Topic
  • 22 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-12-17T20:21:58Z by bwa
RChamarthy
RChamarthy
3 Posts

Pinned topic Unable to load properties file from shared library folder.

‏2012-01-03T10:56:29Z |
I created a shared library as follows, and copied a .properties file in the shared library location.
When I tried to load the properties from my application (basically a servlet) I am running to a FileNotFoundException. Any ideas on how to load the properties from Liberty Shared library.

<library id="AppSharedLibrary">
<fileset dir="${was.server.dir}/apps/lib" includes="*.jar"/>
<fileset dir="${was.server.dir}/apps/lib" includes="*.properties"/>
</library>

Also, I tried defining the shared library as follows, which neither worked.

<fileset dir="${was.server.dir}/apps/lib" includes="."/>
</library>

Thanks,
Ravi Chamarthy
  • RChamarthy
    RChamarthy
    3 Posts

Re: Unable to load properties file from shared library folder.

‏2012-01-03T10:58:57Z  
    Please read "star.star" as the includes in the second part of the library definition.
    For some reason, * did not appeared in the earlier post.
  • JoeChacko
    JoeChacko
    15 Posts

‏2012-01-03T11:51:02Z  
    Please read "star.star" as the includes in the second part of the library definition.
    For some reason, * did not appeared in the earlier post.
    Surrounding text with asterisks makes it bold. If you look carefully, you will see that the . inside the double quotes is in bold.
  • JoeChacko
    JoeChacko
    15 Posts

‏2012-01-03T12:20:31Z  
    Hi Ravi,

Sorry you are having a problem with this. Where does this classloader definition appear in your config?

In order for an application to see a shared library, the library must be defined or referenced from a classloader defined inside an application element.

This means that you cannot refer to shared libraries from auto-detected apps or from apps in dropins.

Please can you attach your entire config?
    --
    Joe Chacko
    WebSphere Application Server Liberty Profile development
  • RChamarthy
    RChamarthy
    3 Posts

‏2012-01-03T12:59:11Z  
    • JoeChacko
    • ‏2012-01-03T12:20:31Z
    Hi Ravi,

Sorry you are having a problem with this. Where does this classloader definition appear in your config?

In order for an application to see a shared library, the library must be defined or referenced from a classloader defined inside an application element.

This means that you cannot refer to shared libraries from auto-detected apps or from apps in dropins.

Please can you attach your entire config?
    --
    Joe Chacko
    WebSphere Application Server Liberty Profile development
    Hi Joe,

Attached the server.xml..

Thanks,
    Ravi Chamarthy
  • JoeChacko
    JoeChacko
    15 Posts

‏2012-01-04T11:26:57Z  
    Hi Joe,

Attached the server.xml..

Thanks,
    Ravi Chamarthy
    Ravi,
    Consider your two filesets:
    The second fileset results in a list of properties files that will be added to the classpath of the classloader. The classloader only knows about archives, so in order to access your properties files as resources, you will need to put them in a JAR file, with the appropriate directory structure. If that jar is in the lib folder, it should be picked up by the first fileset anyway, so you can simply remove the second fileset.

(Sorry, I shouldn't really have needed the context to work this out.)
    --
    Joe Chacko
    WebSphere Application Server Liberty Profile Development
  • cherelth@fr.ibm.com
    cherelth@fr.ibm.com
    2 Posts

‏2012-01-04T17:11:53Z  
    • JoeChacko
    • ‏2012-01-04T11:26:57Z
    Ravi,
    Consider your two filesets:
    The second fileset results in a list of properties files that will be added to the classpath of the classloader. The classloader only knows about archives, so in order to access your properties files as resources, you will need to put them in a JAR file, with the appropriate directory structure. If that jar is in the lib folder, it should be picked up by the first fileset anyway, so you can simply remove the second fileset.

(Sorry, I shouldn't really have needed the context to work this out.)
    --
    Joe Chacko
    WebSphere Application Server Liberty Profile Development
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for the confirmation (I am working with Ravi on the WAS Liberty support).
    Just to be sure, do you also agree that this is a behavior difference with traditional WAS?
    I know that you are trying to make the WAS Liberty profile as compatible as traditional WAS as possible and for sure, in traditional WAS, you can define a shared library by just referencing a folder and property files (or any other resources for that matter) located in that folder can be loaded through the classpath mechanism.

