Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-12-31T15:14:33Z by SystemAdmin
zigam
zigam
4 Posts

Pinned topic Converting Business Process diagram to Class diagram

‏2011-12-18T18:36:18Z |
Can anybody tell me how can I convert Business Process diagram to Class diagram in Rational System Architect? There has to be a way that this would be done automatically; almost every software can do that, but I cannot find anything on the internet that would tell me how to do that.

Thanks for your reply.
Updated on 2011-12-31T15:14:33Z at 2011-12-31T15:14:33Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1061 Posts

Re: Converting Business Process diagram to Class diagram

‏2011-12-19T13:31:25Z  
    Hi zigam

System Architect doesn't support a Business Process to Class diagram conversion.

I would have assumed that this was because one is a 'flow' diagram, and the other 'static'. (An Activity diagram might be more appropriate!)

What type of conversion takes place in other tools? (I have only used System Architect!)

However, if I was to guess; you would expect the Process to become a Class and the Sequence Flow to become an Association?
    Once the 'conversion' has taken place, the Class definitions would then have their Class Attributes and Methods, etc. added.

Even after this conversion, I would expect the name of a Process to look 'unusual' as the name of a Class.
    It would be possible to export as a CSV file, all the BPMN definitions.
    To then update the Package property and import them as Class definitions.
    This would leave the Associations to complete manually!

Another alternative, would be to write a VBA macro.
    This would allow for a more 'complex' conversion, that could include Associations.

Good luck.
    Alan
  • zigam
    zigam
    4 Posts

‏2011-12-23T17:55:47Z  
    Hi zigam

System Architect doesn't support a Business Process to Class diagram conversion.

I would have assumed that this was because one is a 'flow' diagram, and the other 'static'. (An Activity diagram might be more appropriate!)

What type of conversion takes place in other tools? (I have only used System Architect!)

However, if I was to guess; you would expect the Process to become a Class and the Sequence Flow to become an Association?
    Once the 'conversion' has taken place, the Class definitions would then have their Class Attributes and Methods, etc. added.

Even after this conversion, I would expect the name of a Process to look 'unusual' as the name of a Class.
    It would be possible to export as a CSV file, all the BPMN definitions.
    To then update the Package property and import them as Class definitions.
    This would leave the Associations to complete manually!

Another alternative, would be to write a VBA macro.
    This would allow for a more 'complex' conversion, that could include Associations.

Good luck.
    Alan
    Thank you for your replay!

I don't know, I thought I was some programs that do that, but what I was actually looking at was converting ER diagram to class diagram or use case diagram....I just thought there should be a way to do that too. There are also some scripts for SA that do that.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1061 Posts

‏2011-12-31T15:14:33Z  
    • zigam
    • ‏2011-12-23T17:55:47Z
    Thank you for your replay!

I don't know, I thought I was some programs that do that, but what I was actually looking at was converting ER diagram to class diagram or use case diagram....I just thought there should be a way to do that too. There are also some scripts for SA that do that.
    Hi Ziga

System Architect will allow a conversion between an Entity Relation diagram and a Class diagram.
    The Dictionary menu should contain a "Convert to Class Diagram..." option.

The Entities will map to Classes and their Relationships become Associations.
    The Attributes are mapped to Class Attributes - you are left to fill in the Methods for each of the classes.

Good luck.
    Alan