Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-01-09T14:27:32Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
346 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic DOORS client on DOORS Server after monthly MS security patches applied...

‏2011-12-19T21:45:54Z |
Hello Fellow DOORS Admins,

Has anyone here experienced the DOORS v9.2 & .9.3 clients not able to function on DOORS servers where DWA is installed and was running previous Friday. Then Monday we come into work and DWA has quit. We have discovered that the DOORS client will now not run on the Windows 2008 servers. We suspect that after the corporate IT Dept. applied their monthly batch of MS server security patches the clients cannot get a DOORS license due to MS security patch side effects. Both of these servers were impacted since they had DWA running normally on Friday and now server installed clients are unable to obtain a license with the DOORS client hangs at the step to go get a license. DWA is affected due to a client is run as the InterOp server for its part of the DWA data exchange. I have ensured the server client points to the right license server etc. using fully qualified name.

So far we have several IT folks trying to figure out what has happened that can break the connection or the ability of the DOORS client to get the license it needs to run on the DOORS database server. We are able to run DOORS clients pointing to same license servers from our desktop pc's, and connect to the impacted DOORS database server where DWA is now not able to run."luckily it has not shut down that option".
NORMALLY...it is a pretty straight forward step for the client to get its license even on a server, now however, both of these servers which are located in different domains within our corporate network now cannot.

gsdguy
Updated on 2012-01-09T14:27:32Z at 2012-01-09T14:27:32Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    346 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: DOORS client on DOORS Server after monthly MS security patches applied...

‏2011-12-19T22:38:43Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I know that this is not exactly helpful but given your description of this problem I couldn't resist - here's a quote from the original Alien movie (1979).

Science Officer Ash: "I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies"

On the more helpful front - I might be stating the bleeding obvious here but the DOORS client communicates with the FlexNet\FlexLM license server via a TCP address: <port number> @ <host Name\IP Address>. One or more parts of the TCP address syntax is possibly being blocked, most likely at the interface between the two domains but could also be right at the server as well.

Have the IT people performed a simple Ping or Trace Route test from the server that the DOORS client is installed on to the server that the FlexNet\FlexLM license server is installed on? These two simple tests can provide a wealth of info to help isolate where the comms problem might be.

On the left of field front - might also be worth checking the Registry item "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FLEXlm License Manager" on the server that the DOORS client is installed on - there should be a key under this that has the TCP address being used, worth checking in case it's gone or has mysteriously morphed into something else.

I sure would like to know what exactly introduced this problem and how it was resolved - so if no one posts a solution to your problem please let us know how you go.
    Paul Miller
    Melbourne, Australia
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      346 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-12-20T14:25:13Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Paul...Thanks so much for including humor in your reply...always welcome in my work world supporting DOORS. BTW...wierd that the alien movie had any humor in it..all i remember is the very scarey movie parts of it...

First thing we tried ping with short name, it comes back blank, must ping with fully qualified name and then it is ok.
      Good idea to do a tracert and see the entire path. will report back with findings.

Also, took a look at the registry for flexlm settings info and that was exactly as has been for life of the DOORS server. port#@servername.abc.de.ghijkl.com(same settings as on a typical desktop pc for client license search. A slight difference here is that we are not defining the license server by ip address format of ###.###.###.### but using the fully qualified name with port # 19353, we have never defined our license servers in flexlm settings with ip #, always have used port#@serverfullyqualifiednames.

Its dissappointing when you work on a project for several weeks to get DWA 1.4.0.4 working and it does great for 3 weeks until the MS security patches appear to break it over the weekend.."head-shaking"..."look of dismay on face"...

Don't worry...when we do get it sorted out, i will gladly share what we discover with my friendly DOORS Admin associates here on the forumn... :)

gsdguy
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        346 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-01-09T14:27:32Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        All those interested:

We found out that the monthly application of the MS Security Patches broke some connectivity on our DOORS server.
        We had to go into the Network Connections -> Local Area Connections -> Properties -> Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)-> Properties-> General-> Advanced-> DNS-> Append These Suffixes.
        And then Add In all of our DOORS domains fully qualified names to the list.
        Then DWA came back to life almost immediately.

gsdguy