Topic
  • 50 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-03-11T00:15:54Z by CarloMerhi
cstoneba
cstoneba
182 Posts

Pinned topic Patching Status Automated Report

‏2011-03-14T16:13:54Z |
We are moving from a MS patching solution to BigFix for Server Patching. However, with the MS product, a report would get cut automatically during/after a patching window notifiying the operator of action statuses for the effected assets.

the report below is a step in the right direction, but I'm not sure if it is possible to email it to only a specific DL that admins the assets, or the operator that queued up the action would be nice.

Does anyone have any automation in place for patching reports?

http://forum.bigfix.com/viewtopic.php?id=6754
  • tscott91
    tscott91
    41 Posts

Re: Patching Status Automated Report

‏2011-04-12T17:25:30Z  
    This is what I want too.. I want to be emailed a report after an action is taken with the status of each computer (IE: Failed, Fixed, Pending Restart, etc)..

We are starting a new patching policy and need a report automatically generated and emailed..

Ideas? I would think this would be a built in / canned report but can't find one.

Thanks
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    599 Posts

‏2011-04-13T22:26:55Z  
    You guys might have seen from other threads that engineering is aware of this as a common request.
    This is a common use case that all of us would have liked to have supported by the product out of the box.

Work with me and maybe we can come up with a scheme that will work. There are a few moving parts, so not a click and run scenario.

1. I have created a report that will list the action status for all actions that have just ended base on a hard coded timeframe.
    o Note that a policy action with no end date will get excluded.
    o Right now the hard code says "7 *day". We will want to change this later.
    o It filters for only Actions that start with "MS" for Microsoft bulletin. If you want this to apply for any actions, we need to remove the statement (name of source fixlet of it starts with "MS").
    The report can be downloaded here: http://leewei.com/bigfix/prod/forum/patch_status_completion_report.beswrpt

2. Use Scheduled Activities in Web Reports to schedule for this report to be emailed whenever the following condition is true. It is important to know that Scheduled Activities will decide if a report should be sent whenever Web Reports Refreshes the Cache. Which by default is 20 minutes. You can determine your setting by going to menu (8.x) Administration/Database Settings/Cache Settings.
    Select these options in Activity Triggers:
    • Generate report on every refresh
    • Match Relevance Conditions/ Generate report when relevance is true
    • Condition is as follows, but change 7*day to your refresh interval, such as the default of 20*minute
    (it > 0) of number of results of bes actions whose (exists end date of it and name of source fixlet of it starts with "MS" and now > ((end date of it as string & " " & end time_of_day of it as string & " " & local time zone as string) as time) and now - ((end date of it as string & " " & end time_of_day of it as string & " " & local time zone as string) as time) < 7*day)
    3. Now that we see how the end date filter is hard coded, go back to the report and change the 7*day used for testing to match the Web Reports refresh interval.

Sorry that there are a few moving parts. If someone tries this and has success, please let us know.

Lee Wei
    http://leewei.com/bigfix/prod/forum/patch_status_completion_report.png
  • tscott91
    tscott91
    41 Posts

‏2011-04-14T13:03:38Z  
    I really appreciate you tackling this.. However, I'm a bit confused..

So the gist is this report will show any actions that have a "MS*" fixlet in them that have been issued within the past 7 days? You say it filters ACTIONS that start with "MS" but I'm showing actions that don't start with "MS", which I prefer anyways just want to clarify.

The part I'm also confused about is changing the "< 7*day" to match the refresh interval? Can you explain deeper?

Thanks!
  • cstoneba
    cstoneba
    182 Posts

‏2011-04-14T13:08:48Z  
    Nice Lee. Here are my comments though:

1) the Start Date and End Dates are nice, but I feel that the actual start time of the action is more important to me. Just because the Start date is now doesn't mean that it will run now. In our environment, we have a start date but an action contstraint is set until the Maintenance Window is true. So the actual time the action begins to run may be better
    2) No expired actions - I understand that they shouldn't be included, but what if your action's stop time ends before your 20min report email cycles? I could see actions being skipped because they would have a status of 'expired'
    3) It would be great if the email could sent to the 'issued by' operator
    4) The built in filter doesn't allow for filtering based off the operator. Can a filter be added to the actual report that gives this ability?
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    599 Posts

‏2011-04-14T15:27:25Z  
    cstoneba
    1) the Start Date and End Dates are nice, but I feel that the actual start time of the action is more important to me. Just because the Start date is now doesn't mean that it will run now. In our environment, we have a start date but an action contstraint is set until the Maintenance Window is true. So the actual time the action begins to run may be better
    This is still not available in Session Relevance. http://forum.bigfix.com/viewtopic.php?id=6798

2) No expired actions - I understand that they shouldn't be included, but what if your action's stop time ends before your 20min report email cycles? could see actions being skipped because they would have a status of 'expired'
    Expired actions will be included. I meant no policy actions, which are actions without an end date/time.

