Topic
  • 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-01-23T11:34:47Z by kevmeist
kevmeist
kevmeist
249 Posts

Pinned topic Windows profile space usage with CICS Explorer (and CICS PA)

‏2012-01-17T14:21:31Z |
Is there a way of "moving" where CICS Explorer and CICS PA stores data (search queries etc). I see from Windows complaining about profile space getting low that CICS Explorer (and CICS PA) store quite a lot of stuff in:

C:\documents and settings\username\.cicsexplorer etc, etc

This is the path that Windows checks (I believe) for profile space being usage.

Our PC Support folks allocate 75Mb as this profile space. It would be good if there was a way of putting this somewhere not subject to Windows profile space allocation.

Kevin
Updated on 2012-01-23T11:34:47Z at 2012-01-23T11:34:47Z by kevmeist
  • HBruchey
    HBruchey
    43 Posts

Re: Windows profile space usage with CICS Explorer (and CICS PA)

‏2012-01-17T15:56:53Z  
    There is a wonderful blog written by Joe Winchester at:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/JoeWinchester/?lang=en

In his Oct 6, 2011 entry he provides some very useful information regarding workspaces which may be of some assistance.
  • nickpb
    nickpb
    20 Posts

‏2012-01-17T15:57:58Z  
    Hi Kevin,
    If you start CICS Explorer from a command line, you can use the -data tag to use a different workspace location, for example: typing cicsexplorer.exe -data "C:\my workspaces\workspace1" would create the workspace workspace1 in the directory C:\my workspaces

You can also use the -data tag in a shortcut to save you entering the command every time you start CICS Explorer (CICS Explorer currently defaults to use the .cicsexplorer if you don't use the -data tag).

We are currently looking at other ways of choosing a different workspace so might have other options at some time in the future.

I hope this helps?

Best regards,

Nick Bishop
  • kevmeist
    kevmeist
    249 Posts

‏2012-01-17T16:41:22Z  
    • nickpb
    • ‏2012-01-17T15:57:58Z
    Hi Kevin,
    If you start CICS Explorer from a command line, you can use the -data tag to use a different workspace location, for example: typing cicsexplorer.exe -data "C:\my workspaces\workspace1" would create the workspace workspace1 in the directory C:\my workspaces

You can also use the -data tag in a shortcut to save you entering the command every time you start CICS Explorer (CICS Explorer currently defaults to use the .cicsexplorer if you don't use the -data tag).

We are currently looking at other ways of choosing a different workspace so might have other options at some time in the future.

I hope this helps?

Best regards,

Nick Bishop
    Hi Nick,

I guess I am a little confused. I assume that the workspace that you refer to is the one at:

C:\documents and settings\username etc?

We have RD/z here also, so "workspace" is a little overused.

If what you say will allow CICS Explorer (and the PA plugin used within Explorer) to put saved searches etc (PA) and other CICS EXplorer OUT of the path above, then that should work as the profiles should not get larger and larger as we use Explorer and PA more.

Can I copy the existing .cicsexplorer folders from the path above to the new location? or will that get the products really confused?

Regards,

Kevin
  • nickpb
    nickpb
    20 Posts

‏2012-01-18T07:41:24Z  
    • kevmeist
    • ‏2012-01-17T16:41:22Z
    Hi Nick,

I guess I am a little confused. I assume that the workspace that you refer to is the one at:

C:\documents and settings\username etc?

We have RD/z here also, so "workspace" is a little overused.

If what you say will allow CICS Explorer (and the PA plugin used within Explorer) to put saved searches etc (PA) and other CICS EXplorer OUT of the path above, then that should work as the profiles should not get larger and larger as we use Explorer and PA more.

Can I copy the existing .cicsexplorer folders from the path above to the new location? or will that get the products really confused?

Regards,

Kevin
    Hi Kevin,
    Sorry, I should have been more descriptive - let me start again.

When you start CICS Explorer, you might configure it by creating a couple of connections, installing the PA plug-in, opening some views for resources not on the default perspective, possibly move some views around, and maybe customize the columns for some views to get additional attributes. The CICS Explorer stores this 'configuration' information in what is known in Eclipse terms as a workspace so that it can remember it for the next time CICS Explorer starts.

