was used for UDP(i did see that)messages
    I only had to configure the embedded OS (LYNX OS 4) and have used the target base of the previous version of it(LYNX 0S 3) and configured it .
    I disabled the target observability and chosed the minimal option in the configuration settings window of the Target RTS.Ofcourse, i did set the appropriate compiler flags as well.

I mean to say if the issue is with the Target RTS ,i would fall helpless :(
    Hi Chandra,

Yes, it can be difficult to see where the error is, especially on an embedded target...

The error seems to be occurring during the reception of a UDP message (assuming UDPInt is the interrupt processing capsule here), and that is why I suggested looking at the message that was sent and at the marshaling/demarshaling code you may have (sending the output to a logging port if one is available for your system).

You mention that you are targeting this at LynxOS 4. Do you have a version that works correctly on a development system (Windows/Linux/Solaris) in the same minimal configuration?

Did you also validate your LynxOS port using one do the demo applications shipped with RoseRT?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3659 Posts

‏2012-01-31T06:29:41Z  
    Hi Chandra,

Yes, it can be difficult to see where the error is, especially on an embedded target...

The error seems to be occurring during the reception of a UDP message (assuming UDPInt is the interrupt processing capsule here), and that is why I suggested looking at the message that was sent and at the marshaling/demarshaling code you may have (sending the output to a logging port if one is available for your system).

You mention that you are targeting this at LynxOS 4. Do you have a version that works correctly on a development system (Windows/Linux/Solaris) in the same minimal configuration?

Did you also validate your LynxOS port using one do the demo applications shipped with RoseRT?
    Hi charles,
    I only could execute a model with a timers ,triggers and states. This really run successfully.

Talking about a different version ,yes i need to check with an older version which is configured with Target RTS.

Here i am uploading a text file which is a build error when the same model is build on LYNX OS version 5 .And looking at the error i feel that its the compiler (*gcc version 3.4.3 is used on LYNX os version 5*)
    issue here ,in not allowing UDP capsule getting complied .Previously i was talking about the same model run on LYNX OS version 4 (*gcc version 2.95 on lynx os version 4*)
    ,where i had problem with the same udp capsule at run time (*shown in the text file which i attached previously*)

So, i feel Target RTS may not be the reason for this ? i suppose ...