3) It would be great if the email could sent to the 'issued by' operator
    BigFix does not have the email address of the console operator. When we create a new user account, the username is actually used for the purpose of creating the digital certificate.
    One way that this might work is if the username of the console operator is the same as their email address. Then we can possibly post pend the email domain behind the user name.

4) The built in filter doesn't allow for filtering based off the operator. Can a filter be added to the actual report that gives this ability?
    I have excluded any type of filtering because it will prevent the report from being scheduled and email automatically.
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    599 Posts

‏2011-04-14T15:38:22Z  
    tscott
    So the gist is this report will show any actions that have a "MS*" fixlet in them that have been issued within the past 7 days? You say it filters ACTIONS that start with "MS" but I'm showing actions that don't start with "MS", which I prefer anyways just want to clarify.
    Not issued within the last 7 days, rather the End Date is within the last 7 days.
    There is a filter statement in there (name of source fixlet of it starts with "MS"), so yes, it should be for Fixlets with names starting with MS.
    Note that when we can an action, you can change the name of the Action, but I am filtering base on the name of the "source Fixlet".

The part I'm also confused about is changing the "< 7*day" to match the refresh interval? Can you explain deeper?
    This report is all about Scheduled Activities, which is the ability to automatically export, email, or custom action an existing report.
    Web Reports determine when a scheduled report should be executed at every refresh cache intervals. This is when Web Reports go to the database to pull out all the new changes. By default, this happens every 20 minutes.
    So every refresh cache intervals, we have an opportunity to decide if this report should be emailed. The filter will ensure that only actions ended within this internal are being reported.
    This is confusing, please do ask again!
  • tscott91
    tscott91
    41 Posts

‏2011-04-14T15:41:52Z  
    So what were you saying about changing the <7*day to match? We should change it to < 20*minutes ?
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    599 Posts

‏2011-04-14T15:47:25Z  
    You should change it to the Refresh Cache interval of your Web Reports server.
    For version 8.x, this is in the menu Administration/Database Settings/Cache Settings.
  • tscott91
    tscott91
    41 Posts

‏2011-04-14T18:13:42Z  
    So if it was 1200 seconds what syntax do I use? "<1200*seconds" ?

---OFF TOPIC---
    I am currently running 8.0.627.. Is there any significant changes, other than the IBM Branding, to go 8.1.551.0?

Thanks!
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    599 Posts

‏2011-04-14T20:11:21Z  
    No plurals in the time intervals, so "1200*second", "7*day", "60*minute".

Here is the link of the changes from 8.0 to 8.1.
    http://support.bigfix.com/bes/changes/changes-81.html

This link provides a more detailed listing.
    Note the section on Web Reports.
    http://support.bigfix.com/bes/changes/fullchangelist-81.txt
  • tscott91
    tscott91
    41 Posts

‏2011-04-15T12:29:36Z  
    I tried this last night and didn't get emailed.. Here is what I did..

1. Downloaded your report and changed the 7*day to 1200*second and then imported it.
    2. Added report to scheduled with a start time and no expire time. Changed the trigger to generate on every refresh. Checked the match relevance box and copied / pasted your relevance changing the 7*day to 1200*second.
    3. Created an action to execute this morning at 4:00AM with a few MS fixlets..

I never received an email..

Let me know what you'd like me to do .

Thanks!
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    599 Posts

‏2011-04-15T13:40:02Z  
    tscott
    2. Added report to scheduled with a start time and no expire time. Changed the trigger to generate on every refresh. Checked the match relevance box and copied / pasted your relevance changing the 7*day to 1200*second.
    The intent of this use case is to send out an email on the statuses of actions after it expired/ended, so it will not work if you did not specify the end date/time.
  • tscott91
    tscott91
    41 Posts

‏2011-04-15T13:42:43Z  
    So it won't email me until AFTER the action expires? I did specify an end date "4/16/2011 4:27:50 PM"..
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    599 Posts

‏2011-04-15T13:52:42Z  
    Oh, I thought that was the criteria - to send a report after the action expires. As it is right now, we won't get the email until the end date.
    We can change the criteria and filter, but we have to come up with a workable scenario.
    For example, we can send a report everyday, but over what actions?

I went back and read your original post, and you did say "after an action is taken", which I took it to mean" after an action has ended", sorry.
  • tscott91
    tscott91
    41 Posts

‏2011-04-15T13:58:49Z  
    Don't be sorry! You're help and reports are GREATLY appreciated..