CICS Explorer out of the box use the workspace at C:\Documents and Settings\username\.cicsexplorer (or ~/.cicsexplorer2 if you are using Linux). However you can decide to use a different workspace location as I explained in my previous post. This workspace is used only by CICS Explorer and any installed CICS Tools plug-ins. RD/z will have its own workspace.

Can you copy existing configuration information to the new path? Well yes, and no. I have done this a few times and most of the times it works OK. Occasionally it has gone wrong and it can be messy, so it is not advised.

There is an alternative way of copying the workspace, as Heather pointed out in her reply. I suggest you read the Workspace section in Joe's blog at https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/JoeWinchester/?lang=en before deciding how to move your workspace. If you still have questions after reading the blog, please get back to me, but I hope that will help you.

Best regards,

Nick
  • kevmeist
    kevmeist
    249 Posts

‏2012-01-18T10:49:16Z  
    • nickpb
    • ‏2012-01-18T07:41:24Z
    Hi Kevin,
    Sorry, I should have been more descriptive - let me start again.

When you start CICS Explorer, you might configure it by creating a couple of connections, installing the PA plug-in, opening some views for resources not on the default perspective, possibly move some views around, and maybe customize the columns for some views to get additional attributes. The CICS Explorer stores this 'configuration' information in what is known in Eclipse terms as a workspace so that it can remember it for the next time CICS Explorer starts.

CICS Explorer out of the box use the workspace at C:\Documents and Settings\username\.cicsexplorer (or ~/.cicsexplorer2 if you are using Linux). However you can decide to use a different workspace location as I explained in my previous post. This workspace is used only by CICS Explorer and any installed CICS Tools plug-ins. RD/z will have its own workspace.

Can you copy existing configuration information to the new path? Well yes, and no. I have done this a few times and most of the times it works OK. Occasionally it has gone wrong and it can be messy, so it is not advised.

There is an alternative way of copying the workspace, as Heather pointed out in her reply. I suggest you read the Workspace section in Joe's blog at https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/JoeWinchester/?lang=en before deciding how to move your workspace. If you still have questions after reading the blog, please get back to me, but I hope that will help you.

Best regards,

Nick
    Hi Nick,

Yes, I have Joe's blog entry on my list of things to read. Too much to do, too little time.

Thanks for your explanation...hopefully this helps others also.

Regards,

Kevin
  • kevmeist
    kevmeist
    249 Posts

‏2012-01-18T11:34:16Z  
    • kevmeist
    • ‏2012-01-18T10:49:16Z
    Hi Nick,

Yes, I have Joe's blog entry on my list of things to read. Too much to do, too little time.

Thanks for your explanation...hopefully this helps others also.

Regards,

Kevin
    OK, so I have read up to the part in Joe's blog where I added the Export capabilities for the workspace stuff. Currently, we (everyone) invokes the Explorer from a network share and the workspace is in the default location (docs and settings etc). I have added the export and see it showing in the Project Explorer view when I right click.

So, if I wanted to "move" my workspace from its default location, I should do these in the order below?

1. Export my workspace to somewhere else.
    2. Exit Explorer.
    3. Change the Explorer shortcut to point to the somewhere else in 1 above.
    4. Import the workspace (now into the "new" location).

Regards,

Kevin
  • kevmeist
    kevmeist
    249 Posts

‏2012-01-18T12:28:04Z  
    • kevmeist
    • ‏2012-01-18T11:34:16Z
    OK, so I have read up to the part in Joe's blog where I added the Export capabilities for the workspace stuff. Currently, we (everyone) invokes the Explorer from a network share and the workspace is in the default location (docs and settings etc). I have added the export and see it showing in the Project Explorer view when I right click.

So, if I wanted to "move" my workspace from its default location, I should do these in the order below?

2. Exit Explorer.

Regards,

Kevin
    BTW, reading Joe's blog about MQ Explorer.....I've tangled with MS0T before. Using the MQ Explorer seems to involve either installing Exlipse or modifying the registry...neither of which I can do here (the PCs are pretty much locked down due to security requirements). So, from my perspective, I cannot install the MQ Explorer without going through reams of paperwork etc. Kinda od a PITA, but there it is.

