Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-15T16:35:52Z by RussellAdams
NaveenkumarE
NaveenkumarE
1 Post

Pinned topic RSCT

‏2011-12-28T21:53:53Z |
I got the below error message on non-clustered node running AIX 5.3 TL 12 after i run ntpdate:
"37F3CC40 P U RMCdaemon RSCT has detected that system time has moved backward"

My question is will this have effect on the non-clustered server? If there is, what is the solution?
Updated on 2012-01-03T21:34:43Z at 2012-01-03T21:34:43Z by alethad
  • alethad
    alethad
    10 Posts

Re: RSCT

‏2012-01-03T21:34:43Z  
    I believe it would affect your apps more than your OS. If your apps are transaction based or a DB then I would think that you need to research what's affected with the vendor. I work for a hospital so changing the time can be bad when it comes to patient data, labs, Radiology results, patient charges...etc. Believe me it's not fun when it happens on a critical system and users are forced to go check their data.
    Do you not have the ntpd daemon running at all times? It's not a requirement but I recommend it so you don't have to worry about the time getting off track. I would recommend using the Navy's ntp servers or some other reliable NTP server.

I even have this monitored to make sure it's up & running. I'm just paranoid since our incident last year.
    Good luck.

You've got to continue to grow, or you're just like last night's cornbread -- stale & dry Loretta Lynn alethad
  • 74X6_priya_srivastava
    3 Posts

‏2013-09-06T06:37:48Z  
    • alethad
    • ‏2012-01-03T21:34:43Z
    I believe it would affect your apps more than your OS. If your apps are transaction based or a DB then I would think that you need to research what's affected with the vendor. I work for a hospital so changing the time can be bad when it comes to patient data, labs, Radiology results, patient charges...etc. Believe me it's not fun when it happens on a critical system and users are forced to go check their data.
    Do you not have the ntpd daemon running at all times? It's not a requirement but I recommend it so you don't have to worry about the time getting off track. I would recommend using the Navy's ntp servers or some other reliable NTP server.

I even have this monitored to make sure it's up & running. I'm just paranoid since our incident last year.
    Good luck.

You've got to continue to grow, or you're just like last night's cornbread -- stale & dry Loretta Lynn alethad

Can you please tell me about the same....As I have got an error in AIX server 6.1.0.0 TL 04 :-

$ errpt -Aj 37F3CC40
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LABEL:          RMCD_2610_120_ER
    Date/Time:       Mon Sep  2 18:44:13 IST 2013
    Type:            PEND
    Resource Name:   RMCdaemon
    Description
    RSCT has detected that system time has moved backward.
    Detail Data
    DETECTING MODULE
    RSCT,rmcd_utils.c,1.69.9.1,6710
    ERROR ID
    6.lwwr.Zw67G/9tU1/20e.1...................
    REFERENCE CODE

Current system time obtained by RSCT
    Mon Sep  2 18:44:13 2013

Last system time saved by RSCT
    Mon Sep  2 18:44:48 2013

Please explain does it affect or harm anything. and how it occurs?

• alethad
    alethad
    10 Posts

‏2013-09-06T14:37:17Z  

Can you please tell me about the same....As I have got an error in AIX server 6.1.0.0 TL 04 :-

$ errpt -Aj 37F3CC40
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LABEL:          RMCD_2610_120_ER
    Date/Time:       Mon Sep  2 18:44:13 IST 2013
    Type:            PEND
    Resource Name:   RMCdaemon
    Description
    RSCT has detected that system time has moved backward.
    Detail Data
    DETECTING MODULE
    RSCT,rmcd_utils.c,1.69.9.1,6710
    ERROR ID
    6.lwwr.Zw67G/9tU1/20e.1...................
    REFERENCE CODE

Current system time obtained by RSCT
    Mon Sep  2 18:44:13 2013

Last system time saved by RSCT
    Mon Sep  2 18:44:48 2013

Please explain does it affect or harm anything. and how it occurs?

If you have a transaction based applicaton then yes it will affect the data. But you should be running xntpd anyway.

We are a hospital so time keeping is very important because we see patients and process millions of transactions daily  which are time based.

As I stated before check your xntpd daemon.  Is is running?  Do you have it configured? 

There are many documents that you can find on the internet that will explain how to configure it.

If your site doesn't have it's own ntp (time server) server then configure your AIX to use the government's time servers.  I use the US Navy's time servers.

Good Luck.

• RussellAdams
    RussellAdams
    5 Posts

‏2013-10-15T16:35:52Z  
    • alethad
    • ‏2013-09-06T14:37:17Z

If you have a transaction based applicaton then yes it will affect the data. But you should be running xntpd anyway.

We are a hospital so time keeping is very important because we see patients and process millions of transactions daily  which are time based.

As I stated before check your xntpd daemon.  Is is running?  Do you have it configured? 

There are many documents that you can find on the internet that will explain how to configure it.

If your site doesn't have it's own ntp (time server) server then configure your AIX to use the government's time servers.  I use the US Navy's time servers.

Good Luck.

Make sure you have xntpd in slewing mode, not stepping. The clock changing abruptly is a symptom of stepping. In /etc/ntp.conf add "slewalways yes".