I see the hairiness of the situation and I honestly can't think of a great answer to your question..

Basically, I'm interested in a report that gives me the status of each PC of the action but I want that report pretty much first thing in the morning.. I guess I can just put in an end date and have the action only last a few hours if that would be the easiest..
  • cstoneba
    cstoneba
    182 Posts

‏2011-04-15T19:37:39Z  
    Lee, in response to your post #6,

1) Action start times - how is it being done in this report?: http://forum.bigfix.com/viewtopic.php?pid=28870
    2) I notice that our web reports cache refresh is occuring every 15sec. Is that too often?
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    599 Posts

‏2011-04-15T20:05:18Z  
    Chris,

1) Action start times - how is it being done in this report?: http://forum.bigfix.com/viewtopic.php?pid=28870
    The action start time is when the action is "open" and become valid to run.
    For example, if the start time is 12AM, but a computer do not actually start performing the steps until 9AM, it will still say 12AM.
    If you do not specify a start time, that means start immediate, and I use the "issue date" as the start time.

2) I notice that our web reports cache refresh is occuring every 15sec. Is that too often?
    Yes, this is too often, even for small deployments. 15 seconds is the default for Console Refresh.
    I would definitely back this off and start with the default of 20 minutes.
    When you are doing testing and want to see the most current data, just goto admin/database settings and click "refresh cache" to manual refresh.
  • tscott91
    tscott91
    41 Posts

‏2011-04-17T01:58:12Z  
    One issue I've seen.. When I have this report emailed to me in HTML it is HUGE.. That is fine but it's just a html email which I can't filter, etc..

If I choose CSV to email it in, it's till huge (which is fine as it's the amount of PC's and fixlets that decide the size) but when opening in Excel it's unusable.. I'm guessing it's because it's in XML?
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    599 Posts

‏2011-04-18T18:22:16Z  
    I did a quick test on my system and see that it takes about 700 bytes per record.
    With my 250 rows of results, the report is about 175K.
    If you have 3000 rows, it would be 2.1MB. So I can see how the file will get big.
    On the other hand, sending a report with 3,000 rows is arguably hard to read.
    Maybe you would want to filter to only computers reporting failed, so something else to reduce the row count.
  • tscott91
    tscott91
    41 Posts

‏2011-04-18T18:22:59Z  
    Yea, that's what I was thinking too.. Filter out the "completed" and show everything else.. Possible?
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    599 Posts

‏2011-04-18T18:33:50Z  
    In the report, you will find only one session relevance statement.
    You can change "results" to:

results whose (status of it = bes action status fixed)

Other possible statuses are shown below.

bes action status constrained: bes action status
    bes action status download failed: bes action status
    bes action status error: bes action status
    bes action status evaluating: bes action status
    bes action status expired: bes action status
    bes action status failed: bes action status
    bes action status fixed: bes action status
    bes action status invalid signature: bes action status
    bes action status irrelevant: bes action status
    bes action status locked: bes action status
    bes action status offers disabled: bes action status
    bes action status pending downloads: bes action status
    bes action status pending login: bes action status
    bes action status pending message: bes action status
    bes action status pending offer: bes action status
    bes action status pending restart: bes action status
    bes action status postponed: bes action status
    bes action status running: bes action status
    bes action status unreported: bes action status
    bes action status user cancelled: bes action status
    bes action status waiting: bes action status
  • tscott91
    tscott91
    41 Posts

‏2011-04-18T19:23:39Z  
    Lee Wei
    In the report, you will find only one session relevance statement.
    You can change "results" to:

results whose (status of it = bes action status fixed)

Other possible statuses are shown below.

bes action status constrained: bes action status
    bes action status download failed: bes action status
    bes action status error: bes action status
    bes action status evaluating: bes action status
    bes action status expired: bes action status
    bes action status failed: bes action status
    bes action status fixed: bes action status
    bes action status invalid signature: bes action status
    bes action status irrelevant: bes action status
    bes action status locked: bes action status
    bes action status offers disabled: bes action status
    bes action status pending downloads: bes action status
    bes action status pending login: bes action status
    bes action status pending message: bes action status
    bes action status pending offer: bes action status
    bes action status pending restart: bes action status
    bes action status postponed: bes action status
    bes action status running: bes action status
    bes action status unreported: bes action status
    bes action status user cancelled: bes action status
    bes action status waiting: bes action status
    So if I wanted to show all but "Completed" what would my statement be? I don't even see "completed" in your list.

