Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-12-21T16:58:59Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
64 Posts

Pinned topic Packaging Utility - WAS 8 - can't find base package

‏2011-12-20T19:49:55Z |
Since we can't download off of the Internet when installing, I wanted to download the WAS 8 (for now Trial) to a local location.
I used the Linux Packaging Utility and I receive

"The update com.ibm.websphere.WCT.v80.8.0.0.1 does not have its base
offering (com.ibm.websphere.WCT.v80.8.0.0.0.20110503_0200) or any
offfering that can be used as a base offering inthe open set of
repositories. Artifacts required to successfully copy the update may be
missing."

I installed the Windows version and that worked... but then I went back into the Windows version and received the same error as on the Linux version... What's going on?

Thanks
Updated on 2011-12-21T16:58:59Z at 2011-12-21T16:58:59Z by SystemAdmin
  • IleneSeelemann
    IleneSeelemann
    12 Posts

Re: Packaging Utility - WAS 8 - can't find base package

‏2011-12-20T22:17:12Z  
    From the error message, it looks like you are trying to copy the WebSphere Customization Toolkit repository. To get the ILAN version (the freely available, no-charge, non-supported, and non-warranted version) you can use this Packaging Utility command:

pucl copy com.ibm.websphere.WCTILAN.v80 -repositories http://www.ibm.com/software/repositorymanager/com.ibm.websphere.WCTILAN.v80 -target <target_folder> -acceptLicense -prompt

This will create a repository that supports direct install to the latest Fix Pack level of WCT ILAN.

To do the same with non-free WCT, you must connect to the IBM live repository using PPA credentials that have WebSphere Application Server v8 entitlement. If you do not use those credentials, then you will not have access to the base version of WCT, and will see the error message shown in your post. The command to get full WCT is similar to WCTILAN:

pucl copy com.ibm.websphere.WCT.v80 -repositories http://www.ibm.com/software/repositorymanager/com.ibm.websphere.WCT.v80 -target <target_folder> -acceptLicense -prompt

If you already have a local repository with the WCT base version, then you can use the previous command, and set the target_folder to your existing repository. This will add the V8.0.0.1 Fix Pack to your V8.0.0.0 repository.

Hope that helps.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    64 Posts

‏2011-12-20T22:20:57Z  
    I was using:
    http://www.ibm.com/software/repositorymanager/V8WASNDTrial

This worked the first time around in Windows...
    I can give the repository you mentioned a whirl.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    64 Posts

‏2011-12-20T22:59:46Z  
    I'm trying to download the WAS ND 60 day trial and was using:

This worked the first time around in Windows...but not subsequently - and didn't even work the first time in Linux. I didn't try the command line.
    Downloading your repository for WCT did work for me, BTW.
  • IleneSeelemann
    IleneSeelemann
    12 Posts

‏2011-12-20T23:54:38Z  
    I'm trying to download the WAS ND 60 day trial and was using:

This worked the first time around in Windows...but not subsequently - and didn't even work the first time in Linux. I didn't try the command line.
    Downloading your repository for WCT did work for me, BTW.
    For the repository URL:

you will see many offerings listed in the Packaging Utility GUI Source panel, including

IBM WebSphere Application Server
    IBM WebSphere Application Server Trial
    IBM WebSphere Application Server Express
    IBM WebSphere Application Server Express Trial
    IBM WebSphere Application Server ND
    IBM WebSphere Application Server ND Trial

and more.

If creating a new repository, you will find you can only copy the offering that corresponds to the URL you specified. One way to determine if you have access is to check the "Show All" checkbox, and confirm that you can see the 8.0.0.0 level of the offering you need to copy. If 8.0.0.0 is there, then you can copy any level listed and you will get a repository that lets you install to the selected level.

