Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-02-26T09:46:18Z by beach_bum
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
7754 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Datastage & Automated Testing

‏2011-12-09T03:08:39Z |
Our team has recently adopted some agile development practices. One practice we are especially interested in is the idea of having an automated test suite running against our development code. This would help us quickly spot cases were new DS logic breaks existing regression tests and also allow us to focus 'live' testing on new code.

So who is doing this and do you have any words of wisdom regarding possible tools/approach etc? In other environments (Java etc) there appears to be several suites of open source material to support automated testing but I've seen nothing for DS.

I would welcome any suggestions which would help us avoid reinventing the wheel!
Updated on 2012-02-26T09:46:18Z at 2012-02-26T09:46:18Z by beach_bum
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7754 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Datastage & Automated Testing

‏2012-02-25T20:13:36Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    This is surprising - I expected that someone out there would have implemented automated testing with DataStage.

Perhaps I should rephrase the question to be more generic - how are you all testing right now?

At our site we are testing manually - which consumes a lot of time. There has to be an automated approach which would allow
    i) hands-off regression testing - would save a lot of time and allow for continuous integration
    ii) writing the tests before the coding - to catch errors early in the development cycle

I would welcome comments on testing with DS- I want to coach my team towards improving code quality through automating our testing as much as possible, allowing us to focus on the exceptions.
    • beach_bum
      beach_bum
      49 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Datastage & Automated Testing

‏2012-02-26T09:46:18Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Howdy cyberhiker,

I'm guessing one reason why you haven't received a response is that your questions seem to be more suitable for your local agile and/ or DS service provider, than a question for a technical forum meant to supplement the fine manual and personal experience.

It's just a guess though :)

Cheerio,
      Adi