Thanks
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    599 Posts

‏2011-04-18T19:44:53Z  
    It would be the same statement for Fixed.
    The Console shows Completed for successful Tasks, and
    Fixed for successful Fixlets.
  • tscott91
    tscott91
    41 Posts

‏2011-04-19T12:11:04Z  
    Ok cool but I want to get emailed all BUT the "Fixed" / "completed" so would I use:

results whose (status of it bes action status fixed) or results whose (status of it not = bes action status fixed)

Sorry, I know this is simpleton..
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    599 Posts

‏2011-04-19T15:52:11Z  
    The syntax is:

results whose (status of it != bes action status fixed)
    or

results whose (status of it is not bes action status fixed)
  • cstoneba
    cstoneba
    182 Posts

‏2011-04-19T17:49:15Z  
    I need a little help. I removed the "action starts with MS" code, and our cache refresh is 5 minutes, so I changed the code in the report to "5*minute." However, I am still seeing actions that are 'constrained', and also are 'fixed', even though the end time of the action isn't within the last 5 minutes. Also, because of the amount of results this report will return, I will need to make a seperate report for each of our groups. Can the action results be filtered by the value of a managed property so that I only see the actions towards specific groups of assets that I want to see?

server1 42941 BASELINE_ACTION_name Open Fixed 2011-04-14 08:17:33 2011-04-16 20:00:00 2011-04-23 23:59:20 operator
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    599 Posts

‏2011-04-19T21:28:44Z  
    cstoneba
    I need a little help. I removed the "action starts with MS" code, and our cache refresh is 5 minutes, so I changed the code in the report to "5*minute." However, I am still seeing actions that are 'constrained', and also are 'fixed', even though the end time of the action isn't within the last 5 minutes.
    Please post the sessions relevance that is returning incorrect results.

Also, because of the amount of results this report will return, I will need to make a seperate report for each of our groups. Can the action results be filtered by the value of a managed property so that I only see the actions towards specific groups of assets that I want to see?
    The creation method we use to return the BES Action Results is:
    results of <bes action>: bes action result

We can use a different form that will return only results from a set of computers:
    result from <bes computer> of <bes action>: bes action result

So we can add an statements in place of <bes computer> that returns a set of bes computers.
  • cstoneba
    cstoneba
    182 Posts

‏2011-04-20T13:13:25Z  
    ... of results of bes actions whose (exists end date of it and now - ((end date of it as string & " " & end time_of_day of it as string & " " & local time zone as string) as time) < 5*minute) ?>

Restrict results:
    great, I'll play around with only showing results from bes computers that contains a specific value of a managed property
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    599 Posts

‏2011-04-20T16:23:23Z  
    Your relevance looks good. I have no idea why the data would be incorrect.
    You will need to play with it a little I guess.
  • cstoneba
    cstoneba
    182 Posts

‏2011-04-21T16:35:17Z  
    so let me see if I am understanding this properly. This code will show all actions that have an end time AND now - that endtime is less than 5 minutes. Is that correct?

if so, I have no idea why I am seeing so many action results from this report.
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    599 Posts

‏2011-04-21T21:32:39Z  
    On additional thoughts, the end time comparison does not work well.
    The Action End Time is meant for local time zones. So an Action that is intended to end at 10:00PM will actually end at the 10:00PM for different time zones.
    Sorry that I did not think this through in the first place.
  • cstoneba
    cstoneba
    182 Posts

‏2011-04-22T13:38:10Z  
    makes sense, but I don't think mine is a tz issue.

so right now for me it is 4/21/11 at 8:40am, however this is my first result in the report, and now that I think about it, has been there for quite some time (along with hundreds and hundreds of others). I can't think of any reason why this action would show if my relevance is only suppose to be showing actions with an end time and now-end time < 5minutes

STATE STATUS ISSUED START END
    Open Fixed 2011-04-14 08:17:33 2011-04-16 20:00:00 2011-04-23 23:59:20
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    599 Posts

‏2011-04-22T15:58:41Z  
    Chris,

Try this statement instead:
    ... of results of bes actions whose (
    exists end date of it and
    now > ((end date of it as string & " " & end time_of_day of it as string & " " & local time zone as string) as time) and
    now - ((end date of it as string & " " & end time_of_day of it as string & " " & local time zone as string) as time) < 5*minute
    )
  • cstoneba
    cstoneba
    182 Posts

‏2011-04-22T16:14:47Z  
    that looks much better. I did a test action and had it stop 3 minutes out, and it was the only action that showed up in the report, so that's good. Would the schedule trigger relevance be the same as your original code, or would it be modified too?
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    599 Posts

