Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-01-09T15:13:28Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
20 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic is virtual io required to do active memory sharing?

‏2012-01-06T21:47:22Z |
I read in the active memory sharing redbook of a requirement to have all virtualized IO (network and disk)in order to implement active memory sharing.

We want to implement shared memory but having to commit to changing existing production servers resources of all disk, network, memory, and processors to virtual at once is daunting. We would much prefer to do the processors and memory 1st and the io later. Is this possible? Has anyone done it this way? Can it be done?

If not, why must the network and disk virtualization be in place before implementing active memory sharing? I don't see the need for that. For example, we have other servers on P5 wtih no active memory sharing capability that are virtualized for processor and network only but not scei. And others that are virtual processor and scsi but not memory. Why would it have to be all-or-nothing in the active memory sharing config?

Any help much appreciated, ty!
Jennifer
Updated on 2012-01-09T15:13:28Z at 2012-01-09T15:13:28Z by SystemAdmin
  • pacynka
    pacynka
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: is virtual io required to do active memory sharing?

‏2012-01-07T19:54:32Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Unfortunately I don`t have practical expeprience in AMS but Redbook seems to explain it quite clearly:
    "... Note that when you switch from dedicated to shared you must not have any physical I/O devices configured. A pop-up windows with a warning messages will appear in this case. When you click Yes, all physicial I/O assignments will be removed" - so no, you can`t do cpu/mem first, IO later.

why only virtual IO?
    I believe it is caused by the way hypervisor assign memory pages - based on partition activity. Has to know if eg. higher memory requirement is only temporary issue or caused by increasing disk/network activity.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      20 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: is virtual io required to do active memory sharing?

‏2012-01-09T15:13:28Z  in response to pacynka
      Thanks, that's what it looked like to me too but I was hoping there was a way around it. Seems like the all-or-nothing approach would prevent a lot of groups from implementing it