Topic
  • 12 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-03-13T10:41:06Z by UniversityAnalyst
UniversityAnalyst
UniversityAnalyst
7 Posts

Pinned topic Titles Not Appearing in Export

‏2012-01-11T15:20:33Z |
I've written a macro in SPSS syntax but which exports files to pdf. Whilst my titles (syntax simply:TITLE) appear in the output when they are generated, when I export my output to a pdf they disappear? I tried changing the export settings to export 'All' rather than 'visible' but they still didn't appear even then? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    445 Posts

Re: Titles Not Appearing in Export

‏2012-01-12T02:54:44Z  
    I tried this in V20 using the forthcoming fixpack, and the titles appeared properly in the pdf. There may have been a bugfix for this. You can contact Technical Support to see if there is a hot fix for this, but the fixpack will be coming along before too long. There were also some fixes for html export problems.
  • UniversityAnalyst
    UniversityAnalyst
    7 Posts

‏2012-01-12T11:56:16Z  
    I tried this in V20 using the forthcoming fixpack, and the titles appeared properly in the pdf. There may have been a bugfix for this. You can contact Technical Support to see if there is a hot fix for this, but the fixpack will be coming along before too long. There were also some fixes for html export problems.
    I'm using V18, is there some way of fixing this version?

Thanks
  • UniversityAnalyst
    UniversityAnalyst
    7 Posts

‏2012-01-12T12:13:57Z  
    I'm using V18, is there some way of fixing this version?

Thanks
    Just to add - weirdly, if I choose 'insert new title' in the output screen, it will actually appear in the pdf export?

Is there a work around if there's no fix for SPSS 18? I.e. is there another way I can insert text using syntax that will export correctly?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    445 Posts

‏2012-01-12T12:35:12Z  
    Just to add - weirdly, if I choose 'insert new title' in the output screen, it will actually appear in the pdf export?

Is there a work around if there's no fix for SPSS 18? I.e. is there another way I can insert text using syntax that will export correctly?
    I have not tried the title command in V18, so I don't know whether I would see a problem. For V18, you should make sure that you have its patches installed (contact Tech Support for access if you don't have these), i.e., 18.0.3. However that version is out of support now, so it is unlikely that a new patch would be done. One of the benefits of the IBM acquisition is that versions released since then are supported for a much longer time than was the SPSS practice.

Regards,
    Jon Peck
  • UniversityAnalyst
    UniversityAnalyst
    7 Posts

‏2012-03-06T14:29:21Z  
    I have not tried the title command in V18, so I don't know whether I would see a problem. For V18, you should make sure that you have its patches installed (contact Tech Support for access if you don't have these), i.e., 18.0.3. However that version is out of support now, so it is unlikely that a new patch would be done. One of the benefits of the IBM acquisition is that versions released since then are supported for a much longer time than was the SPSS practice.

Regards,
    Jon Peck
    Hi Jon,

We've got SPSS 20 now, which has resulted in the titles now appearing. I'm nearly sorted with this now but I have one last issue!

On the first page of my exported pdf I want to have the generic title, and then beneath that I would like the course name which is a macro variable. Obviously using title twice just gives me two pages with different titles - so I tried to use subtitle (as below).

TITLE 'Title'.
    SUBTITLE !var.

But for some reason, I get just the title on the first page, and then on a second page I get what I want on the first page which is the title with the subtitle beneath? I've tried just running the above syntax by itself as well, and it does it then too?

I don't understand! Thanks
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    445 Posts

‏2012-03-06T15:05:54Z  
    Hi Jon,

We've got SPSS 20 now, which has resulted in the titles now appearing. I'm nearly sorted with this now but I have one last issue!

On the first page of my exported pdf I want to have the generic title, and then beneath that I would like the course name which is a macro variable. Obviously using title twice just gives me two pages with different titles - so I tried to use subtitle (as below).

TITLE 'Title'.
    SUBTITLE !var.

But for some reason, I get just the title on the first page, and then on a second page I get what I want on the first page which is the title with the subtitle beneath? I've tried just running the above syntax by itself as well, and it does it then too?

I don't understand! Thanks
    If you run title and subtitle and look at what is in the Viewer, you will see that the title and subtitle are each preceded by a page break (indicated by the little << in front of the text). So your export produces the first page with the title, jumps to the next page, and then includes the title and the subtitle.