‏2011-04-22T16:23:47Z  
    Yes, we need to use the same constrains for the trigger statement as well.
  • cstoneba
    cstoneba
    182 Posts

‏2011-04-22T16:49:49Z  
    thanks for your help Lee.
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    599 Posts

‏2011-04-22T16:55:49Z  
    I have updated the download file with the latest and correct filter statements. Thanks for being persistent in tracking this down.
  • tscott91
    tscott91
    41 Posts

‏2011-05-12T12:40:15Z  
    Lee Wei
    The syntax is:

results whose (status of it != bes action status fixed)
    or

results whose (status of it is not bes action status fixed)Lee, just now getting around to editing this... So I'm guessing the code I need to edit is below but not sure what I need to change.. I'd like to filter OUT: Fixed and Not Relevant and then display the rest. I don't want to jack the report so was hoping you can edit the code below for me. Thanks

results of bes actions whose (exists end date of it and name of source fixlet of it starts with "MS" and now > ((end date of it as string & " " & end time_of_day of it as string & " " & local time zone as string) as time) and now - ((end date of it as string & " " & end time_of_day of it as string & " " & local time zone as string) as time) < 7*day) ?>
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    599 Posts

‏2011-05-12T17:25:09Z  
    Please try this:

results color=redwhose (status of it !=bes action status fixed and relevant flag of results (computer of it , source fixlet of action of it))[/color] of bes actions whose (exists end date of it and name of source fixlet of it starts with "MS" and now > ((end date of it as string & " " & end time_of_day of it as string & " " & local time zone as string) as time) and now - ((end date of it as string & " " & end time_of_day of it as string & " " & local time zone as string) as time) < 7 * day)
  • tscott91
    tscott91
    41 Posts

‏2011-05-12T17:33:18Z  
    I think that worked! Thanks!!
  • tscott91
    tscott91
    41 Posts

‏2011-05-20T17:49:33Z  
    Lee, I'm wondering if I could use this report modified to display the following..

"Systematic listing of all Windows servers patches applied from 6/30/2010 to present."

When I run this report I like the look and even though it doesn't show the exact date / time the server may have gotten a patch it shows when the action started, which may be good enough unless you know of a report that does better..

I would think you could edit it (maybe not, I don't know) so that it will display all from that far back.. But maybe not being that this report uses that end date to display things..

Let me know..

Thanks!
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    599 Posts

‏2011-05-20T18:50:00Z  
    What about this report?
    It sounds close to what you need because you can choose a date range, and and if you have the Windows Servers as a group, we can choose that as well.
    http://forum.bigfix.com/viewtopic.php?id=3948
  • tscott91
    tscott91
    41 Posts

‏2011-05-20T19:04:18Z  
    Perfect Lee! Thanks!!
  • cstoneba
    cstoneba
    182 Posts

‏2011-06-16T13:03:52Z  
    I like this report, but have one problem. If we have a maintenance window for a server from midnight to 03:00, and the action runs from that time, i would receive the notification email at 03:05. That doesn't give me anytime to fix any failed patches if there are any.

Is it possible to trigger the email 15 minutes after the action start time? That way, if there are failures, I have time to fix them before the window closes. The downside is the action may stay running for more than 15 minutes...
  • cstoneba
    cstoneba
    182 Posts

‏2011-09-19T15:14:52Z  
    Bring this topic back up. Is there anyway to report from the start time, not the stop time?
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    599 Posts

‏2011-09-19T20:19:26Z  
    Post #18 touched on this question.
    Session Relevance knows about the time when the action is issued by the admin, but not the time when the endpoint actually takes action.
    Which one are you referring to?
  • cstoneba
    cstoneba
    182 Posts

‏2011-09-20T14:35:27Z  
    What i really need is to run the report when the endpoint actually takes the action, because that's the real time, not when the action was just queued up.
  • Lee Wei
    Lee Wei
    599 Posts

‏2011-09-20T17:47:28Z  
    Unfortunately Session Relevance does not have the start time of the actions.
    http://forum.bigfix.com/viewtopic.php?id=6798
  • cstoneba
    cstoneba
    182 Posts

‏2011-09-20T18:38:55Z  
    understood. So what is my work around? My end goal is to get automated reports of patching status during maintenance windows. After the maintenance window is too late because if a patch failed, there is no time left to resolve it.
  • CarloMerhi
    CarloMerhi
    2 Posts

‏2014-03-11T00:15:54Z  
    • Lee Wei
    • ‏2011-09-20T17:47:28Z
    Unfortunately Session Relevance does not have the start time of the actions.
    http://forum.bigfix.com/viewtopic.php?id=6798

Is there any update on this request/capability? Desperately need this report for my client.

Thanks, Lee!