• 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-11-05T20:42:53Z by bwa
BernardChatin
BernardChatin
1 Post

Pinned topic Error porting spring/maven from tomcat 7 to WAS8.5 Liberty Profile

‏2012-01-06T15:14:35Z |
Hello,

I run into run-time exceptions when testing in WAS 8.5.1LP a basic spring/maven application that currently works in Tomcat 7 : javax.servlet.ServletException: Filter CharacterEncodingFilter: could not be loaded

Java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.slf4j.spi.LocationAwareLogger.log(Lorg/slf4j/Marker;Ljava/lang/String;ILjava/lang/String;[Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Throwable;)V
at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SLF4JLocationAwareLog.debug(SLF4JLocationAwareLog.java:133)
at org.springframework.core.env.AbstractEnvironment.<init>(AbstractEnvironment.java:100)
at org.springframework.core.env.StandardEnvironment.<init>(StandardEnvironment.java:54)
at org.springframework.web.context.support.StandardServletEnvironment.<init>(StandardServletEnvironment.java:43)
at org.springframework.web.filter.GenericFilterBean.<init>(GenericFilterBean.java:94)
at org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.<init>(OncePerRequestFilter.java:40)
at org.springframework.web.filter.CharacterEncodingFilter.<init>(CharacterEncodingFilter.java:43)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:513)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:355)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:308)
at java.beans.Beans.instantiate(Beans.java:204)
at java.beans.Beans.instantiate(Beans.java:48)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterManager._loadFilter(WebAppFilterManager.java:524)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterManager.loadFilter(WebAppFilterManager.java:466)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterManager.getFilterInstanceWrapper(WebAppFilterManager.java:305)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterManager.getFilterChain(WebAppFilterManager.java:377)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterManager.doFilter(WebAppFilterManager.java:883)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterManager.invokeFilters(WebAppFilterManager.java:1016)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp.handleRequest(WebApp.java:3914)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebGroup.handleRequest(WebGroup.java:304)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.osgi.VirtualHost.handleRequest(VirtualHost.java:213)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.WebContainer.handleRequest(WebContainer.java:944)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.osgi.WebContainer$1.run(WebContainer.java:1022)
at com.ibm.ws.dispatcher.http.internal.channel.HttpDispatcherLink$TaskWrapper.run(HttpDispatcherLink.java:310)
at com.ibm.ws.threading.internal.Worker.executeWork(Worker.java:398)
at com.ibm.ws.threading.internal.Worker.run(Worker.java:380)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Seems that the issue is related to a conflict between jar versions of slf4j-simple-1.5.8.jar used by WAS and those embedded in my war archive slf4j-simple-1.6.2.jar (tomcat doesn't actually embedd those libs).

Do you know if there is a workaround on the server side to support those newer library versions or is it necessary to modify the web application to match WAS 8.5.1 LP embedded versions ?

Regards
Bernard

P.S : detailed ffdc traces are available if needed
  • XNF0_Duane_Appleby
    XNF0_Duane_Appleby
    3 Posts

Re: Error porting spring/maven from tomcat 7 to WAS8.5 Liberty Profile

‏2012-08-21T12:10:06Z  
    This sounds like a known problem which has a temporary workaround. Try setting an empty classloader element in the application element within your server.xml. For example:

<application id="my_app_id" name="my_app_name" type="war" location="my_app.war">
    <classloader/>
    </application>

This should enforce the correct classloading restrictions to take affect.
  • bwa
    bwa
    47 Posts

‏2012-10-29T11:50:57Z  
    This sounds like a known problem which has a temporary workaround. Try setting an empty classloader element in the application element within your server.xml. For example:

<application id="my_app_id" name="my_app_name" type="war" location="my_app.war">
    <classloader/>
    </application>

This should enforce the correct classloading restrictions to take affect.
    I also experiences this kind of error with a Spring 3.0.5 application, but the xml change did not work for me

<application id="tomcat-web" location="tomcat-web.war" name="tomcat-web" type="war">
    <classloader/>
    </application>

And still get :

Exception caught while initializing context: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org/slf4j/spi/LocationAwareLogger.log(Lorg/slf4j/Marker;Ljava/lang/String;ILjava/lang/String;[Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Throwable;)V
    at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SLF4JLocationAwareLog.info(SLF4JLocationAwareLog.java:159)
    at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.initWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:187)
    at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener.contextInitialized(ContextLoaderListener.java:47)

/bwa
  • bwa
    bwa
    47 Posts

‏2012-10-29T12:01:58Z  
    • bwa
    • ‏2012-10-29T11:50:57Z
    I also experiences this kind of error with a Spring 3.0.5 application, but the xml change did not work for me

<application id="tomcat-web" location="tomcat-web.war" name="tomcat-web" type="war">
    <classloader/>
    </application>

And still get :

Exception caught while initializing context: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org/slf4j/spi/LocationAwareLogger.log(Lorg/slf4j/Marker;Ljava/lang/String;ILjava/lang/String;[Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Throwable;)V
    at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SLF4JLocationAwareLog.info(SLF4JLocationAwareLog.java:159)
    at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.initWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:187)
    at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener.contextInitialized(ContextLoaderListener.java:47)

/bwa
    This did the job ....

<classloader delegation="parentLast"/>
    </application>
    /bwa
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    590 Posts

‏2012-11-02T15:37:55Z  
    • bwa
    • ‏2012-10-29T12:01:58Z
    This did the job ....

<classloader delegation="parentLast"/>
    </application>
    /bwa
    Hi,

When you updated the configuration originally to have a <classloader /> did you do a clean start of the server? Some classloader changes are, incorrectly, only picked up after a clean start of the server and I believe this might be one of them.

In any case we have released 8.5.0.1 which fixes the bug that your switch to parent last classloading was working around. If you could try again with 8.5.0.1 I would be interested to know if your application works without the classloader configuration.

Thanks
    Alasdair
  • bwa
    bwa
    47 Posts

‏2012-11-05T06:44:16Z  
    Hi,

When you updated the configuration originally to have a <classloader /> did you do a clean start of the server? Some classloader changes are, incorrectly, only picked up after a clean start of the server and I believe this might be one of them.

In any case we have released 8.5.0.1 which fixes the bug that your switch to parent last classloading was working around. If you could try again with 8.5.0.1 I would be interested to know if your application works without the classloader configuration.

Thanks
    Alasdair
    Are you talking about the refreshed next alpha ? or the initial next alpha ?

/bwa
  • bwa
    bwa
    47 Posts

‏2012-11-05T06:55:50Z  
    • bwa
    • ‏2012-11-05T06:44:16Z
    Are you talking about the refreshed next alpha ? or the initial next alpha ?

/bwa
    anyway, I deployed it on the initial next alpha, and here it worked without changing the classloader.

/bwa
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    590 Posts

‏2012-11-05T17:39:28Z  
    • bwa
    • ‏2012-11-05T06:55:50Z
    anyway, I deployed it on the initial next alpha, and here it worked without changing the classloader.

/bwa
    Hi,
    The fix is actually in both drivers - 8.5.0.1 (current GA release) and 8.5.next alpha. Thanks for confirming that this addresses the issue!
    Regards, Alex.
  • bwa
    bwa
    47 Posts

‏2012-11-05T20:42:53Z  
    Hi,
    The fix is actually in both drivers - 8.5.0.1 (current GA release) and 8.5.next alpha. Thanks for confirming that this addresses the issue!
    Regards, Alex.
    Updated my wlp-developer jar 8.5.0.0 to 8.5.0.1 and now the problem is gone here too ....

/bwa