Topic
  • 9 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-06-11T11:29:20Z by eliza925994
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
757 Posts

Pinned topic Manage Custom Properties

‏2009-04-30T20:35:05Z |
I've come across an issue that may be a result of something I did or an issue with the software. I had created a new property under Tools-Manage Properties and assigned it to a couple of computers. I then changed the name of the property to something else. What then happened is that under Computer Properties both the old AND new names of the property appeared. To be safe I deleted both properties from amange properties and removed the settings from the computers. What's odd is that the property no longer appears under manage properties but if I right click, 'Edit Settings' on a computer then click 'Add' both settings that I've deleted appear in the 'Setting Name:' drop down list. Is there a way to remove these entries from the 'Add Custom Setting' drop down list? I don't want there to be any confusion in the use of the these properties. I'm wondering if this has something to do with the fact that in computer settings the property shows up as being part of the 'local' site? Another weird thing I've seen is that after I had deleted both of these properties they seemed to reappear and in duplicate! My custom property appeared in the manage properties list twice with exactly the same name and relevance.
My ultimate goal was to create some kind of 'flag' value that I could use to mark some of my machines based on weither they were part of my US Sales force or Canadian Sales force. My plan was to create two custom properties _BESClient_US_SalesComputer and _BESClient_CAN_SalesComputer. As my sales users are almost strictly remote users I was going to create seperate self-extracting install packages for each group setting the necessary property value to 1 using the clientsettings.cfg file. Then I could create an automatic group based on this property. If anyone has a better idea to accomplish this please let me know.
  • jessewk
    jessewk
    150 Posts

Re: Manage Custom Properties

‏2009-04-30T22:29:00Z  
    I'm not sure I understand completely, but to completely delete a setting you need to target your computers with an action containing the 'setting delete' command. Example:

setting delete "SettingName" on "{parameter "action issue date" of action}" for client
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    757 Posts

‏2009-05-04T20:54:31Z  
    The issue I seem to be having is the difference between "Tools > Manage Properties" and right click "Edit Computer Settings" > "Add"

I've created a custom property using Tools > Manage Properties. I then apply this property to a brand new client install using the clientsettings.cfg file. Everything is OK
    I now want to apply this property to a computer with BigFix already installed. If I right click on the computer and click Add, select my custom property from the drop down list it appears to duplicate the custom property in the "Tools > Manage Properties" list. Is this normal? If I remove the custom property from the computer I applied it to using the edit computer settings method the duplicate entry doesn't seem to get removed from the "Tools > Manage Properties" list until the next day. It's almost like there is some kind of database cleanup process that runs at night.
    I guess my question is... is applying a custom property using the "edit computer settings' wrong? Does it HAVE to be applied using a custom Task? If so why does the custom property appear in the drop down list under the Add button in Edit Computer Settings?
  • BenKus
    BenKus
    480 Posts

‏2009-06-07T19:22:47Z  
    Hey j2johnson,

I think the confusion here is the difference between a setting and a property and what the console does when a setting is created... Here is a quick recap (I know you already know much of this info):
    • Settings are names/values the agent tracks (in Windows they are in the registry).
    • Properties return info from the agents.
    • When you create a setting, the console automatically will create a property to retrieve the setting for you (I think this is why you see the properties reappear after deleting them and re-adding the setting).
    • When you use a custom task to change a setting, the console doesn't try to create the property.
    • Deleting the setting on a computer won't delete the property and deleting the property won't delete the settings on a computer.

So hopefully that helps explain much of the behavior... although I am not clear why the property would ever be removed automatically by the console...

Ben
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    757 Posts

‏2009-06-08T13:18:04Z  
    Thanks Ben, I think that does clear it up a little bit thanks. Is it normal to be able to create two properties with exactly the same name? I think this is where the confusion lies. I had initally created a property manually in Manage Properties, then had created a setting (not with a custom taks) to match which then must have automatically created a property. I guess what the issue was is that I named my initially create property and my manually created setting the same name which created the appearance of a "duplicate" entry in the Manage Properties window when the setting automatically created its corresponding Property.
  • Oisin91
    Oisin91
    1 Post

‏2010-03-22T16:10:34Z  
    I too have a custom setting that is not specified/in use on any client computer and I would like to delete the custom setting from the BigFix management environment. I will not be using this setting in the future and don't want to see it on the list when I manually edit computer settings and assign a setting name. Any advice on how I can achieve this is appreciated.
    Thank You
  • BenKus
    BenKus
    480 Posts

‏2010-03-22T23:28:41Z  
    Hi Oisin,

See Jesse's post above:
    setting delete "SettingName" on "{parameter "action issue date" of action}" for client

Ben
  • mxc0bbn
    mxc0bbn
    1 Post

‏2014-04-04T00:03:50Z  
    • BenKus
    • ‏2010-03-22T23:28:41Z
    Hi Oisin,

See Jesse's post above:

Ben

This doesn't quite work the way you would think it should.

Yes, 'setting delete' will "remove" the setting from the list of "Custom Properties" when you right-click and select "Edit Computer Settings", BUT if you have an analysis or a Task with the relevance:

exists setting "<Whatever Your Setting is>" of client

It will still evaluate to "True".  In my case I have an automatic computer group that I can't depopulate because it's still seeing that condition as true.  The only way I can get it to evaluate as False in Windows is to remove the Reg key under "Enterprise Client\Settings\Client"

In *NIX the setting shows up in the "besclient.config" file, but even removing it from the file doesn't work as it replaces the line in the file when a "Force Refresh" is done.

Any suggestions at this point would be great.  I can't seem to find where in *NIX it stores that property to get rid of it

• jgstew
    jgstew
    52 Posts

‏2014-04-04T13:47:59Z  
    • mxc0bbn
    • ‏2014-04-04T00:03:50Z

This doesn't quite work the way you would think it should.

Yes, 'setting delete' will "remove" the setting from the list of "Custom Properties" when you right-click and select "Edit Computer Settings", BUT if you have an analysis or a Task with the relevance:

exists setting "<Whatever Your Setting is>" of client

It will still evaluate to "True".  In my case I have an automatic computer group that I can't depopulate because it's still seeing that condition as true.  The only way I can get it to evaluate as False in Windows is to remove the Reg key under "Enterprise Client\Settings\Client"

In *NIX the setting shows up in the "besclient.config" file, but even removing it from the file doesn't work as it replaces the line in the file when a "Force Refresh" is done.

Any suggestions at this point would be great.  I can't seem to find where in *NIX it stores that property to get rid of it

You need to not just check for the existence of the setting, but also the value of it. This will solve your issue.

Relevance for your task to add computers to the automatic group:

not exists setting "Opt_In_to_Group" whose(value of it as boolean) of client

Actionscript:

setting "Opt_In_to_Group"="True" on "{parameter "action issue date" of action}" for client

Relevance for your group or de-opt task:

(exists setting "Opt_In_to_Group" whose(value of it as boolean) of client)

• eliza925994
    eliza925994
    1 Post

‏2014-06-11T11:29:20Z  

Any Service Now admin has probably worked with system properties in some form or fashion, and whether you're theming your instance or configuring the service catalog, there are many existing system properties that allow you to configure ServiceNow. While there are numerous existing properties, you can also create new system properties for your own scripts and custom applications.
    A system property is simply a record on the sys properties table that can be be called through the server side method gs.getProperty(<property name>).