Topic
  • 15 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-11-03T15:27:14Z by PedroBelo
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
45 Posts

Pinned topic Welcome to WebSphere Application Server Performance Tuning Toolkit forum!

‏2012-01-19T13:37:07Z |
Welcome to WebSphere Application Server Performance Tuning Toolkit forum!
Updated on 2012-10-15T22:44:05Z at 2012-10-15T22:44:05Z by Shishir
  • GHWG_MCA21_Support
    GHWG_MCA21_Support
    1 Post

Re: Welcome to WebSphere Application Server Performance Tuning Toolkit forum!

‏2012-05-07T09:12:13Z  
    Hi,

We have used WAS Perf tuning toolkit,and found it to be very useful.
    We like to know ,can we use correlation id to track the request flow between two layers in application. The alert could be generated for the rollback in which layer has happened
  • gvarma
    gvarma
    1 Post

‏2012-05-08T11:06:04Z  
    I tried PTT and its just awesome. We would like to know the overhead level to the servers when PTT is active and gathering data? Will there be a significant overhead to the server? Also, can we customize the aleart rule to send email/sms when any threshold is breached?

GVARMA
  • Shishir
    Shishir
    28 Posts

‏2012-06-06T00:17:49Z  
    • gvarma
    • ‏2012-05-08T11:06:04Z
    I tried PTT and its just awesome. We would like to know the overhead level to the servers when PTT is active and gathering data? Will there be a significant overhead to the server? Also, can we customize the aleart rule to send email/sms when any threshold is breached?

GVARMA
    Sorry for the delayed response.

PTT should be run on the desktop but it relies on WAS PMI feature for the data. The overhead for PMI is about 3%. See this technote ( http://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21206317 )

PTT is supposed to be used for performance tuning and not for system management/activity monitoring. This is the reason email/sms alerts have not been built into it.
  • Shishir
    Shishir
    28 Posts

‏2012-06-06T00:21:50Z  
    Hi,

We like to know ,can we use correlation id to track the request flow between two layers in application. The alert could be generated for the rollback in which layer has happened

PTT uses WAS PMI data to help the users tune WAS configurations and it doesnt use any application data, eg correlation id.
    Can you please explain more about your idea/expectation?
  • Shishir
    Shishir
    28 Posts

‏2012-06-06T00:22:33Z  
    Hi,

PTT uses WAS PMI data to help the users tune WAS configurations and it doesnt use any application data, eg correlation id.
    Can you please explain more about your idea/expectation?
  • PedroBelo
    PedroBelo
    2 Posts

‏2012-06-21T15:36:51Z  
    Hi all, is this tool free? Any licencing need?
  • Shishir
    Shishir
    28 Posts

‏2012-07-10T12:45:28Z  
    • PedroBelo
    • ‏2012-06-21T15:36:51Z
    Hi all, is this tool free? Any licencing need?
    It is free.
    You need to accept the license agreement before you download.
  • Neville
    Neville
    1 Post

‏2012-08-31T05:45:55Z  
    Fantastic tool, thanks.
  • JNFV_Gareth_Anderson
    1 Post

‏2012-09-14T01:55:41Z  
    • Neville
    • ‏2012-08-31T05:45:55Z
    Fantastic tool, thanks.
    I just wanted to say this is one of the most useful tools I have found for investigating WebSphere Application Server performance issues.

If only I could have it run as a monitoring server, I'd use it as my monitoring tool as well :)
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    45 Posts

WAS dynacache data-metrics

‏2012-10-09T08:18:57Z  
    Hello,
    WAS PTT is the missing tool we were waiting for many years as a replacement for Tivoli Performance Viewer (WAS embedded) which is a very unpleasant and unfriendly tool.
    This tool is a a huge leap forward that will help us, in our day to day work, to investigate performance problems and tunes our customers WAS platforms (eg: during stress test loads)

Question:
    -1- Is there a plan to integrate WAS dynacache data-metrics in WAS PTT ? We are hosting WebSphere Commerce websites and dynacache performances is a very important component to tune in loaded Commerce websites environements ... (datas like inMemoryCachedDatas, disksCachedData, MemoryCadheHits, DiskCacheHits ........ )

Most generally It will be very usefull to find information like the ones that appears in the Cache Monitor application as we know the PMI can collect DynaCache data.

-2- Is there a plan that could permit to export the graphical views.

Thank you.
  • Shishir
    Shishir
    28 Posts

Re: WAS dynacache data-metrics

‏2012-10-15T22:44:05Z  
    Hello,
    WAS PTT is the missing tool we were waiting for many years as a replacement for Tivoli Performance Viewer (WAS embedded) which is a very unpleasant and unfriendly tool.
    This tool is a a huge leap forward that will help us, in our day to day work, to investigate performance problems and tunes our customers WAS platforms (eg: during stress test loads)

Question:
    -1- Is there a plan to integrate WAS dynacache data-metrics in WAS PTT ? We are hosting WebSphere Commerce websites and dynacache performances is a very important component to tune in loaded Commerce websites environements ... (datas like inMemoryCachedDatas, disksCachedData, MemoryCadheHits, DiskCacheHits ........ )

Most generally It will be very usefull to find information like the ones that appears in the Cache Monitor application as we know the PMI can collect DynaCache data.

-2- Is there a plan that could permit to export the graphical views.

Thank you.
    Hi Stephane
    Thanks for the feedback.
    1. We are working on adding new features in PTT so that it would be easier to support other WAS based products too.
    2. Export is also on our improvement list

We dont have any timeline, but will surely keep the forum updated.

Thanks
    Shishir
  • Prasadpete
    Prasadpete
    1 Post

‏2013-04-29T14:33:43Z  
    • Shishir
    • ‏2012-10-15T22:44:05Z
    Hi Stephane
    Thanks for the feedback.
    1. We are working on adding new features in PTT so that it would be easier to support other WAS based products too.
    2. Export is also on our improvement list

We dont have any timeline, but will surely keep the forum updated.

Thanks
    Shishir

Hello Shishir,

I have downloaded the tool and extracted it in my linux machine. Could you please tell me how to open the tool ? will appreciate the explicit commands ...

• Shishir
    Shishir
    28 Posts

‏2013-04-29T18:15:47Z  

Hello Shishir,

I have downloaded the tool and extracted it in my linux machine. Could you please tell me how to open the tool ? will appreciate the explicit commands ...

Hi

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=459606&tstart=0

Please check the PTT forum, esp the PTT Frequently Asked Questions

Shishir Narain

• Rcarvajal
    Rcarvajal
    1 Post

‏2013-07-22T20:10:43Z  

Hi,

Does the PTT causes some workload to application server? and How many application servers is advisable to monitor at the same time?

Regards

Ricardo

• PedroBelo
    PedroBelo
    2 Posts

‏2014-11-03T15:27:14Z  

Hi,

We have a 2 node clustered environment. Each node as it's proxy server. In PTT we found high Response Time and high App Server Response time. As the proxy servers are on the same node/machine as the app servers what can explain these high values, any idea?

Regards

Pedro Belo