There are two ways to get around this. One is just to put the title and subtitle text together as a title bearing in mind the 60 character limit.

The second way is to use the Page Attributes dialog to set a multi-line header. This is treated as html, so it can even include markup such as <b>bold text.

Page Attributes are handled only via the dialog. There is no standard syntax for this. But the extension command STATS OUTPUT ATTRS allows you to do this via syntax. For example,
    {code?
    STATS OUTPUT ATTRS "my very finetitle" "my italic subtitle".
    would give you a title and a subtitle.

You might need fixpack1 for V20 if you use other features of this extension command.

The command is available from this site in the Extension Commands collection and requires the Python Essentials.

HTH,
    Jon Peck
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    445 Posts

‏2012-03-06T15:26:29Z  
    If you run title and subtitle and look at what is in the Viewer, you will see that the title and subtitle are each preceded by a page break (indicated by the little << in front of the text). So your export produces the first page with the title, jumps to the next page, and then includes the title and the subtitle.

There are two ways to get around this. One is just to put the title and subtitle text together as a title bearing in mind the 60 character limit.

The second way is to use the Page Attributes dialog to set a multi-line header. This is treated as html, so it can even include markup such as <b>bold text.

Page Attributes are handled only via the dialog. There is no standard syntax for this. But the extension command STATS OUTPUT ATTRS allows you to do this via syntax. For example,
    {code?
    STATS OUTPUT ATTRS "my very finetitle" "my italic subtitle".
    would give you a title and a subtitle.

You might need fixpack1 for V20 if you use other features of this extension command.

The command is available from this site in the Extension Commands collection and requires the Python Essentials.

HTH,
    Jon Peck
    Sorry, the code example was mangled. It should have read

STATS OUTPUT ATTRS 
    "my very <b>fine</b>title" 
    "my <i>italic</i> subtitle".

• UniversityAnalyst
    UniversityAnalyst
    7 Posts

‏2012-03-07T09:19:16Z  
    Sorry, the code example was mangled. It should have read
    <pre class="jive-pre"> STATS OUTPUT ATTRS "my very <b>fine</b>title" "my <i>italic</i> subtitle". </pre>
    Hi Jon,

The first option is unfortunately not possible as all of my combined titles and subtitles are well over 60 characters long. I have STATS OUTPUT ATTRS and have been using it to set the orientation in my pdf file.

However the syntax: STATS OUTPUT ATTRS "my very finetitle" "my italic subtitle".
    Which I just tried first off to test it simply gave me an error message of:

my very finetitle is not a valid keyword for the STATS OUTPUT ATTRS command.
    Execution of this command stops.

Many thanks
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    445 Posts

‏2012-03-07T13:16:07Z  
    Hi Jon,

The first option is unfortunately not possible as all of my combined titles and subtitles are well over 60 characters long. I have STATS OUTPUT ATTRS and have been using it to set the orientation in my pdf file.

However the syntax: STATS OUTPUT ATTRS "my very finetitle" "my italic subtitle".
    Which I just tried first off to test it simply gave me an error message of:

my very finetitle is not a valid keyword for the STATS OUTPUT ATTRS command.
    Execution of this command stops.

Many thanks
    Sorry, you need the keyword as in
    STATS OUTPUT ATTRS HEADER="the first line" "the second line"
  • UniversityAnalyst
    UniversityAnalyst
    7 Posts

‏2012-03-07T16:05:37Z  
    Sorry, you need the keyword as in
    STATS OUTPUT ATTRS HEADER="the first line" "the second line"
    Ah, unfortunately I am being extremely awkward and can't use headers as my page title on the first page is different to the second page and headers don't cater for this from the tests I've run so it has to be titles.

Am I asking the impossible?

Thanks
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    445 Posts

‏2012-03-07T16:37:49Z  
    Ah, unfortunately I am being extremely awkward and can't use headers as my page title on the first page is different to the second page and headers don't cater for this from the tests I've run so it has to be titles.

Am I asking the impossible?

Thanks
    I guess you could try using a TITLE command and then set the Header
  • UniversityAnalyst
    UniversityAnalyst
    7 Posts

‏2012-03-13T10:41:06Z  
    I guess you could try using a TITLE command and then set the Header
    That doesn't work unfortunately, the TITLE seems to overwrite the header.

I think I'll have to resign myself to doing something different...

Thanks for your help anyway!