It would be nice if the MQ Explorer plugin could work the same way the the PA plugin does (without installong Eclipse or modifying the registry).

Kevin
  • nickpb
    nickpb
    20 Posts

‏2012-01-18T14:45:15Z  
    • kevmeist
    • ‏2012-01-18T11:34:16Z

2. Exit Explorer.

Regards,

Kevin
    OK, it's a little more complicated that that (isn't everything nowadays?). I didn't realise how it worked as I have not tried it until now, so here goes:

What Joe has described (and you listed) will export/import all your connections and Explorer customisation/layout. It will not export/import any of your project information, such as queries, project files, etc. There is an additional set of steps to do that. When you next start CICS Explorer from your NEW workspace, perform the following steps:

1. In the Resource perspective, right-click in the Project Explorer view and click Import.
    2. Expand the General tab and click Existing Projects into Workspace. Click Next.
    3. Ensure that Select Root Directory is selected and click the Browse button.
    4. Navigate to your OLD workspace location and click OK. Any project folders are displayed in the view.
    5. Select all the projects you want to import.
    6. Select the Copy projects into workspace checkbox - if you don't select this, the projects will remain in the OLD workspace and the NEW workspace will contain a link to them (useful if you want to share them with other users)
    7. Click Finish. The projects (or links) are copied to the NEW workspace.

I hope this helps. Sorry I didn't say all this from the beginning, but I'm still learning how powerful Eclipse is, and how much I don't know! Joe is going to update his blog with the new instructions when he gets a chance.

Best regards,

Nick
  • JoeWinchester
    JoeWinchester
    32 Posts

‏2012-01-22T01:11:14Z  
    • kevmeist
    • ‏2012-01-18T12:28:04Z
    BTW, reading Joe's blog about MQ Explorer.....I've tangled with MS0T before. Using the MQ Explorer seems to involve either installing Exlipse or modifying the registry...neither of which I can do here (the PCs are pretty much locked down due to security requirements). So, from my perspective, I cannot install the MQ Explorer without going through reams of paperwork etc. Kinda od a PITA, but there it is.

It would be nice if the MQ Explorer plugin could work the same way the the PA plugin does (without installong Eclipse or modifying the registry).

Kevin
    Hi Kevin,

We made some improvements to how MQ Explorer co-exists with CICS Explorer, and other IBM products, in the 7.1 Explorer release. I wrote a blog entry to describe this - it's a lot easier than it used to be for 7.0 - there's no registry hacks or downloads of Eclipse installs you're not going to actually use - or copying of files around between folders.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/JoeWinchester/entry/mq_explorer_7_1_and_cics_explorer_making_them_work_together47?lang=en

Hopefully this is an improvement, there's still one niggly step which is adding the Java tooling to CICS Explorer, however this is actually a pretty cool thing to do even without needing to then go on and add the CICS Explorer.

Please let us know if there's anything missing or unclear, or further improvements that could be made,

Best regards,

Joe
  • kevmeist
    kevmeist
    249 Posts

‏2012-01-23T11:34:47Z  
    Hi Kevin,

We made some improvements to how MQ Explorer co-exists with CICS Explorer, and other IBM products, in the 7.1 Explorer release. I wrote a blog entry to describe this - it's a lot easier than it used to be for 7.0 - there's no registry hacks or downloads of Eclipse installs you're not going to actually use - or copying of files around between folders.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/JoeWinchester/entry/mq_explorer_7_1_and_cics_explorer_making_them_work_together47?lang=en

Hopefully this is an improvement, there's still one niggly step which is adding the Java tooling to CICS Explorer, however this is actually a pretty cool thing to do even without needing to then go on and add the CICS Explorer.

Please let us know if there's anything missing or unclear, or further improvements that could be made,

Best regards,

Joe
    OK, got that. It will take me a little while to get around to trying that again as I have to re-compile and test all of our communications code for z/OS 1.12 and CICS/TS 4.1 use 9z/OS is just being installed here although we are on CICS/TS 4.1).

Joe's writeup seems long (although probably as usual is very detailed). I'm hoping eventually for a "check box" somewhere that will allow selection of CICS Explorer and other plugins etc in much the same way that RD/z V8 "installs". I can always hope, right?

Regards,

Kevin