Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-09-24T09:21:49Z by Jacek_Laskowski
mgn2009
mgn2009
15 Posts

Pinned topic Problem with WebSphere Application Server Developer Tools for Eclipse

‏2012-01-02T10:32:36Z |
Hi,

I've installed:
IBM WebSphere Application Server v8.5 Liberty Profile Developer Tools Beta 1,
IBM WebSphere Application Server v8.5 Developer Tools Beta 1,
IBM WebSphere Application Server v8.0 Developer Tools Beta 1,
IBM WebSphere Application Server v7.0 Developer Tools Beta 1.
But I cannot see WAS servers in run-time environment preferences. There is only Liberty Profile available.

Should I perform any additional configuration, to add WAS 7, 8 and 8.5 to run-time and server views?

Best regards,
Martin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    590 Posts

Re: Problem with WebSphere Application Server Developer Tools for Eclipse

‏2012-01-09T19:26:54Z  
    Hi Martin,

Which version of Eclipse based you are using? Only the Liberty Profile is supported on Indigo (Eclipse 3.7.1). The WebSphere Application Server Tools for WAS v7, v8 and v8.5 only runs on Helios, i.e. Eclipse 3.6.2. Make sure you are using Helios if you want to use those server types.

Also, there are some configuration steps required after the installation. You can refer to the "Configuring the installation" section of this documentation for details:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/radhelp/v8r5/topic/com.ibm.rad.install.doc/topics/wdt_85_beta_install.html

See if that helps.

Regards,
    Elson
  • EstherY
    EstherY
    2 Posts

‏2012-02-01T19:41:18Z  
    Hi Martin,

Which version of Eclipse based you are using? Only the Liberty Profile is supported on Indigo (Eclipse 3.7.1). The WebSphere Application Server Tools for WAS v7, v8 and v8.5 only runs on Helios, i.e. Eclipse 3.6.2. Make sure you are using Helios if you want to use those server types.

Also, there are some configuration steps required after the installation. You can refer to the "Configuring the installation" section of this documentation for details:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/radhelp/v8r5/topic/com.ibm.rad.install.doc/topics/wdt_85_beta_install.html

See if that helps.

Regards,
    Elson
    Elson,

I am running Eclipse Indigo and have followed the instruction to add the -vm <WebSphere Application Server V8.0 or V7.0 installation directory>/java/jre/bin/java in the eclipse.ini file. It is all being asked to change. But I keep getting the IBM VM warning like this

"An attempt was made to use a WebSphere-specific function which is supported on the IBM JRE. Please use the IBM JRE from the product install image."

My JVM version in my windows XP is 1.6.0_30. The requirement for WAS 8 tool is 1.6.0_27 and above.

I got the same issue on Eclipse 3.6 with the 3.6 only WAS tool as well.

With this warning, when I start WAS v8 in Eclipse, the last output on the console is "XXX server open for e-business". The server status keep staying on "starting..." then the server boot timeout kicks in. The server status became "stopped". I am not able to stop the server either from Eclipse. I am setting the server start using generated script and run on workbench resource as same as it is done on Rational Application Developer.

The Rational Application Developer trial version is working fine to admin the same WAS server. So I believe the WAS installation is fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Esther
  • Roman@aformatik
    Roman@aformatik
    3 Posts

‏2012-02-02T10:12:29Z  
    • EstherY
    • ‏2012-02-01T19:41:18Z
    Elson,

I am running Eclipse Indigo and have followed the instruction to add the -vm <WebSphere Application Server V8.0 or V7.0 installation directory>/java/jre/bin/java in the eclipse.ini file. It is all being asked to change. But I keep getting the IBM VM warning like this

"An attempt was made to use a WebSphere-specific function which is supported on the IBM JRE. Please use the IBM JRE from the product install image."

My JVM version in my windows XP is 1.6.0_30. The requirement for WAS 8 tool is 1.6.0_27 and above.

I got the same issue on Eclipse 3.6 with the 3.6 only WAS tool as well.

With this warning, when I start WAS v8 in Eclipse, the last output on the console is "XXX server open for e-business". The server status keep staying on "starting..." then the server boot timeout kicks in. The server status became "stopped". I am not able to stop the server either from Eclipse. I am setting the server start using generated script and run on workbench resource as same as it is done on Rational Application Developer.

The Rational Application Developer trial version is working fine to admin the same WAS server. So I believe the WAS installation is fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Esther
    Hi Esther,

to make the WAS tools work with Eclipse and WAS you have to point and run your Eclipse with an IBM JDK. Just modify your eclipse.ini and use the -vm switch and point to the javaw of WAS 7 or
    WAS 8.

Hope this helps, it did to me :-)

Roman
  • EstherY
    EstherY
    2 Posts

‏2012-02-02T14:21:43Z  
    Hi Esther,

to make the WAS tools work with Eclipse and WAS you have to point and run your Eclipse with an IBM JDK. Just modify your eclipse.ini and use the -vm switch and point to the javaw of WAS 7 or
    WAS 8.

Hope this helps, it did to me :-)

Roman
    Roman,

Thank you for your response!

This is all I have in the eclipse.ini file. Do you see anything wrong here? It is still giving me the same warning. I installed WAS8.0.

-startup
    plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.2.0.v20110502.jar
    --launcher.library
    plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.1.100.v20110502
    #--product org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product
    --launcher.defaultAction
    openFile
    --launcher.XXMaxPermSize
    256M
    #--showsplash org.eclipse.platform
    --launcher.XXMaxPermSize
    256m
    --launcher.defaultAction
    openFile
    -vm C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\java\jre\bin\javaw.exe
    -vmargs
    -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
    -Xms40m
    -Xmx512m

Thanks!
    Esther
  • PingWei
    PingWei
    1 Post

‏2012-03-07T08:30:10Z  
    • EstherY
    • ‏2012-02-02T14:21:43Z
    Roman,

Thank you for your response!

This is all I have in the eclipse.ini file. Do you see anything wrong here? It is still giving me the same warning. I installed WAS8.0.

-startup
    plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.2.0.v20110502.jar
    --launcher.library
    plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.1.100.v20110502
    #--product org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product
    --launcher.defaultAction
    openFile
    --launcher.XXMaxPermSize
    256M
    #--showsplash org.eclipse.platform
    --launcher.XXMaxPermSize
    256m
    --launcher.defaultAction
    openFile
    -vm C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\java\jre\bin\javaw.exe
    -vmargs
    -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
    -Xms40m
    -Xmx512m

Thanks!
    Esther
    Try put the path under the -vm
    -vm
    C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\java\jre\bin\javaw.exe
  • bjruddy
    bjruddy
    1 Post

‏2012-09-20T16:50:41Z  
    • PingWei
    • ‏2012-03-07T08:30:10Z
    Try put the path under the -vm
    -vm
    C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\java\jre\bin\javaw.exe
    Im using the Spring Toolkit Eclipse Distribution. When I add the -vm path to my websphere install the client crashes. I think this is because the Spring Toolkit version wants the entire JDK and not just the JRE. Can anyone help on this? Ive been stuck for days.
  • Jacek_Laskowski
    Jacek_Laskowski
    133 Posts

‏2012-09-24T09:21:49Z  
    • bjruddy
    • ‏2012-09-20T16:50:41Z
    Im using the Spring Toolkit Eclipse Distribution. When I add the -vm path to my websphere install the client crashes. I think this is because the Spring Toolkit version wants the entire JDK and not just the JRE. Can anyone help on this? Ive been stuck for days.
    Hi bjruddy,

Could you start a new thread so we won't hijack that one?

Jacek
    Japila :: verba docent, exempla trahunt