Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-01-06T11:10:37Z by nickpb
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
270 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic CICS Explorer eclipse workspace

‏2012-01-04T08:01:18Z |
We are providing support and maintenance of CICS for more than one customer. I'm using The same installation of CICS Explorer for the different CICS environments located on different mainframes that belong to the different customers. I've created an eclipse workspace with specific connections for each customer.If i want to switch from one customer installation to another i have to shutdown eclipse and restart it with a different shortcut referring to another workspace. As a stop/start of eclipse can take some time, i think it would be nice if it would be possible to close the actual workspace and reopen a new workspace without the need to stop/start the CICS explorer. THis is something that is normally available in a normal eclipse development environment.
Updated on 2012-01-06T11:10:37Z at 2012-01-06T11:10:37Z by nickpb
  • nickpb
    nickpb
    20 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: CICS Explorer eclipse workspace

‏2012-01-05T07:53:00Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hello,
    Than you for using the forum to raise the question. It's very useful for us to find out how people are using the CICS Explorer. Unfortunately, in this case, we do not currently support multiple workspaces in the way that Eclipse does (by the way, even when Eclipse switches workspaces, Eclipse shuts down and restarts, however that is done automatically). As you have already found, you need to start CICS Explorer with the '-data' option to use different workspaces. We have been discussing this function with a view to possibly implementing it at some time in the future, so we would like to understand a bit more about the way you use the different workspaces in CICS Explorer.

You say that you have created 'an eclipse workspace with specific connections for each customer'. Is it just the connections that makes each workspace different? If so you might want to consider using the connections export and import function to import all your connections into one workspace. Then all you would have to do to switch to a different customer is to change the active connection. Details about the export import function are in the integrated help: Tasks > Working with system connections > Exporting and importing connections.

Another reason for using different workspaces for each customer might be that you have tailored each workspace to the different customer requirements - perhaps created new perspectives, moved columns around in views, etc. Is this perhaps the way you are working? If this is the case then you could always run more than one instance of CICS Explorer at the same time, with each one using a different workspace. Unfortunately there is a down side to running multiple CICS Explorers as each copy uses system resources and memory, so running too many can cause your computer to have performance issues.

If there is some other way you are using multiple workspaces, we'd really like to understand that as well, so please let us know what your particular usage is.

Best regards,

Nick Bishop
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      270 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-01-05T08:18:27Z  in response to nickpb
      Hallo,

the reason we are using CICS Explorer with different workspaces is indeed a matter of different connections for each customer we support, as you already mentioned in your reply and not because we use different customised perspectives for each of them. As it are different customers with different CICS environments we prefer to separate them logically. Our main customer has a cicsplex environment, the other one is a classical CICS environment without cicsplex.
      We could define all connections into the same workspace but we prefer to keep them apart. Some kind of explorer tree to order connections logically would also be a possible solution.
      I didnt use the import/export function of connections until now. I'll play with this possibility to see what apportunities it offers.

Regards,

Patrik Dries.
      • nickpb
        nickpb
        20 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-01-06T11:10:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hello Patrik,

Thanks for explaining how you use the different workspaces. One solution you might consider trying is to first ensure that all your connection names identify the customer, and are unique. For example:

Customer 1 Plex A
        Customer 1 Plex B
        Customer 2 Plex A
        etc

Then import all the different connections into CICS Explorer (when you import connections they get added to any that are already there, so they do not overwrite anything).

When you start CICS Explorer you can click the down arrow in the connection status bar (see the attached image). This shows a list of the connections you have defined and the connections for each customer should appear grouped together (the horizontal line in the list separates the different connection types - CICS Management Interface, CICSPlex SM Data Interface, etc.). The list is sorted in alphabetical order so by choosing suitable names, you can arrange to display the list pretty much how you want.

I hope this helps to make things easier for you. We really value all feedback and comments however we receive them, so please let us know if you have further questions or problems, and we'll do our best to help resolve them.

Best regards,

Nick Bishop