We are fine with the need to package our property files into a jar file for WAS Liberty (and it will also work with traditional WAS) but I just wanted to point out the different behavior between the two.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    590 Posts

‏2012-01-04T18:57:16Z  
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for the confirmation (I am working with Ravi on the WAS Liberty support).
    Just to be sure, do you also agree that this is a behavior difference with traditional WAS?
    I know that you are trying to make the WAS Liberty profile as compatible as traditional WAS as possible and for sure, in traditional WAS, you can define a shared library by just referencing a folder and property files (or any other resources for that matter) located in that folder can be loaded through the classpath mechanism.

We are fine with the need to package our property files into a jar file for WAS Liberty (and it will also work with traditional WAS) but I just wanted to point out the different behavior between the two.
    Hi,

For what it is worth: I can confirm what you state ("...Just to be sure, do you also agree that this is a behavior difference with traditional WAS?..."):

The shared library behavior in the WAS base family does not require developers to put resources inside JAR files in order for the classloader to find them. My team and I use (and rely on) that feature actively for one of the projects I participate in.

:-)

/Nicky
  • JoeChacko
    JoeChacko
    15 Posts

‏2012-01-04T20:56:54Z  
    Hi Joe,

Hi Thomas,

You are right. Folders on the classpath should work, but
    1) Ravi's fileset does not include any folders, only properties files.
    2) Even if it did, they aren't working in the beta - we have an open defect for this.

• Joe Chacko, Liberty Profile Development
  • JoeChacko
    JoeChacko
    15 Posts

‏2012-01-04T20:56:56Z  
    Hi Joe,

Hi Thomas,

2) Even if it did, they aren't working in the beta - we have an open defect for this.

• cherelth@fr.ibm.com
    cherelth@fr.ibm.com
    2 Posts

‏2012-01-04T21:07:51Z  
    • JoeChacko
    • ‏2012-01-04T20:56:56Z
    Hi Thomas,

Understood.
    Thanks for the confirmation. Good to know for us that it will eventually work.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    590 Posts

‏2012-02-27T17:44:04Z  
    • JoeChacko
    • ‏2012-01-04T20:56:54Z
    Hi Thomas,

Is there a way to vote for defect we would like to be fixed first?
    In my opinion, this is a major limitation, as it prevents loading code that depends on native libraries and forces duplicating configuration files by having to create a JAR out of it.
  • agunther
    agunther
    1 Post

‏2012-03-01T23:12:57Z  
    Is there a way to vote for defect we would like to be fixed first?
    In my opinion, this is a major limitation, as it prevents loading code that depends on native libraries and forces duplicating configuration files by having to create a JAR out of it.
    Bruno,

We actually hope to one day add a voting feature to the community. Thank you for sharing your vote for this defect. It help us prioritize. Consider your "vote" recorded.

Thanks!
    Adam Gunther
    Manager, IBM WebSphere Application Server Liberty Profile Development
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    590 Posts

‏2013-03-05T19:09:50Z  
    • agunther
    • ‏2012-03-01T23:12:57Z
    Bruno,

We actually hope to one day add a voting feature to the community. Thank you for sharing your vote for this defect. It help us prioritize. Consider your "vote" recorded.

Thanks!
    Adam Gunther
    Manager, IBM WebSphere Application Server Liberty Profile Development
    Hi!

I just ran into this same issue - so please consider this another vote to fix this issue with filesets :-).

Thank you!
  • RameshKarna
    RameshKarna
    1 Post

‏2013-10-31T20:49:25Z  

Hi,

Is this shared library issue is resolved? please post any alternate solution if issue not solved.

• Alasdair
    Alasdair
    55 Posts

‏2013-10-31T22:15:09Z  

Hi,

Is this shared library issue is resolved? please post any alternate solution if issue not solved.

Hi,

If you are using 8.5.5.0 or later then this issue is resolved with the addition of new configuration syntax. From the original example of:

</library>

to get the properties picked up you would configure this:

<folder dir="${was.server.dir}/apps/lib"> 
    </library>

The library will then load from the jar files in apps/lib and also load resources from apps/lib too.

