• 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2018-11-16T13:29:21Z by Ananda_Thimmappa
ernesttt
ernesttt
9 Posts

Pinned topic Email Notification Sender Address

‏2012-01-15T01:16:22Z |
Hi,

I just installed DS3.1 recently and configure Web Console for some automatic jobs. However, I found that the email notification is not always worked. Email notification works fine if I run the job manually through the Web Console in browser, but email notification does not work if the job run by schedule. I check the log file /opt/ibm/DSWC/logs/JobManagerLogger.0, it logged below message:

JobManagerLogger (694) Jan 14, 2012 1:01:55 AM ERROR Error in sendMessage() in sendNotification()
com.ibm.datatools.services.email.exception.EMailServiceException: EML37403E:
The notification was not sent.

Review the reason, take corrective action if possible, and try again.

Failed messages: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSendFailedException: 553 #5.1.8 Domain of sender address <Data_Studio@MyHostname.MyDomain> does not exist

Is there any way to change default domain of sender address?

Thanks and Regards,
Ernest
Updated on 2012-01-30T03:58:21Z at 2012-01-30T03:58:21Z by ernesttt
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1632 Posts

Re: Email Notification Sender Address

‏2012-01-16T00:19:30Z  
    Hi,
    Under the "Open" menu, there is a Services item. If you open that page, and select the "Email Service" from the grid, and then click on the "Configure" button, you can setup the email service. Can you enter the host name, port number and the credentials if user authetication is needed and try out a test email from that dialog. Once the test email works, you can click on the OK button to save the email configuration and then see if that works from the Job Manager as well since the Job Manager uses the email configuration parameters to send the notification.

Dimple
  • ernesttt
    ernesttt
    9 Posts

‏2012-01-19T01:09:50Z  
    Hi,
    Under the "Open" menu, there is a Services item. If you open that page, and select the "Email Service" from the grid, and then click on the "Configure" button, you can setup the email service. Can you enter the host name, port number and the credentials if user authetication is needed and try out a test email from that dialog. Once the test email works, you can click on the OK button to save the email configuration and then see if that works from the Job Manager as well since the Job Manager uses the email configuration parameters to send the notification.

Dimple
    Hi Dimple,

I can successfully test email notification through the test button you mentioned. But just don't know why it does not always work for notification of jobs. Any I tried remove the jobs and created again. Seems that the email notification works fine for few days. Anyway, thanks for your response.

Regards,
    Ernest
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1632 Posts

‏2012-01-20T17:55:20Z  
    • ernesttt
    • ‏2012-01-19T01:09:50Z
    Hi Dimple,

I can successfully test email notification through the test button you mentioned. But just don't know why it does not always work for notification of jobs. Any I tried remove the jobs and created again. Seems that the email notification works fine for few days. Anyway, thanks for your response.

Regards,
    Ernest
    Hi Ernest.

Open - Services - Email service - Configure

please make sure you check "User auth." checkbox. If your SMTP server requires authentication for sending out emails - you need to provide valid credentials, otherwise just type in dummy ones.
  • ernesttt
    ernesttt
    9 Posts

‏2012-01-21T07:01:25Z  
    Hi Ernest.

Open - Services - Email service - Configure

please make sure you check "User auth." checkbox. If your SMTP server requires authentication for sending out emails - you need to provide valid credentials, otherwise just type in dummy ones.
    Thanks for the reminder. It now works so far so good.

Ernest
  • ernesttt
    ernesttt
    9 Posts

‏2012-01-26T03:05:23Z  
    I found that the mail notification feature of Web Console is quite unstable. Initially I encountered this problem and posted my problem here. Then I tried reinstall web console and configure all jobs again. The mail notification worked fine for a week. However, yesterday I just restarted the web console. The mail notification does not work today. The error message in JobManagerLogger is same as before. Sending testing email in the Configure Email Service has no problem. I feel a bit depression on this product.