In this case, the URL corresponds to the IBM WebSphere Application Server ND Trial. Is it possible that you selected a different offering? If this is not the case, then more detail on the steps you're taking, and what you see in the GUI, may help.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    64 Posts

‏2011-12-21T13:58:15Z  
    For the repository URL:

you will see many offerings listed in the Packaging Utility GUI Source panel, including

IBM WebSphere Application Server
    IBM WebSphere Application Server Trial
    IBM WebSphere Application Server Express
    IBM WebSphere Application Server Express Trial
    IBM WebSphere Application Server ND
    IBM WebSphere Application Server ND Trial

and more.

If creating a new repository, you will find you can only copy the offering that corresponds to the URL you specified. One way to determine if you have access is to check the "Show All" checkbox, and confirm that you can see the 8.0.0.0 level of the offering you need to copy. If 8.0.0.0 is there, then you can copy any level listed and you will get a repository that lets you install to the selected level.

In this case, the URL corresponds to the IBM WebSphere Application Server ND Trial. Is it possible that you selected a different offering? If this is not the case, then more detail on the steps you're taking, and what you see in the GUI, may help.
    Thanks.

I did "show all" with that repository and selected EVERYTHING and still get an error that it's missing the base package. I don't see the base package there... but as I mention, this repository worked fine the first time I ran under Windows.
    I unselected all of the main products besides WAS ND Trial -- and I get an error that it can't find the WAS ND Trial base package (as opposed to the WCT base package).

"com.ibm.webpsphere.ND.vu80_8.0.0.1 does not have its base offering (com.ibm.websphere.ND.v80_8.0.0.20110503_0200)..."

This seems to be the repository I should be using... but maybe not?
    Looking online at the repository.xml from the above repository I DO SEE THIS - which would seemingly make it the right repository... but somehow the Packaging Utility doesn't see it:

<offering id="com.ibm.websphere.NDTRIAL.v80" version="8.0.0.20110503_0200"><information name="%Offering.name" version="8.0.0.0">
    %Offering.description
    </information>
  • IleneSeelemann
    IleneSeelemann
    12 Posts

‏2011-12-21T16:19:36Z  
    Thanks.

I did "show all" with that repository and selected EVERYTHING and still get an error that it's missing the base package. I don't see the base package there... but as I mention, this repository worked fine the first time I ran under Windows.
    I unselected all of the main products besides WAS ND Trial -- and I get an error that it can't find the WAS ND Trial base package (as opposed to the WCT base package).

"com.ibm.webpsphere.ND.vu80_8.0.0.1 does not have its base offering (com.ibm.websphere.ND.v80_8.0.0.20110503_0200)..."

This seems to be the repository I should be using... but maybe not?
    Looking online at the repository.xml from the above repository I DO SEE THIS - which would seemingly make it the right repository... but somehow the Packaging Utility doesn't see it:

<offering id="com.ibm.websphere.NDTRIAL.v80" version="8.0.0.20110503_0200"><information name="%Offering.name" version="8.0.0.0">
    %Offering.description
    </information>
    The latest error:

appears to be looking for ND, not NDTRIAL.

I have not been able to reproduce these errors when copying ND Trial onto Windows. The only time I get these errors is if I manually select other WAS editions in the PU GUI. The WCT error is particularly strange, because I would expect that only if accessing a completely different repository URL.

My only recommendation is to either try the command line or in the GUI clear out all the repositories and your credentials, and then add back the NDTRIAL URL. I will keep trying to reproduce the problem and let you know if I have any new insights.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    64 Posts

‏2011-12-21T16:58:59Z  
    The latest error:

appears to be looking for ND, not NDTRIAL.

I have not been able to reproduce these errors when copying ND Trial onto Windows. The only time I get these errors is if I manually select other WAS editions in the PU GUI. The WCT error is particularly strange, because I would expect that only if accessing a completely different repository URL.

My only recommendation is to either try the command line or in the GUI clear out all the repositories and your credentials, and then add back the NDTRIAL URL. I will keep trying to reproduce the problem and let you know if I have any new insights.
    ok, if I select ONLY the top level ND Trial checkbox, it downloads properly and contains other ifixes as well.
    Thanks