Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-05-25T08:35:50Z by ritchie_haert
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
39 Posts

Pinned topic installios via SDMC

‏2012-01-03T22:11:15Z |
I'm trying to deploy the second VIO server on a 740 but it seems to be failing during the BOS restore of VIO server 2.2.1.0.
Tue Jan 3 16:45:50 2012
-----------/var/log/nimol.log :---------------
2012-01-03T16:50:34.300759-05:00 ioserver nimol: ,info=BOS Install: Restore of Base Operating System from /NIM_BOS_IMAGE failed.

ioserver nimol: ,info=BOS Install: Restore of Base Operating System from /NIM_BOS_IMAGE failed.
I saw a post from an HMC user with this problem (from 2009) and someone responded that the VIO media must have a split mksysb image and that is what is crashing the installios.

Do I need to hack together a VIOS install image with a single mksysb file to get this to work right?
Updated on 2012-05-25T08:35:50Z at 2012-05-25T08:35:50Z by ritchie_haert
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    39 Posts

Re: installios via SDMC

‏2012-01-04T16:01:27Z  
    Hi Demian,

Your VIOS 2.2.1.0 that you are installing from, is that from a DVD media that comes with more than one volume? Can please run "lshmc -V" on your HMC and "head /usr/sbin/nimol_config" and post the outputs here? It could be that mksysb file is split across multiple VIOS media and this type of error "/NIM_BOS_IMAGE faied" is a result of restoring from an incomplete mksysb image file. If you can post the outputs from the HMC above, I can give you options to see if we can resolve the problem. It could be that the HMC might not have the support for installing from multi-volume VIOS media and the HMC may need to be updated.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    39 Posts

‏2012-01-04T16:57:24Z  
    Hi Demian,

Your VIOS 2.2.1.0 that you are installing from, is that from a DVD media that comes with more than one volume? Can please run "lshmc -V" on your HMC and "head /usr/sbin/nimol_config" and post the outputs here? It could be that mksysb file is split across multiple VIOS media and this type of error "/NIM_BOS_IMAGE faied" is a result of restoring from an incomplete mksysb image file. If you can post the outputs from the HMC above, I can give you options to see if we can resolve the problem. It could be that the HMC might not have the support for installing from multi-volume VIOS media and the HMC may need to be updated.
    Output of lshmc

sysadmin@sdmc1:~> lshmc -V
    "version= Version: 6
    Release: 730
    Service Pack: 1
    SDMC Build level 1.Fri Sep 23 10:28:24 CDT 2011
    PSM Build Level 20110929.1
    DPSM Build Level 20110929.1
    ","base_version=V6R730
    "

output of head /usr/sbin/nimol_config
    #!/bin/sh
    # IBM_PROLOG_BEGIN_TAG
    # This is an automatically generated prolog.
    #
    # nimol_rplx03a src/nimol/nimol_config.sh 1.24
    #
    # Licensed Materials - Property of IBM
    #
    # Restricted Materials of IBM
    #

The DVD media is a 2 volume set.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    39 Posts

‏2012-01-04T22:24:00Z  
    Output of lshmc

sysadmin@sdmc1:~> lshmc -V
    "version= Version: 6
    Release: 730
    Service Pack: 1
    SDMC Build level 1.Fri Sep 23 10:28:24 CDT 2011
    PSM Build Level 20110929.1
    DPSM Build Level 20110929.1
    ","base_version=V6R730
    "

output of head /usr/sbin/nimol_config
    #!/bin/sh
    # IBM_PROLOG_BEGIN_TAG
    # This is an automatically generated prolog.
    #
    # nimol_rplx03a src/nimol/nimol_config.sh 1.24
    #
    # Licensed Materials - Property of IBM
    #
    # Restricted Materials of IBM
    #

The DVD media is a 2 volume set.
    Hi Demian,

Sorry, but it seemed the version of SDMC that you have does not the support for supporting VIOS on multiple volume. Future release of SDMC will have the support for installing VIOS on multiple media. For the time being, the other options would be to merge the mksysb image, try doing a AIX NIM install, or installing straight from the media.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    39 Posts

‏2012-01-04T22:41:19Z  
    Thanks.
    I tried merging the image and creating an iso bit mkdvd didnt work correctly. I'm setting up a NIM server.
  • mmveiga
    mmveiga
    1 Post

‏2012-01-05T22:52:33Z  
    Thanks.
    I tried merging the image and creating an iso bit mkdvd didnt work correctly. I'm setting up a NIM server.
    Hi,
    A good source for you http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wikis/display/LinuxP/IBM+VIOS+Installation+over+NIM
    I used this document to setup the installation of VIOS from our NIM master .

Regards,
    Marcelo.
  • ritchie_haert
    ritchie_haert
    1 Post

‏2012-05-25T08:35:50Z  
    Hi demianPH,

maybe i can help you, I had the same Problem with the Message mount Volume 2
    The VIO 2.2.1.4 is distributed with 2 DVD Images. So go to the Second DVD, under /usr/sys/inst.images you find another file named mksysb_image, copy this to maybe mksysb_image3 to your NIM Server
    Join this file in the same way as your mksysb_image and mksysb_image2 Files to your own named install mksysb File and be happy, :-))) it works

for example
    cat mksysb_image mksysb_image2 mksysb_image2 > myown_vio_install_mksysb

Regards and have fun
    ritchie