JobManagerLogger (199) Jan 26, 2012 10:58:47 AM ERROR Error in sendMessage() in sendNotification()

Failed messages: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSendFailedException: 553 #5.1.8 Domain of sender address <Data_Studio@MyHostname.MyDomain> does not exist

at com.ibm.datatools.services.email.core.impl.EMailServiceImpl.sendMessage(EMailServiceImpl.java:348)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:60)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:37)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:611)
    at org.springframework.osgi.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.doInvoke(ServiceInvoker.java:64)
    at org.springframework.osgi.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.invoke(ServiceInvoker.java:78)
    at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:171)
    at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.doProceed(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:131)
    at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.invoke(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:119)
    at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:171)
    at org.springframework.osgi.service.util.internal.aop.ServiceTCCLInterceptor.invoke(ServiceTCCLInterceptor.java:36)
    at org.springframework.osgi.service.importer.support.LocalBundleContextAdvice.invoke(LocalBundleContextAdvice.java:59)
    at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.doProceed(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:131)
    at org.springframework.aop.support.DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.invoke(DelegatingIntroductionInterceptor.java:119)
    at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:204)
    at $Proxy85.sendMessage(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.datatools.jobmanager.notification.NotificationJobExecEventListener.sendNotification(NotificationJobExecEventListener.java:149)
    at com.ibm.datatools.jobmanager.notification.NotificationJobExecEventListener.onJobExecution(NotificationJobExecEventListener.java:122)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:60)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:37)
    at org.springframework.osgi.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.doInvoke(ServiceInvoker.java:64)
    at org.springframework.osgi.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.invoke(ServiceInvoker.java:78)
    at org.springframework.osgi.service.util.internal.aop.ServiceTCCLInterceptor.invoke(ServiceTCCLInterceptor.java:36)
    at org.springframework.osgi.service.importer.support.LocalBundleContextAdvice.invoke(LocalBundleContextAdvice.java:59)
    at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:204)
    at $Proxy94.onJobExecution(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.datatools.jobmanager.execution.JobManagerBaseRunner.run(JobManagerBaseRunner.java:104)
    at com.ibm.datatools.sqwruntime.taskmgr.core.impl.TaskRunner.run(TaskRunner.java:54)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:736)
    Caused by: org.springframework.mail.MailSendException; nested exceptions (1) are:
    Failed message 1: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSendFailedException: 553 #5.1.8 Domain of sender address <Data_Studio@MyHostname.MyDomain> does not exist

at org.springframework.mail.javamail.JavaMailSenderImpl.doSend(JavaMailSenderImpl.java:422)
    at org.springframework.mail.javamail.JavaMailSenderImpl.send(JavaMailSenderImpl.java:342)
    at org.springframework.mail.javamail.JavaMailSenderImpl.send(JavaMailSenderImpl.java:338)
    at com.ibm.datatools.services.email.core.impl.EMailServiceImpl.sendMessage(EMailServiceImpl.java:322)
    ... 43 more
    Regards,
    Ernest
  • Sriram_Europa
    Sriram_Europa
    68 Posts

‏2012-01-26T04:40:43Z  
    • ernesttt
    • ‏2012-01-26T03:05:23Z
    I found that the mail notification feature of Web Console is quite unstable. Initially I encountered this problem and posted my problem here. Then I tried reinstall web console and configure all jobs again. The mail notification worked fine for a week. However, yesterday I just restarted the web console. The mail notification does not work today. The error message in JobManagerLogger is same as before. Sending testing email in the Configure Email Service has no problem. I feel a bit depression on this product.

JobManagerLogger (199) Jan 26, 2012 10:58:47 AM ERROR Error in sendMessage() in sendNotification()

at com.ibm.datatools.services.email.core.impl.EMailServiceImpl.sendMessage(EMailServiceImpl.java:348)
    at $Proxy85.sendMessage(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.datatools.jobmanager.notification.NotificationJobExecEventListener.sendNotification(NotificationJobExecEventListener.java:149)
    at com.ibm.datatools.jobmanager.notification.NotificationJobExecEventListener.onJobExecution(NotificationJobExecEventListener.java:122)
    at $Proxy94.onJobExecution(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.datatools.jobmanager.execution.JobManagerBaseRunner.run(JobManagerBaseRunner.java:104)
    at com.ibm.datatools.sqwruntime.taskmgr.core.impl.TaskRunner.run(TaskRunner.java:54)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:736)
    Caused by: org.springframework.mail.MailSendException; nested exceptions (1) are:
    Failed message 1: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSendFailedException: 553 #5.1.8 Domain of sender address <Data_Studio@MyHostname.MyDomain> does not exist