I hope this answers your question
    Alasdair

• bwa
    bwa
    47 Posts

‏2013-12-16T12:55:35Z  
    • Alasdair
    • ‏2013-10-31T22:15:09Z

Hi,

If you are using 8.5.5.0 or later then this issue is resolved with the addition of new configuration syntax. From the original example of:

</library>

to get the properties picked up you would configure this:

<folder dir="${was.server.dir}/apps/lib"> 
    </library>

The library will then load from the jar files in apps/lib and also load resources from apps/lib too.

I hope this answers your question
    Alasdair

Hello, does this work for an application that looks for property files on classpath ? I have applications that searches the classpath for property files, and on WAS Fullprofile we set the classpath entry on the server. But I cannot find this option on Liberty.

How can I do this on Liberty ?

This does not work ....:

<library id="PropertiesLibrary">
    <folder dir="c:/some_property_folder"> 
    </library>

BTW, I'm installing apps from maven, so I do not have any <application> entry in the server.xml, so there is no way of referencing the global library ...

/bwa

• Alasdair
    Alasdair
    55 Posts

‏2013-12-16T21:28:21Z  
    • bwa
    • ‏2013-12-16T12:55:35Z

Hello, does this work for an application that looks for property files on classpath ? I have applications that searches the classpath for property files, and on WAS Fullprofile we set the classpath entry on the server. But I cannot find this option on Liberty.

How can I do this on Liberty ?

This does not work ....:

<library id="PropertiesLibrary">
    <folder dir="c:/some_property_folder"> 
    </library>

BTW, I'm installing apps from maven, so I do not have any <application> entry in the server.xml, so there is no way of referencing the global library ...

/bwa

When you say it doesn't work how exactly doesn't it work? Is that Library associated with your application? Is the properties file in that directory, or is it in a subdirectory?

Thanks

Alasdair

• bwa
    bwa
    47 Posts

‏2013-12-16T21:37:36Z  
    • Alasdair
    • ‏2013-12-16T21:28:21Z

When you say it doesn't work how exactly doesn't it work? Is that Library associated with your application? Is the properties file in that directory, or is it in a subdirectory?

Thanks

Alasdair

It doesn't work in the way that the application trying to load the propertyfile with the typical ResourceAsStream call for a  xxx.property does not find that file. In WAS Full profile we just add a classpath entry with the server, but have no found a way to do that in Liberty. The desired propertyfile to load is c:/some_property_folder/xxx.property

It's not assosiated with the application as there is no application entry in server.xml (due to install-apps with maven, dropins folder)

/bwa

• bwa
    bwa
    47 Posts

‏2013-12-16T21:47:21Z  
    • Alasdair
    • ‏2013-12-16T21:28:21Z

Thanks

Alasdair

What I want to achieve is to get this resolved

from the spring application context file 

<context:property-placeholder location="classpath:xxx.properties"/>

• Alasdair
    Alasdair
    55 Posts

‏2013-12-16T21:59:00Z  
    • bwa
    • ‏2013-12-16T21:47:21Z

Hi,

You need to associate the application with the shared library. You can't associate libraries with applications deployed via dropins. This gives you two choices:

1. Deploy the application in the apps folder and add to the server.xml a webApplication or enterpriseApplication entry depending on whether you are deploying a war or ear.
    2. Put your properties in the global shared library. Any properties files in the usr/shared/lib or usr/servers/<server dir>/lib will be visible to all applications.

The second is probably simpler, but it'll be exposed to all applications in the server which might not work too well for you.

I hope this helps
    Alasdair

• 5CK5
    5CK5
    6 Posts

‏2013-12-17T19:19:11Z  
    • bwa
    • ‏2013-12-16T21:47:21Z

You might want to vote for the following feature request - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=42819
    This would allow having resource provider that is capable of loading properties from whatever location. Then it can be easily used in Spring as well.

• bwa
    bwa
    47 Posts

‏2013-12-17T20:21:58Z  
    • 5CK5
    • ‏2013-12-17T19:19:11Z

You might want to vote for the following feature request - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=42819
    This would allow having resource provider that is capable of loading properties from whatever location. Then it can be easily used in Spring as well.

Great. Vote added ...