at org.springframework.mail.javamail.JavaMailSenderImpl.doSend(JavaMailSenderImpl.java:422)
    at org.springframework.mail.javamail.JavaMailSenderImpl.send(JavaMailSenderImpl.java:342)
    at org.springframework.mail.javamail.JavaMailSenderImpl.send(JavaMailSenderImpl.java:338)
    at com.ibm.datatools.services.email.core.impl.EMailServiceImpl.sendMessage(EMailServiceImpl.java:322)
    ... 43 more
    Regards,
    Ernest
    Hi it appears that there is an issue with retrieving your full host.domain name when sending out the notification email.

MyHostname.MyDomain indicates that most likely your system host/domain name is not setup properly. Possibly some dhcp dns assignment not working ok? It may also be that your SMTP server is smart enough to kick out bogus email sender addresses (though I am not really sure if its the SMTP server or the Java smtp calls that are used here)

The reason why the test email works is because the sender address is specifically requested in the test page - but in the alert notification, it uses the full host name when it generates the email message.

If you are unable to set the host and domain information in your system reliably, there is another option - you should be able to set the host name in the Config/dswebserver.properties file to either a host or an ipaddress or even something acceptable such as "localhost".

for example
    host=192.168.0.10

Can you see if this works ok ?
  • ernesttt
    ernesttt
    9 Posts

‏2012-01-30T03:58:21Z  
    Hi it appears that there is an issue with retrieving your full host.domain name when sending out the notification email.

MyHostname.MyDomain indicates that most likely your system host/domain name is not setup properly. Possibly some dhcp dns assignment not working ok? It may also be that your SMTP server is smart enough to kick out bogus email sender addresses (though I am not really sure if its the SMTP server or the Java smtp calls that are used here)

The reason why the test email works is because the sender address is specifically requested in the test page - but in the alert notification, it uses the full host name when it generates the email message.

If you are unable to set the host and domain information in your system reliably, there is another option - you should be able to set the host name in the Config/dswebserver.properties file to either a host or an ipaddress or even something acceptable such as "localhost".

for example
    host=192.168.0.10

Can you see if this works ok ?
    Hi, thanks for your prompt response.

I followed your suggestion. Firstly I added an entry host=localhost to Config/dswebserver.properties, problem persists. Then I changed it to host=MyDomain, it works. I planned to give up the job manager function but now I can utilize it again. Thanks a lot!

Hopefully there will be a fix for this issue very soon. As I mentioned before, the email notification worked fine during the first week after initial installation of DSWC. It failed only after I restarted DSWC. And the email notification for alert has no problem through out the period. Seems that this email notification issue is for Job Manager only.

Thanks for Regards,
    Ernest
  • Ananda_Thimmappa
    Ananda_Thimmappa
    5 Posts

‏2018-11-16T13:29:21Z  

Hi System Admin, 

I am getting below error while sending mail from Data server manager. Please look into this issue. 

DS_System       (590778)        Nov 16, 2018 8:21:36 AM ERROR    Email Controller-Error in EmailConfigurer.sendMessage()

javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: smtp.outlook365.com, port: 587;
      nested exception is:
            java.net.ConnectException: A remote host did not respond within the timeout period. (Connection timed out)
            at com.ibm.datatools.services.email.core.impl.EMailServiceImpl.sendMessage(EMailServiceImpl.java:480)
            at com.ibm.datatools.config.web.email.EmailController.sendTestEmailMessage(EmailController.java:490)
            at com.ibm.datatools.config.web.email.EmailController.handleRequest(EmailController.java:199)
            at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.SimpleControllerHandlerAdapter.handle(SimpleControllerHandlerAdapter.java:50)
            at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:967)
            at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:901)
            at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:970)
            at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doPost(FrameworkServlet.java:872)
            at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:707)
            at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.service(FrameworkServlet.java:846)
            at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:790)

Thanks and Regards,

Ananda T 

Attachments